Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 12 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 20 August 2018 07:40:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

This next update was to paint the blue parts and varnish them. These were then left to dry overnight. The white panels were then painted with satin white paint leaving the hinges silver as I did before. The opening panels were then attached to the inner compartments.
All the blue parts were then attached in place to the front panel as shown.

Next, came the tool compartment where I also added some coiled cable for effect.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 365.jpg
Photo 366.jpg
Photo 367.jpg
Photo 368.jpg
Photo 369.jpg
Photo 370.jpg
Photo 371.jpg
Photo 372.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 20 August 2018 07:42:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

These next lot of pictures show the two halves complete and the final three pictures show them together with the dome in place to give an idea of what it looks like.

A lot of work now the two halves are complete, as I will begin to weather them including the dome.

Next, will be to finish off the frame.

More soon.
Photo 373.jpg
Photo 374.jpg
Photo 375.jpg
Photo 376.jpg
Photo 377.jpg
Photo 378.jpg
Photo 379.jpg
Photo 380.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 20 August 2018 20:40:49

Here is the completed framework with sensors in place.
Photo 381.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 27 August 2018 17:30:44

Just a little update. I have sprayed the bottom section with primer then satin white. Once this was allowed to dry I then placed the wiring and switch to it.
More soon
Photo 382.jpg
Photo 383.jpg
Photo 384.jpg
Photo 385.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 10 September 2018 07:47:24

Here you can see that I start to assemble the central/middle foot. I first take the silver lubricator parts and give them a wash with star ship filth and leave to dry. I then primed the four parts of the leg section and allowed them to dry for several hours before the silver paint is applied.
I then attached both left and right legs to the frame, pushing the circuitry cable through once I had used the supplied cable tidy.
The next pictures show the foot sections spayed with silver paint and the lubricators assembled. I polished off the oils and sealed them with some varnish, in readiness to attach to the completed foot assembly when done. The silver paint will be allowed to harden off for several days before the placing some Humbrol Maskol in places where I want the silver paint to give the chipped effect as I have done previously.

The last two pictures show R2-D2 temporarily assembled to give you an idea of what he will look like. I had the family round this weekend and I purposely left him out in the corner of the dining room, and I got several wow’s and pictures were taken. He does look good.
Photo 386.jpg
Photo 387.jpg
Photo 390.jpg
Photo 391.jpg
Photo 392.jpg
Photo 393.jpg
Photo 393a.jpg
Photo 393b.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 10 September 2018 07:49:47

Once everyone had gone, I then disassembled him, ready to start the weathering process. The first parts to attach to the frame are the lower section and foot assembly, so I started with the lower section. I used some tracking wash as shown, then used a soft brush once the wash had dried slightly to blend in. I also used some Mig dark mud oils to highlight the darker corner areas. This will be allowed to dry for a few days before varnishing. I will also be using a splash method to give the impression of sand and mud splatters.

More soon
Photo 394.jpg
Photo 395.jpg
Photo 396.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 17 September 2018 07:44:07

The centre leg has been painted white, allowed to dry for a week and the Humbrol Maskol rubbed off exposing the silver paint below. I have attached the lubricators on either side of the foot and then weathered the whole foot with Mig oils as I have done previously. The oils will be allowed to dry before varnishing to seal them. I have also used a toothbrush to add some sand and mud splatters as you can see in the final few pictures. I also added the splatters to the two main legs as well as the base plate.
More tomorrow, when I will fit the sensors to the foot and attached the base plate and foot to the frame.

Happy modelling.
Photo 397.jpg
Photo 398.jpg
Photo 400.jpg
Photo 399.jpg
Photo 401.jpg
Photo 402.jpg