Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Pack 3 minor issue ... Options
PhilM
#1 Posted : 17 October 2018 11:39:09

Groups: Registered

Hello All,
Having lurked around the Forums for a while, I'd like to ask for some advice with a (hopefully!) minor problem completing my Pack 3 stages ...

All is fine until step 20-7, fixing the engine to the rear underbody.

Two of the indicated IM screws work fine in the rear cross member of the underbody; however, the two fixing the side mountings never "bite" on anything and don't seem to be helping to fix the engine in place.

I'm 99% certain that I've not stripped the threads: the screws are threaded only into the engine "tray" piece, and don't seem long enough to engage with the - fully aligned - holes in the underbody piece??

Seems like they need a longer / wider screw to fully engage them?

Any advice gratefully received!

The engine tray doesn't - yet - seem in any danger of dropping out, as the two cross member screws are very tight, and the tray itself is a tight push-fit into place. But if there is a problem, now seems to be a good time to fix it.

(Trying also to post a couple of pics to show progress - happy to do a build log - but so far failing to determine how to load pics to the forum? On other forums I use a link to Imgur-stored pics, but now Imgur won't upload anything for me either. Computers ...!!)
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 17 October 2018 14:00:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Phil. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear your having a problem. The official build screws were ok when used. I will look into this.

As for the pictures, here is a link for how to add pics.

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=posts&t=244

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

PhilM
#3 Posted : 17 October 2018 22:02:50

Thanks for the welcome, and for the link to the how to post pics ... I'll have a look at that and try again!
PhilM
#4 Posted : 17 October 2018 22:08:29

Thanks also for your private message expanding on this: I replied to that, but got an error message that your inbox is full (!), and you won't see my reply until you make some space in your inbox ...
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 18 October 2018 07:07:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Phil and enjoy your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#6 Posted : 18 October 2018 07:54:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Phil, hope you enjoy your time with us.... Look forward to seeing some of your work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
PhilM
#7 Posted : 18 October 2018 10:29:12

Thanks for the welcomes: despite the minor issue above, I'm enjoying the build so far.

Pictures to follow when I work out how to post them ...

Just thought I'd add more explanation of to what seems to be "my" problem, and a solution hopefully.

I had been assuming the the screws are supposed to be long enough to engage with the hole in top face of the undertray side rail mounting point "box" (which they aren't doing): having disassembled this and looked again, I now think that the screws are supposed to engage only with the bottom face of the mounting point box ... but the pre-drilled (cast?) locating hole in that face is a shade too big, barely catching the diameter of the intended screw.

Still with me???

So what I need is not a longer screw (don't think there are any included?) but a fatter screw (which I think / hope one screw type is ...), to bite on the slightly oversized hole in the bottom face of the rail mounting box.

I'm off to try that ...
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 18 October 2018 10:33:44

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing your progress soon.Cool

Mark
TRGRichie
#9 Posted : 19 October 2018 12:28:18

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've had a few 'ghost' screws, sometimes they never bite - usually there are at leat 1 or 2 screws holding the part together so I have just lived with them.

more worryingly I've had a couple of screws shear, but these parts were replaced by Customer services in a timely fashion so I have no complaints in this respect. but I am nervous now I'm at the body stage of the build as I want all the screws to hold well.

Thanks
Rich.
AUTO FRUMP STOMPER
Custom Porsche RS Build - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=25728
magpie1832
#10 Posted : 19 October 2018 13:42:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

To stop the screws from sheering, go in a turn then out out half a turn then in a turn etc slowly. You need to cut the thread.
That way you don't get any snappages.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

PhilM
#11 Posted : 19 October 2018 16:36:30

Well, these last two comments (thanks anyway!) came just too late for me!

My "home made" solution of using a fatter screw for the two side mounting points - I chose a CM screw, slightly fatter than the intended IM - worked fine for the first side ... but the second side CM screw sheared in two (not totally unwarranted I suppose, as I was using it for a smaller fixing than it was meant for) ...

So I'm now left with the sheared off thread end embedded very tightly in the underbody tray mounting point, with none left outside to grip to try and remove it ... !!!

I know I should have tapped the hole first, but the tray part seemed soft enough, and the screw not THAT much bigger, that I assumed it would take it (as the first side did).

I'm now left with needing to try and drill / remove the broken screw ... but it's so small that I don't have an extractor fitting that small!

Any recommendations??
magpie1832
#12 Posted : 19 October 2018 19:30:09

Hi,
There are two options. You can either get some small drill bits and drill it out (not very easy) or leave it as it's not under any stress in that area so "could" be ok without the screw.

The choice is yours.

Chris 😎
On the bench