Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Finishing a donated Victory Options
colpatben
#1 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:03:04

Groups: Registered

Post 01 HMS Victory Completion 6th Oct 2018

I was given an unfinished HMS Victory in 2015 and joined this forum to introduce myself, full expecting to get going immediately. Well now that time has finally arrived.

Here are a couple of pictures of the current state of completion of the model.

NOTE: this is my first topic on this forum with photos attached so if this post does not contain any pictures I apologise now and will attempt another post of pics!

One or two bits are a bit skewed.

The biggest problem is that the Mizzen mast is bent to Port and will need some work to rectify.

The model has all of the magazine issues up to and including 120. The latest one that is opened is issue 92 so I figure that is the point at which this model had reached by the original owner/constructor.
colpatben
#2 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:12:40

Still can't figure out how to attach pictures. I have reduced the size of the phots to under 100kb and select Browse from the POST page but still nothing is uploaded (It reports 'No Files selected). Maybe I need a minimum number of posts before being allowes to add pictures.

OH hang on got itBigGrin

Now too try a few more
colpatben attached the following image(s):
Overview_Port.jpg
colpatben
#3 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:15:32

Right a few more

Overview_Bow.jpg
Overview_Stbd.jpg
Overview_Stern.jpg
Well Deck.jpg
Forepeak.jpg
colpatben
#4 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:25:52

This is the bent mizzen mast Mad

I think that I may need to rebuild it but it is assembled using water resistant wood glue.

Does anyone know if it would it soften if immersed in warm soapy water as it is not listed as Waterproof glue so is there a subtle difference?
Mizzen form Bow.jpg
Glue.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:29:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi and welcome to the forum. You have inherited a great kit and am sure you will end up with a stunning build ThumpUp

Regards Gray
colpatben
#6 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:31:58

OK got the hang of this picture thing

Here are the last two opening pictures
Well Deck.jpg
Overview_Stern.jpg
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 06 October 2018 18:29:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome back and have fun with your build . As for the glue brushing warm water on the joints will soften it is its only resitant to water not water proof.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#8 Posted : 07 October 2018 00:05:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back with us and working on the Victory. Am sure you'll do a great job and end up with a beautiful display piece..... Will be following your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#9 Posted : 07 October 2018 00:20:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see you making a start on the Victory. I'm sure youll do an excellent job finishing off where it was left. Any problems along your way one of us will be there to guide and help you.

Chris 😎😎
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Spal
#10 Posted : 07 October 2018 19:02:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great to see you resurrecting this build, look forward to seeing its progress.

Al
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 07 October 2018 22:39:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see a build being reborn rather than binned. WTG

Cool Cool Cool

Keep the pics coming then the ship experts on here can help you along the way if needed.

Look forward to seeing more.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Garth
#12 Posted : 10 October 2018 10:09:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Good luck with the repairs.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DaDokta
#13 Posted : 10 October 2018 12:16:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck with your project!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
colpatben
#14 Posted : 11 October 2018 09:27:04

Post 02 HMS Victory Completion 11th Oct 2018

I have reviewed the bow and it is a bit of a mess that will probably need stripping everything back to the bare Stem and rebuild.

This means that in order to get all the shaped and laser cut parts, I will need to source the materials from magazine issues
No.91 – eking rails.
No.85 – Beakhead frame No.1
No.86 - Beakhead frame Nos 2, 3 &4 and other beakhead framework.

I am not sure if I can or want to try to rebuild this part of the boat, maybe I should repair the best I can and cover it all with the beakhead grating Issue 86 page12.

Bow_18.jpg
Bow_02.jpg
Bow_14.jpg
Bow_17.jpg
Gandale
#15 Posted : 11 October 2018 16:51:56

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Its a difficult choice you have to make and is really dependent upon your skills and confidence of taking on such a task. I would be looking to rebuild but as you say, a lot will be covered up by the grating, but only from the top. Think you also need to look at what you can see from the sides. I'll be interested to see how you're going to progress with this....

Regards

Alan
colpatben
#16 Posted : 13 October 2018 11:17:29

Post 03 HMS Victory Completion 13th Oct 2018

I have bitten the bullet and stripped the bow down to the bare stem including the removal of the roundhouses. Unfortunately I found that all of the beakhead frames have side cracks or missing bits. I will publish photos later when I have cleaned them up and decided how to proceed

As the two following pictures show there is a gap between the port side upper wale and the forecastle planking, which I can see adds to the difference between port and starboard profiles.

To correct this I will either need to cut back and refit part of the upper wale, or infill the gap.
Bow Deck_01.jpg
Upper wale.jpg
colpatben
#17 Posted : 08 November 2018 12:57:57

Post 04 HMS Victory Completion 13th Oct 2018

Unfortunately the forward Bulwark Caps are skewed to port so in order to realign the front I have stripped down the complete foredeck and will rebuild from there. All good fun but not impossible! This is a far back as I intend to go.

Bow_19.jpg
Bow_20.jpg
Gandale
#18 Posted : 08 November 2018 13:26:17

Have to agree with what you've done here. Stripping her back will give you a much better result especially when you consider it is going to be reassembled to your very own standard.... Coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
colpatben
#19 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:08:04

After delving deeper into this model am have come to the conclusion that it has been badly assembled up to the current position (Issue 90), I have removed fittings in the Well deck and Poop deck but I cannot see a way foreword that will give me satisfaction if I were to persevere and complete the model.Crying

It is therefore with reluctance that I will have to abandon this model and send it to a watery grave.

That said, if there is anyone within striking distance of the East Sussex coast between Hastings and Eastbourne that might like to have a go please PM me. I offer this free and gratis if it can be collected.
Tomick
#20 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:21:35

Groups:

What a shame, but at least you gave it your best shot and a good thing you was given it rather than having paid for it.

Well done for having a go ThumpUp

Have you got a future build in mind?