Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

GLUE?? Options
danf1
#1 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:07:59

Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi there,

Am new to the whole model building side of things, am a keen f1 fan and have been collecting the 1:18 and 1:43 scale f1 cars for a while now and was very excited at the chance to build a 1:8 scale mclaren myself (seeing as the only ones id seen were amalgam models priced at around £3000!)

Anyway, question is about what glue to use. I know it advises ABS adhesive and super glue but i dont think ive got the correct stuff. went into a model shop to ask for the ABS adhesive and he sold me a small blue pot of revell plastic glue with a long thin metal tube for precise aplication... but ive had issues with it. i found it did not set quickly and even once it did (when building the front wing) a piece detached when i was constructing it further.. i ordered two copies of issue 1 incase i had problems like this when starting off.. but i then decided to test the super glue on all the plastic parts and it seemed to set nice and quicklty and be an excellent bond? So i ask what is wrong with just using superglue for the whole build? im sure there is a reason just wanted some expert advice. have got most of the issues but the build is on hold until im 100% on what glue to use.

any advice would be apreciated, thanks

Dan
MWG
#2 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:22:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Dan you have been sold polystyrene adhesive. This is ok for normal plstic Kits, but the Mclaren is ABS plastic so you need an ABS adhesive.
Have a look at this from B&Q
MWG attached the following image(s):
007 DB5 058.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

MWG
#3 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:24:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Other guys will also share their preffered adhesivesCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:41:05

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Dan,

You won't go wrong with the glues that Mike(MWG) has recommended. Just bin the Revell glue or use it on an "Airfix" type kit, it is no good for the ABS plastic in this model. The superglue needs to be a thick 'Gel' type like the one in Mike's picture or another brand, as long as it is 'Gel', so that it doesn't run and both glues are best applied with a thin spatula or 'cocktail' stick. That way you avoid any unwanted spills onto the prepainted surfaces which will be ruined otherwise. Take your time applying the glue neatly and NOT excessively and you will be fine!!

I wouldn't advise using the 'superglue' for everything as you suggest as it can leave nasty white 'blooms' (similar to what you get on the skin of red grapes/plums) on some of the painted surfaces as it dries, due to the vapours reacting and attacking exposed plastic around the glue joint and which again will ruin your model. Just use it where the instructions advise and the ABS glue where that is advised then you shouldn't have a problem!!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the build - it's a great model!!BigGrin

Regards ... Kev.BigGrin