Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
novice modeler Options
Mike Turpin
#21 Posted : 15 April 2010 13:04:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

bountyhunter_04 wrote:
I think muzzle plugs are the covers you see on the end of the cannon, its to stop and dirt/debris from gettin in there as it would make the cannon missfire or even blow it to peices... IMO anyhow BigGrin

Ropey bits.....erm!!

The most important function of the Tompion was to prevent moisture getting down the barrels of the guns when they were loaded.

Ships of war had to be ready at all times and the guns were kept loaded with a powder charge and ball. If an enemy was sighted the tompion could be removed, together with the cover from over the lock mechanism and the gun was instantly ready for action.

Mike T
karl1113
#22 Posted : 15 April 2010 13:31:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mike T. thanks for info, maybe you do a bit of scanning, don't think copywright comes into this because of the 50year rule.could do with more info on boat bits terminology like 4 sheets to the wind,(never use the outside loo upwind)LOL LOL
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Mike Turpin
#23 Posted : 15 April 2010 14:05:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

karl1113 wrote:
Mike T. thanks for info, maybe you do a bit of scanning, don't think copywright comes into this because of the 50year rule.could do with more info on boat bits terminology like 4 sheets to the wind,(never use the outside loo upwind)LOL LOL

Try this for a quick reply!

Three sheets to the wind:
Drunk
A sheet was a rope used to control a sail. Usually four sheets were used to adjust (trim) a sail’s angle to the wind. If a sheet became damaged or was released, it was said to be ‘in the wind’, and the corner of the sail it was securing was left to flap about. The more sheets damaged or released the greater the sail billowed and the harder it became to regain control of the ship. The sayings ‘one sheet….’, ‘two sheets….’ and so on were used to describe various stages of drunkenness; a sailor described as being ‘three sheets in the wind’ would have been very drunk.

Our language is peppered with sayings which were originally derived from the sea and sailors.

Plymouth City Council

This site is my main source for what these sayings mean, but Stockwin's Maritime Miscellany also includes quite a few. It's a good book anyway.

Mike T
jonny7england
#24 Posted : 15 April 2010 15:51:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mike Turpin wrote:
karl1113 wrote:

Try this for a quick reply!

Three sheets to the wind:
Drunk
A sheet was a rope used to control a sail. Usually four sheets were used to adjust (trim) a sail’s angle to the wind. If a sheet became damaged or was released, it was said to be ‘in the wind’, and the corner of the sail it was securing was left to flap about. The more sheets damaged or released the greater the sail billowed and the harder it became to regain control of the ship. The sayings ‘one sheet….’, ‘two sheets….’ and so on were used to describe various stages of drunkenness; a sailor described as being ‘three sheets in the wind’ would have been very drunk.

Our language is peppered with sayings which were originally derived from the sea and sailors.

Plymouth City Council

This site is my main source for what these sayings mean, but Stockwin's Maritime Miscellany also includes quite a few. It's a good book anyway.

Mike T

Thanks for the explanation Mike, and also the link which I added to my toolbar should I need to know more, that's what I like about these old sayings and their possible point of origin, it makes it all much more enjoyable ThumpUp John.W
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Tiswas
#25 Posted : 15 April 2010 17:56:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

There is also a good link on the Home page under 'Tutorials', just look down the list and click on a subject. There is a link to Naval Expressions which I was reading the other night, very enlightening.
TIS
Tarbrush
#26 Posted : 15 April 2010 18:46:45

Fascinating.Cool I love discovering the derivations of our sayings and gestures, c.f. 2 fingers etc. I have just invested £5 on a paperback on Amazon about rigging. Thought I should start doing my homework before we get that far. Sort out me sheets from me shrouds so to speak.Confused

Amazon should carry a financial health warning.Glare Ended up getting the Victory AND the Beagle Anatomies as well!! I think I may be going over the Project budget already.Crying
karl1113
#27 Posted : 15 April 2010 21:54:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bounty hunter the muzzel cover are indeed needy, don't forget that these cannon are kept loaded all the time some miss directed fag end could have disasterous results Blink
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
axle396
#28 Posted : 17 April 2010 13:55:41

Heartening to see some novices and great support and tolerance from the more experienced. I consider myself sort of novice in wood modelling. Only done the Del Prado Bounty and some Guillows balsa aircraft(many years ago). I have made plastic kits all my life. My family think a man of my age(57) shouldn't be playing around with ships and aeroplanes.I tell them there are a lot like me out there. Really looking forward to this build of the Victory.I am also doing the Lancaster as well. Haven't figured out where I am going to put them yet though as my house is really small.
Jimmy L.

current builds : Lancaster 1/32 (Hachette)
Revell USS Kearsarge
Titanic Lifeboat

I started off with nothing and I've still got most of it left.