Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Clay's X-wing Build Options
clay
#1 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:23:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Okay, I'm going to make an attempt to document my X-wing build journey since I failed to do so with my still-in-progress Millennium Falcon build (Damn you Christopher Olsen!!!) - I mean that in jest....at any rate, I've avoided taking pictures pre-build since some have already covered this. Here are my current issue 1-4 pictures...
File Attachment(s):
Cannon joint (1).jpg (3,016kb) downloaded 230 time(s).
Canopy.jpg (2,943kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
Cockpit.jpg (2,911kb) downloaded 112 time(s).
Failed light leak prevention.jpg (1,282kb) downloaded 137 time(s).
Light Leak prevention.jpg (3,634kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
Seam management.jpg (1,123kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
More seam management.jpg (3,342kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
R-2 and Cannon.jpg (2,921kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
partially assembled cannon.jpg (4,012kb) downloaded 123 time(s).
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:35:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start Clay. Looks like you are having fun with this one.
If you resize you pictures to 650 x 480, they will show on the page.

Keep up the great work.

Mark
clay
#3 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:35:37

Sorry I didn't get the pictures to display well, as pictures...I have build the Revell version of the X-wing many times as a child and I was always unhappy with the laser cannons...I hated how they appeared bent and straightening them was always a crap shoot. Anyway, I loved how Deagostini went with aluminum tubing! However, the joint for the tubes is rather flimsy...so I made my own out of aluminum. For those that care to make their own, the OD of the large tube is 10mm...ID is 9MM...the smaller tube's ID is just a tad under 7mm (I shot for 6.96 to ensure a tight fit! I also made my joints longer to provide a more stable connection.
clay
#4 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:42:15

Thanks for the picture info Mark...I will fix that in the future...btw, you too are on my hit-list! You and Christopher Olsen are the reason why my Millennium Falcon is still being built!

Try and have a great week!
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:50:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Clay BigGrin

Welcome to the forum and good to see another X-wing diary started.

Cool Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:51:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

LOL LOL Better watch my back then.LOL
CaptnBirdseye
#7 Posted : 17 September 2018 19:52:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great start Clay, and good to see another X-Wing up and runningCool

Keep up the good work

Regards Gray
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 18 September 2018 07:07:57

BigGrin Nice start and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#9 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:33:44

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to have you with us and I look forward to seeing your progress. Looks like you're off to a great start....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#10 Posted : 18 September 2018 11:38:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see you have started a build on here ClayBigGrin Welcome to the forum.

Al
clay
#11 Posted : 07 January 2019 14:27:25

I've been lax with my build...holidays and work around the house. I've taken pictures of my current progress of issues 5 - 16. Just want to point out that this model is going to be huge! I haven't done much painting and weathering as most of the wing and cockpit parts aren't all in. At any rate, here's what everyone else can expect with their coming issues...
clay attached the following image(s):
X-wing pics 1.jpg
x-wing pic 2.jpg
x-wing pic 3.jpg
x-wing pic 4.jpg
x-wing pic 5.jpg
x-wing pic 6.jpg
x-wing pic 7.jpg
x-wing pic 8.jpg
x-wing pic 9.jpg
x-wing pic 10.jpg
x-wing pic 11.jpg
x-wing pic 12.jpg
x-wing pic 13.jpg
x-wing pic 14.jpg
x-wing pic 15.jpg
clay
#12 Posted : 07 January 2019 14:31:37

Sorry all the pictures are crammed into one long stream but I just wanted those who are building and aren't as far along to see what they can expect. The detail is incredible and there are parts that won't see the light of day...unless someone builds a wrecked version of this model. Now, if I could only finish my Millennium Falcon!!!
clay
#13 Posted : 10 July 2019 12:51:49

Okay...I've been lacking in updates...so, here is where I am so far.
clay
#14 Posted : 10 July 2019 12:56:36

Once again, I've lapsed in posting pictures and progress...here are some recent pictures...fyi, this is gonna be Huuuuge!
X-Wing Progess 1.jpg
X-wing progress 2.jpg
X-wing progress 3.jpg
clay
#15 Posted : 10 July 2019 13:01:12

Yes, I've jumped a bit from the previous post. Work and life get in the way of me remembering to update and take pictures. So far, the build has been fun. As you can see, i have two of the four wings somewhat complete. I haven't painted anything yet. I plan on taking more closeup pictures for myself so that when I do paint, I can somewhat recreate the markings on this model. Not in the pics are more parts for the cockpit that I haven't worked on yet...got to see what more comes for the cockpit. I'm also pleased with my laser cannon joints as they hold the tubes straight! Hope everyone else is enjoying their build....
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 10 July 2019 18:02:47

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 10 July 2019 19:47:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Clay

Thats really taking on the shape of the craft now.

Its going to be a big model when finished.

Hope it continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#18 Posted : 10 July 2019 22:49:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Clay, very nice steady progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 10 July 2019 22:56:45

Looking very good Clay, show just how big this kit really is. Keep up the good work.

Mark
clay
#20 Posted : 27 May 2020 12:45:16

Finally got off my lazy arse and got back to work on this monstrosity! Since my last update, I've built a 12x24 Deck and an 8x16 chicken coop...been busy! At any rate, I still despise and loathe Mark Warren for his model building skills and thank you for sharing your tips! I've reached the point where I need to actually paint, detail and weather this puppy since I now have all 4 wings completed and need to assemble them...can't paint if they are all together! I used Mark's technique where he used sponge to create a chipping effect...cept I couldn't find anything resembling his sponges...so I used scotch brite. I also used flat aluminum paint and mixed up a messy looking black to put on over the aluminum. I hope the effect looks okay! Here are some pictures...
X-wing 1.jpg
X-wing 2.jpg
X-wng 3.jpg
X-wing 4.jpg
X-wing Cockpit 1.jpg