Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Smuggler's Start Options
Smuggler
#1 Posted : 30 August 2011 20:57:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well, here i go, my build diary....

first i have to compliment deagostini on their packaging, especially the plane's being put in their own sealed compartments, makes it easy to store away for later.

laid out the baseplate to check its all ok, no warping.....

Dry fitted all available ribs and horizontal connectors to check sizes...

Just need to screw it to a flat piece of wood before glueing.

Glued the main part of the funnel and the base of the Island, taped together and will leave for 24 hours before removing tape and filling any gaps with putty...

Will keep updating as i go along, not rushing, i want to take my time.

1 question though, when is a good time to paint the metal parts, as i go along or when its all completed?

I only ask because when i did plastic models i waited till i was finished main parts before painting, this meant there was no glue visible if it accidentally overspilled on the model.
I smile because i have NO IDEA whats going on :)
budgie
#2 Posted : 30 August 2011 22:09:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hello Matey
reguarding the painting i would bring inexperienced into the equation and would hang back a bit

We are not all at Tomicks expertise

It will depend on your own experience

Nothing worse than achieving a good paint job then find you have to glue something else to it and BLISTER

Food for thought
MWG
#3 Posted : 30 August 2011 22:34:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good stuff SmugglerCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Smuggler
#4 Posted : 31 August 2011 11:37:59

thanks, i'll wait for the parts to be finished before painting it.
Smuggler
#5 Posted : 02 September 2011 21:36:20

Next update....

Board is now secured to build board and all ribs and sundries are glued in place ....

I actually realised i jumped the gun slightly when i glued the island and forgot to place inserts in first Blushing .

Fixed the problem, added inserts, front platform and brass window frame, very tricky for someone with zero dexterity in his fingers...

MWG
#6 Posted : 02 September 2011 22:14:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start SmugglerBigGrin Cool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Smuggler
#7 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:24:55

Quick update...

Finished the hull, added last section of ribs, horizontal pieces and edge plates.

Started on paravanes and range finder platform.

Been ill for last 2-3 weeks, but feeling better and will do the other paravane, finish the rangefinder and the anti-aircraft platform in the next 2-3 days.

Cant do anything to island though as i had a slight accident and bent the window frame beyond repairBlushing . Contacted customer service and they are sending out a replacementThumpUp so will update when it arrives.
Tomick
#8 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:31:23

Groups:

In your fianl pic, don't forget to smooth the mould line that runs along the centre of the platform front, otherwise the line will show up when you come to paint.
Smuggler
#9 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:38:24

Will do, Mr T.

Just noticed it standing out in the picture, not so obvious when you look at it Blushing.

1 more update..

Added vanes to the 2 parts of the funnel

Smuggler
#10 Posted : 13 October 2011 17:31:58

I am going to have to pause my model at this time due to the fact that i have just been informed that my local council have decided to totally renovate the inside of my home next month.

Total re-wiring of the house, new bathroom suite and new kitchen. As such, i will have no time to build the model.

This doesnt mean i'm giving up, i will continue to collect the parts, store them away and re-start the model after the new year ( boy, that will be a hectic monthLOL ).

I'll look in on the forum til the day before the destruction of my home is due to start.BigGrin
MWG
#11 Posted : 13 October 2011 18:36:53

Hi Smuggler sorry you have been unwell, get better soon.

When the hous is finished we will welcome you backCool BigGrin

Smuggler
#12 Posted : 19 November 2011 20:46:53

Renovation of my home has been postponed til after New Year so here's an
Update on my build...

Customer services did an excellent job when i asked about a replacement window frame.....they sent me a complete part 1 !!!BigGrin

First, bow and stern sections built

Blushing will clean excess glue off before i shape bow and stern ( Too enthusiastic with wood glue )Blushing

This is my island build

added aerials to the side and top part

and finally added ladders

Not going to put small parts on island til i have painted it, Will paint small parts separately and then stick them on.

Next update should be railings fitted and Scared planking Scared

arpurchase
#13 Posted : 19 November 2011 21:30:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking great m8,one observation though[not a critism]make sure all burrs are removed from even the smallest parts as they really show up after a lick of paint
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Smuggler
#14 Posted : 19 November 2011 21:51:13

Good point, i never seem to remove the burrs properly Blushing

And anyway, any comments are welcome, how else am i gonna learn BigGrin
MWG
#15 Posted : 20 November 2011 02:35:42

coming along well SmugglerBigGrin Cool

Smuggler
#16 Posted : 16 March 2012 19:36:10

Finally, the alterations to my home are finished, so back to the build BigGrin

First the island...

Next thing i plan to do is airbrush on primer, check for burrs or raised parts, file them down and apply a second coat of primer before top coat is applied. Then carefully do the black sections.

All the small stuff ( binoculars, search lights ) are stuck on a spare piece of wood with double sided tape.
They will go through the same procedure as above, before glueing to the main part.

The hull has severely tested my sanity, but i'm getting there, with a lot of reading of Mr T's official and MWG's build diaries.

Few pics to show how i'm getting on....

Next update will be painting of the island, all sundries glued on and finished hullLaugh

just thought i'd show you what i intend to display alongside my Akagi.....

A6M3 Zero

and it's foe in the Pacific

F4U Corsair

arpurchase
#17 Posted : 16 March 2012 20:27:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Glad to see you back smugler comoing on a treatCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Smuggler
#18 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:05:36

Little update...

Finally broke out the airbrush and started painting....

arpurchase
#19 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:10:00

BigGrin shes taking shape very nicly smugglerBigGrin

saintsman123
#20 Posted : 19 March 2012 22:40:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

looking good smuggler, i've just started collecting, i plan to start building once victory is finished, so i should have a fair bit do do by then.
where abouts in glasgow are you, i'm from the ever sunnyLaugh , never windyLaugh , tropicalLaugh ardrossanLaugh
Come on you Jimmies