Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Cross-section Build Diary Options
Lord-Obsidian
#1 Posted : 02 August 2018 18:48:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

my name is Daniel, I'm from Germany and I would like to join in with a build diary (since I'm not a native speaker I appologize for any mistakes and possible missunderstandings in advance).

I started to build the HMS Victory Cross-section (and the ship).

This is my first attempt in building a modell ship at all. I actually wanted to to the full ship first, but it seemed to get some experience the Cross-section would be a little easier to begin with. So for reasons of variety (the planking took quite a while since you only could glue one plank at a time) I started the full ship, too (beginning is easy with fast progress).

I expect to have some questions at a lot of points in time (and you guys already helped me with some things) and having a diary helps to follow up and some requested a diary I'll try my best to keep it up and to finish (which will be the bigger challenge for me).

I could get a hold of the magazines which were sold on the internet (and which are awesome by the way, lots of well written and researched stories and background information, to bad the package now comes without the magazines). So I follow the instructions in the magazines (and look at the offcial diary or the youtube video diary some times).

I started with gluing the ribs very carefully with pins to a rubber mat (those mats you usally put unterneath the washing machine to eliminate vibration), wich worked fine. I copied the plan a couple times so I could glue some more parallel.

I then put it together wich was easy with the slightly thined down glue and the spacers. (At this point I was a little disappointed, the ripparts were a little bent, I hope this won't turn out to be a problem at some point).

Well, the planking startet. (Some of the planks were bent, too. I don't know if this is common or because the set is about 7 years old.) So there was a lot of sanding action to get no gaps (I want to stain at least the lower part). And I am now just below the gunports (finished stage 4).

And I'm wondering already if I did something wrong, in the magazine, the last plank ends just flush with the rip which shows me where the gunport starts and I only have a half rip left to glue (I haven't read stage 5 jet) it's about 2mm on one and 3-4 on the other side.

So here are some pictures for you...

See you next time,

Dan
Lord-Obsidian attached the following image(s):
P1070832_thumb.jpg
P1070834_thumb.jpg
P1070836_thumb.jpg
P1070839_thumb.jpg
P1070843_thumb.jpg
P1070842_thumb.jpg
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 02 August 2018 23:28:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dan,

Nice to see your cross section build. Looking at where you are at this point, what you might have is some planks are slightly wider than others and by the time you have placed 15 etc it can make a difference.

If you want to have it set to the top of the ribs like it says in the instructions there is no reason why you can make a plank to fit so it is flush with the rib. You wont see that its been done as its one of the black bandings plus its just above a wale so would be painted black. You mention you are staining the lower so this correction wouldn't affect your ideas.

Also , quick word of caution the spacer it says to place at the top of the ribs, try to keep it there as much as you can as these ribs tend to creep apart at the top creating a problem at a later stage with the deck beams.

Hope all this info helps

good luck .

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 03 August 2018 07:20:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start and have fun with your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#4 Posted : 03 August 2018 07:57:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start, looking good.Cool

Mark
Gandale
#5 Posted : 03 August 2018 14:14:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see your build and a lovely start you've made too... Look forward to seeing more....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 03 August 2018 19:13:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like you are off to a great start. Well done.

Cool Cool Cool

Congratulations on your "Blue" medal for starting a build diary. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jase
#7 Posted : 03 August 2018 20:00:06

Great progress

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Lord-Obsidian
#8 Posted : 04 August 2018 07:50:07

Thank you guys for your nice welcoming!!

So do the planks have to be flush with the top of the ribs or is this optional? I could keep on going and use a file?

As I asked in a different post, I want to try to stain the whole model, even if this means I would have to stain planks before gluing them to the ribs (and varnish later).

I would like it to look like this:

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTA2N1gxNjAw/z/R9wAAOSwHoFXr6~U/$/HMS-VICTORY-Cross-Section-Handmade-Wooden-Ship-Model-_57.jpg

I am aware, that the black parts would only be the planks glued on top of others, I wouldn't use black but a dark nut as well and that the black stripes would be much thinner than in the original.

So the idea is, at that stage where I am now, to stain the planks (AND the ribs) and apply varnish so no further stain would soak into the wood. All the other (except the deck planking) then has to be stained before gluing ist to the ribs.

That is why I am wondering if I can add a full plank or have to add a half one.

So I went to the store and bought some stain and made some samples (see pictures below). IMO it looks pretty.

You have probably finished yours by now, is anybody willing to share a picutre where I can see, where the second layer of planks (black) are glued on the hull? I now would add yellow planks almost all the way to the top (green line). Is there a second layer in the green and the pink circle? (Since this is a model space picture I hope it's fine to use it).

What do you guys think? Is this achievable for a beginner?

Last question: I bought this plank cutter, so I would have to do a minimum on sanding for the upcoming planking since I would stain the ribs now and they would be very sensitive to sandpaper). I am not happy with this at all, the cuts are not straight, as if the blade twists while cuttin through the wood. Any experience with this? Did I get a faulty one?

Have a great weekend

Dan
File Attachment(s):
x-section.jpg (281kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
IMAG0922_1.jpg
IMAG0923_1.jpg
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 04 August 2018 08:41:52

BigGrin Looking good and nicely done the planking I would over plank and sand it back to match the top of the bulwarks.

As for staining your correct it would need to be done before assembly to prevent bleed and cant see a problem the way you propose to do it.

Another stain you could use for the black is ebony or even use drawing ink to stain the wood.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

magpie1832
#10 Posted : 04 August 2018 08:45:54

Hi,
The planks are of course up to you if you want to cut into it instead of using half a plank.

Or you could remove 2 planks then plank down from the top of that rib to meet your planks and use an infill plank. That would then be covered over by the 2nd layer wales problem solved.

You can find where to start planking the black bands in stage 28 - https://www.model-space..../download/file_id/3685/

Just a word of caution though, the black bands are not just the wales painted it also goes onto the main planks of the hull.

The amati cutter is good but its only for rough cutting its not a precise cutter.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#11 Posted : 04 August 2018 08:48:01

Groups:

Nice build, well done Cool
Lord-Obsidian
#12 Posted : 04 August 2018 10:10:49

magpie1832 wrote:
Hi,
The planks are of course up to you if you want to cut into it instead of using half a plank.

I was wondering if it doesn't work out at the top if I'm wrong now and it was supposed to be flush with the rib to come out good on top.

magpie1832 wrote:

Or you could remove 2 planks then plank down from the top of that rib to meet your planks and use an infill plank. That would then be covered over by the 2nd layer wales problem solved.

That would acutally be my favorite solution if I wasn't afraid to have a hard time making a perfect fit for the filling plank.

magpie1832 wrote:

You can find where to start planking the black bands in stage 28 - https://www.model-space..../download/file_id/3685/

Just a word of caution though, the black bands are not just the wales painted it also goes onto the main planks of the hull.

Thank you! I'm aware of that and will have smaller black stripes then it is supposed to be, but the look of a stained model weights more for me than having it matching the original.

I'll have to keep on thinking about it... thank you!

arpurchase wrote:

Another stain you could use for the black is ebony or even use drawing ink to stain the wood

Well, that would have been a cheap solution. Stain ain't that cheap ;-)
magpie1832
#13 Posted : 04 August 2018 12:48:11

To do the infill plank, remove 2 planks and clean up area, then place temporarily 2 planks back were you removed them.
Place a plank on top of those and draw a line along the top of the ribs then cut that plank along that line.
Remove the 2 temp planks and fit the cut down plank then the 2 planks above it. That should give you the correct height.

Chris
On the bench

Lord-Obsidian
#14 Posted : 05 August 2018 17:48:00

Thank you for your advice!
What is the best way to remove planks?
(I didn't add glue to the edges - only at the ribs, the magazines told so, in the diary it's done differently)

I'm not sure if I got you right, but I you want me to start from where I am supposed to end (bottom of opening) to go to full planks down and the third would be the fittet one? It would sit there where the second from top right now is sitting?

I took a glance at the upcoming phase.
It sais I got 19 1,5 x 5mm and 14 2,0 x 5mm planks.
I do have 33 planks, but there is hardy any difference between them. Even if I sort out the ones slightly thicker and use the 1,5 x 8mm as a benchmark I can't find no diferrence between them...
Does this matter (Except for the 3mm placeholder for the keel)?

I ordered some spare 2,0 x 5mm in a shop, they are even thicker than the thickest I got in the package...

In the back of the picture you can see the 1,5 x 8mm I used as a benchmark...
IMAG0932_1.jpg
magpie1832
#15 Posted : 05 August 2018 20:48:42

Lord-Obsidian wrote:
Thank you for your advice!
What is the best way to remove planks?
(I didn't add glue to the edges - only at the ribs, the magazines told so, in the diary it's done differently)

I'm not sure if I got you right, but I you want me to start from where I am supposed to end (bottom of opening) to go to full planks down and the third would be the fittet one? It would sit there where the second from top right now is sitting?

I took a glance at the upcoming phase.
It sais I got 19 1,5 x 5mm and 14 2,0 x 5mm planks.
I do have 33 planks, but there is hardy any difference between them. Even if I sort out the ones slightly thicker and use the 1,5 x 8mm as a benchmark I can't find no diferrence between them...
Does this matter (Except for the 3mm placeholder for the keel)?

I ordered some spare 2,0 x 5mm in a shop, they are even thicker than the thickest I got in the package...

In the back of the picture you can see the 1,5 x 8mm I used as a benchmark...

Yes you have it correct how I described to you.

As for the planks. You do need to sort the thicker from the thinest as they are used for different things during the build. Sorry they all seem the same but they are just different.

Chris
On the bench

Lord-Obsidian
#16 Posted : 14 August 2018 18:55:43

Since one option was to cut the gunports out, I'll go with that and hope I'll turn out well at the entry port and the top.

The outside planking so far was done with the planks of 124, the inside planks are 2x5 from a shop. As there was no difference in the planks in 125 I use those from the shop, but they are thicker than the 2x5 from 124 ;-)

So I had to do a little planing and reading (studied Tomicks Build Diary) to make a decision how to proceed.

As I said I want all parts stained and I think I'm good to go now. I already stained the hull since I won't need that stain any more. And all the ribs. I also put on some varnish on the ribs to protect them from scratches and the stain from the inner planking.

This means I cannot sand the planks flush to the ribs anymore and they have to make a perfect fit right away.

As mentioned earlier I bought a plank cutter (returned it as the cuts are not straight). So I needed something else to make perfect cuts. So I bought a cutting invite (the only one I found for modelling tbh) and drilled holes in it and glued a nut into the frame so I can fix rests to make a perfect spacer. So far it worked fine.

So for the outside every time the color changes I'll leave out a plank (so the stain doesn't bleed into other parts). I have to finish inside an outside planking around all ports (and their inside frames) to finish the stain as I will not be able to sand anything as soon as the stain is on. I hope this will work out ;-)

Anyhow, I have to work a lot more carefully now, but not to have to sand the edges of the planks is a win...
IMAG0946_thumb.jpg
IMAG0947_thumb.jpg
IMAG0949_thumb.jpg
IMAG0948_thumb.jpg
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 14 August 2018 19:43:05

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice. Great work.Love

Mark
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 14 August 2018 21:10:12

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks good to me.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#19 Posted : 14 August 2018 22:22:02

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice piece of work, she's coming along beautifully....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 15 August 2018 07:37:22

BigGrin Nice work and looking goodCool