Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

John Lighting mods Options
scradge
#1 Posted : 02 August 2018 17:37:21

Groups: Registered

Ok, so its been a number of years since i did any fine detail models so i figured whilst building the jag that i would tweak my model in a way that i felt more comfortable with,
I.E. the electrics / lights

So first of all ill start with the steering column.

As i said in on of the other rooms i noticed whilst building the jag that there seemed to be space for another switch on the steering column where the indicator / light stalk fits in,

Indeed the indicator stalk its self has an armature on it that lines up perfectly with where the button on the microswitches seem to be.

There was a small nobble that was preventing the switch from fitting in the gap as this kept the switch pushed down when i tried.

This was removed by breaking it off with some needle nosed pliers

This allowed the swtich to fit in and the cable to run down the channel next to the steering shaft.

the whole thing goes together pretty much the same at this point,

So next up ill be doing some more with interior lights. and finding ways of getting a more accurate representation,

Got some SMD LED's on order and ill be keeping you all posted on my progress!
File Attachment(s):
jagcolumnimg.jpg (670kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
steering column 2.jpg (719kb) downloaded 94 time(s).
20180802_173404.jpg (1,482kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
SLowner
#2 Posted : 02 August 2018 18:27:17

[size=9]Scradge,

So you used the microswitch that went to the right of the instrument cluster? That seems logical to me but why did DeAg not tell us to do it your way - is there a pitfall coming later?
scradge
#3 Posted : 02 August 2018 23:35:56

Possibly. The freedom of movement in the steering column is a little less than from the default build. So that could be why.

The lead does scrape on the steering shaft a little. So that's worth baring in mind

And yes I used the switch from issue 64 to poor in there but I ordered a second issue so that i could choose which to use
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 03 August 2018 07:25:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi scradge if you resize your pictures to around 600 x 420 pixels they will show on the forum page and nice start on your modsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SLowner
#5 Posted : 04 August 2018 11:49:21

Scradge,
Yes, and it occurred to me that the stalk might snap off if you were not careful - good to have a backup!
Did you start your build with the steering column??
scradge
#6 Posted : 09 August 2018 11:50:47

Hey Slowner,

It doesn't seem that flimsy to me to be honest,

I'm kinda happy that the stalk has some functionality now as well.

Anyway quick update on the LED situation,

Ive been scouring the web in search of interior light placement so I know where to put these LED's when the time comes.

Hit a small snag though.

And my small i mean minuscule....

The SMD LED's i purchased are shockingly tiny.... so i need to get a better magnifying glass to be able to solder them effectively.

how tiny. think a grain of sand on your finger tip. or littlerally the size of a full stop.....!

I'll post a guide as to how I'm adding wires to them as i go along. and once i figure out where all the lights need to go!