Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Murphy's Surprise Build Log Options
MurphyPeoples
#1 Posted : 03 September 2018 13:59:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello, I've been a member here since 2015, and have had my Model Space kit about as long. I try not to start a new project until the current one is completed. In July 2018, I've begun the 1805 Surprise build, which I will construct the "movie version" scheme.

Putting the frames to the vertical keel, took quite a bit of tweaking, sanding, and filing. I wanted enough play to make sure each frame held a 90 degree angle to the keel.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_2635 copy.jpg (271kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
Current Build HMS Surprise
MurphyPeoples
#2 Posted : 03 September 2018 18:16:34

Here is the Decking nailed and glued from underneath into place. Strange thing... in the directions it says to make sure ALL frames are 90 degrees to the keel. The last frame in this photo is Frame #24. Which I glued in per the directions instructions. Then... 6 pages later it shows this frame being 5 degrees or more tilted towards the stern. Anyone else notice this?

Murphy

delboy271155
#3 Posted : 03 September 2018 18:26:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like you`ve made a good clean start to your build.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a build diary. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 04 September 2018 07:08:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 04 September 2018 08:01:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start, looking good.ThumpUp

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 04 September 2018 09:41:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Murphy and a warm welcome BigGrin
That's an impressive workshop you have there showing in your first picture Love
And your build is looking great too.

Congratulations on your 'Blue Medal', and look forward to seeing more og your build ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
MurphyPeoples
#7 Posted : 04 September 2018 11:51:42

Thank you for the kind words! I began laying the deck planks Monday afternoon.
Weighting them down as I went along. I'm using every scrap of decking to insure I do not run short.

Murphy

magpie1832
#8 Posted : 04 September 2018 23:02:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Murphy, Your doing a great job on your surprise. Look forward to your progress.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 05 September 2018 08:16:23

BigGrin Coming along nicelyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

johncal
#10 Posted : 06 September 2018 00:19:42

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MurphyPeoples wrote:
Here is the Decking nailed and glued from underneath into place. Strange thing... in the directions it says to make sure ALL frames are 90 degrees to the keel. The last frame in this photo is Frame #24. Which I glued in per the directions instructions. Then... 6 pages later it shows this frame being 5 degrees or more tilted towards the stern. Anyone else notice this?

Murphy

Don't rely on the directions too much especially if you're doing the Movie Version. There is a lot of divergence. It's a decent guide but get all the pictures you can of the Movie version online. The bow especially is totally different. You'll need to wing it quite often, but that's what makes it fun!

When you start your hull planking, getting the first few boards right is one of the most critical parts of the build. Also, that is when you need to make sure you eliminate any twist in the hull. If you get that perfect you'll be much happier with how it looks and everything will go a lot smoother.

It looks like you're off to a great start!
MurphyPeoples
#11 Posted : 09 September 2018 17:00:59

Don't rely on the directions too much especially if you're doing the Movie Version. There is a lot of divergence. It's a decent guide but get all the pictures you can of the Movie version online. The bow especially is totally different. You'll need to wing it quite often, but that's what makes it fun!

When you start your hull planking, getting the first few boards right is one of the most critical parts of the build. Also, that is when you need to make sure you eliminate any twist in the hull. If you get that perfect you'll be much happier with how it looks and everything will go a lot smoother.

It looks like you're off to a great start![/quote]

Thanks Johncal for the advice! I will certainly take heed. BigGrin
MurphyPeoples
#12 Posted : 09 September 2018 17:01:56

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Hi Murphy and a warm welcome BigGrin
That's an impressive workshop you have there showing in your first picture Love
And your build is looking great too.

Congratulations on your 'Blue Medal', and look forward to seeing more og your build ThumpUp

Regards
Gray

Thanks Cap'n!
MurphyPeoples
#13 Posted : 09 September 2018 17:02:49

magpie1832 wrote:
Well done Murphy, Your doing a great job on your surprise. Look forward to your progress.

Chris

Chris, your build is an inspiration! Thank you for your comment, and I'll gladly accept any advice you're willing to share along the way!
Murphy
Mo
#14 Posted : 10 September 2018 18:34:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Good luck with your build, it will be a long road, if it’s anything like mine. Lol.

Mo
Gandale
#15 Posted : 10 September 2018 22:31:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Off to a great start by the looks of things, looking good...Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing your next update....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 11 September 2018 07:26:55

BigGrin Nice start and coming together nicelyCool

magpie1832
#17 Posted : 13 September 2018 13:38:28

MurphyPeoples wrote:
magpie1832 wrote:

Chris

Chris, your build is an inspiration! Thank you for your comment, and I'll gladly accept any advice you're willing to share along the way!
Murphy

Not a problem. I enjoyed building mine but still not finished it. I will get to it one day.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

MurphyPeoples
#18 Posted : 16 September 2018 14:29:23

Hello from WET South Carolina this morning. I've been stuck inside during the Hurricane, so it's been perfect time to get moving forward on the Surprise. I've laid all the gun deck, and cut the mast receiver holes, and will moving on to sanding the sanding and marking down the decks buttress joints today. BTW, I have several large studio scale projects going at one time, and if you'd like to follow along my facebook page is MurphyPeoples. Your are welcome to send me a friend request. ; )
MurphyPeoples attached the following image(s):
hms.jpg
Gandale
#19 Posted : 16 September 2018 18:42:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, lovely work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 16 September 2018 20:12:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, glad you are well and not blown away.

Mark