Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Smuggler's Start Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 20 March 2012 02:39:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Very nice work smugglerBigGrin Regards mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Smuggler
#22 Posted : 20 March 2012 16:40:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you all for the comments BigGrin

I remember fishing in Ardrossan, off the pier ( day and night ) though i cant remember it being tropical.........Freezing, wet and windy, yes...... tropical, no.LOL

I live in in the posh area of Glasgow ( Drumchapel ), i know its posh cos people use fine crystal glasses to drink their lager.LOL
I smile because i have NO IDEA whats going on :)
Dontshootme
#23 Posted : 20 March 2012 19:07:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

We may well have met at some time as I have fished off Ardrossan pier 2 or 3 times back in the 70's..god knows why though as we lived the other side in Innellan.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Smuggler
#24 Posted : 06 April 2012 18:15:09

Small update...........Cursing total disaster with the paintingCursing

Painted all the metal parts ( Island, Binoculars, searchlights, anti aircraft guns and platform and 4 boats ) and left them to dry for 48 hours.

Went back and all the paint had cracked and had started to flake off so had to strip all the parts i glued together and clean all paint off them and start again.

I thought it was the way i mixed the paint with thinner but, Funny thing is, it was only the finishing coat that cracked, the primer was perfectly sound, even though i mixed both the same way.

Sent e-mail to Tamiya paints and they said it sounds like i got a dodgy batch of paint, perhaps sitting on the shop shelf too long.

They sent out 3 new bottles from a UK agent and have painted the parts again...........and no crackingBigGrin.

Once i have finished all the painting, will post pics.
arpurchase
#25 Posted : 07 April 2012 01:17:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Angry Hi Smuggler
i had the same sort of problem with tamiyas 'flat base X21' on the Yamato had to scrape it all off as it turned to powder under the top coat and started flaking it off never bothered getting in touch like u just binned it and used another undercoat[ luckily it was only the tower i had used it on].Also if you see a primer called superdec suposedly suitable for most surfaces on wood it wont dry properly [stays in a tacky/plasticy film] and just fills up any sandpaper/tools in seconds rendering them useless for a week or more until u can get it off
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Smuggler
#26 Posted : 07 April 2012 15:54:09

Thanks for that info arpurchase.

My paint also felt grainy when i put it on, but the new paint is smooth to the touchBigGrin

Will post pics very soon of newly painted parts.........and a completely planked hull BigGrin
Smuggler
#27 Posted : 13 April 2012 16:27:33

paint update....

First the island

next, the 5 boats....

triple A platform ( the guns are all level, no idea why they appear squintConfused )

2 Big guns and 1n small...

MWG
#28 Posted : 13 April 2012 17:54:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great Job SmugglerBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Silent_Running
#29 Posted : 13 April 2012 18:37:15

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Great work smuggler. I will be painting the island very soon myself. Nice to see that you overcame the paint issue and came out smiling, well done. BigGrin
Smuggler
#30 Posted : 13 April 2012 19:08:05

Thank you for the nice comments....will be posting pics of my hull within a couple of days, just waiting for the resin to harden on the inside.
Smuggler
#31 Posted : 20 April 2012 19:12:46

Here is my hull so far.

I will be sanding it tomorrow when i get a sanding block ( old one no use )

arpurchase
#32 Posted : 20 April 2012 21:47:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good SmugglerCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Silent_Running
#33 Posted : 21 April 2012 01:47:23

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Excellent work there smuggler, well done. BigGrin
Smuggler
#34 Posted : 05 May 2012 22:49:47

thank you for the kind commentsBlushing

I was going to update you on my stand, but a disaster has befallen it.

My friend wanted to help me, so i gave him the stand with the instructions on how to do it.

Guess what........he ignored me and produced a disaster.

He built it correctly, but decided to just paint it straightaway, onto the bare wood. As you would expect, the paint job was terrible, and i tried to clean it up, but with no success.

So, to rescue it, i have ordered some Burmese Teak veneer ( 0.6mm thick ) which i am going to cover the base of the stand with. Then i will use a varnish to protect the teak.

The uprights, i will sand, seal properly, and then coat with 24K gold leaf for a shiny effect.
arpurchase
#35 Posted : 05 May 2012 23:25:11

Cool Hi Smuggler sometimes a dissaster can turn out to be a blessing ,i contemplated using a venear on the stand so great minds think alike as they say, im sure it will turn out fine
regards
AndyCool

Smuggler
#36 Posted : 06 May 2012 00:55:02

i will show the before AND after stages with my standBigGrin
Smuggler
#37 Posted : 07 June 2012 19:19:43

Little update on my hull, decorating the house, so time is limited for model :)

Fitted the bilge keel :

Fitted armour plate to the front ( Both sides ):

I read with interest the discussion between arpurchase and Yutaro-San, concerning the rear armour plate.
As such, i have made replacement armour plates ( 205mm long, 10mm wide ), which i will show later.

Just 1 question, when do i stick the deck plates to the hull?Blushing

arpurchase
#38 Posted : 07 June 2012 21:20:11

BigGrin Hi Smuggler
the bow deck plate and the two formers above it are fixed at the armour belt attachment stage,the rest as i can surmise are afixed after the last [or stern most]lift is constructed but after reading Yaturo-sans building mines i wont be glueing the lifts in position till the other components for said lifts are provided around issue 50. And your build is look great keep up the good work
regards
AndyCool

Smuggler
#39 Posted : 19 September 2012 18:55:16

Been a while, but i'm back to bulding my model.

Little accident when i was decorating the house put me in hospital for a week, so thats why i havent posted for a while.

6 packs waiting for my attention, so better get crackingLOL . The hull has been untouched for too long, so, following arpurchases yamato diary, i have sanded, sprayed primer and filled any low spots with wood putty

Then i coated the hull with spray putty, gave it 48 hrs to cure and i am about to sand it with wet/dry sandpaper.

Will post pics soon.

Once thats done, i can attach propeller pods and stands and start on the main structure of the ship.
arpurchase
#40 Posted : 19 September 2012 19:44:16

BigGrin Hi Smuggler
hope your fully recovered now m8 ,if you have used the yellow putty like i have it should only need a light sanding back,what i like about it is the colour change as you sand so you can see where the low spots are as they stay darker.il look forward to your pics
regards
Andy