Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
2001 : A Space Odyssey - Discovery XD-1 Options
Nemesis
#1 Posted : 02 November 2018 21:20:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well its been a while since I posted ANY sort of progress on my builds, a change of job, hospital visits and various other changes to normal life (as normal as it gets in my house!LOL ) seemed to knock my modeling mojo clear out of the ball park. And any thought of a military or motorbike model just put me further away from wanting to even look at my bench.
So for my 50th back in July I was given this kit and quite a few of the upgrades that are available in the vain hope that it may kick start a spark of interest in returning to a hobby that I do love so much.
Then I was offered the chance to semi-retire, working only 3 days a week Monday to Wednesday, and I started looking at this kit and researching some other builds on the Tube, and I must say I am rather looking forward to building something outside of my normal genre!BigGrin Cool

So what have i got and what am I going to do? The kit is the Moebius 1:144 Discovery XD-1. I will be using the Paragrafix detail sets for the flight deck and pod bay, with a lighting kit for the command sphere and the engines. I am awaiting some parts from Shapeways, 3 EVA pods and a set of figures. I also have on order a full decal set for the pod bay and flight deck and some brass square tube for the pod landing deck so I can extend one.The EVA pods will also have lighting.
I will be starting with the nuclear propulsion unit and thrusters as this is where all the main electronics will be and it needs modification to do this, also until I get the other parts I cannot start the command sphere.BigGrin
So without further waffle here are some pictures!!BigGrin Love

Nemesis attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 02 November 2018 21:25:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The back of the box, the finished model is 41 inches long!!Blink BigGrin
5.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 02 November 2018 21:32:35

BigGrin Glad to see you back Nem . Looking forward to seeing this come together Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Spal
#4 Posted : 02 November 2018 21:52:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Glad to see your back modelling Nem,look forward to seeing it's progress.

Al
Nemesis
#5 Posted : 03 November 2018 15:01:24

The Nuclear propulsion unit is now complete and modified to take the electronics. Even though I have trimmed bits and cut parts off the top is a really snug fit and will not fall off if turned upside down. There is plenty of room in there for a 9v battery, switch and wires. Next up are the thrusters. They need drilling out to take the pe vents and wires for the led's, then I can drill the holes into the propulsion unit.
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 03 November 2018 21:51:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

WOW interesting build Nem ThumpUp Good to see you back and will follow with interest
Regards Gray
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 04 November 2018 08:55:18

BigGrin Nice start and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Nemesis
#8 Posted : 04 November 2018 13:18:35

Thanks for looking in and your comments, quite enjoying this build!BigGrin
Next up were the thrusters. These also need modding to be able to run the wires for the lights. First thing was to hold the halves together and run a drill through. They were then assembled and left to dry while I drilled out the exhausts to the size of 8.5mm to take the pe grills. They will be glued in place once the led's have been fitted and tested. Next task was to drill through the thruster supports on the propulsion unit for the wires.
Then we moved on to the antenna array which was fairly straight forward.
Next up will be the spine, this will be a very tedious part of the build, 10 segments to the spine, 5 parts to each segment and then onto the cargo pods and there are 60 of those with 5 parts to each pod!Blink Crying LOL
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
Silent_Running
#9 Posted : 04 November 2018 14:13:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb work as usual Nem, this kit looks like it has fantastic quality. It caught my eye a few weeks ago and I've got it in my saved list. I'm really interested to see how this comes together, Ill be following this one with interest.

Looking at the detail has made me want this kit even more BigGrin
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 04 November 2018 14:16:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice kit, looking really good so. Love

Mark
Nemesis
#11 Posted : 04 November 2018 15:09:24

Silent_Running wrote:
Superb work as usual Nem, this kit looks like it has fantastic quality. It caught my eye a few weeks ago and I've got it in my saved list. I'm really interested to see how this comes together, Ill be following this one with interest.

Looking at the detail has made me want this kit even more BigGrin

I have been really impressed with this kit. Parts are really detailed and top quality. No flash or pin marks and come away from the sprue nicely with very little trimming. The fit of the parts is spot on, I have not had to fill a single gap yet and the instructions are easy to follow.BigGrin BigGrin
Plymouth57
#12 Posted : 04 November 2018 16:12:33

Welcome back Nem!
Great to see you working on this brilliant kit!Cool Have you seen the paper/card 2001 models on Ebay? The Discovery, large scale pod with interior, the Moon Bus (I had the Aurora kit of that one), the Lunar Shuttle (again with interior) and the big half finished Space Wheel. Amazing kits!

Best of luck!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Spal
#13 Posted : 04 November 2018 23:50:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Nem BigGrin have to say this looks a nice crisply detailed kit.

Al
Nemesis
#14 Posted : 05 November 2018 20:44:38

Thank you for all your comments!BigGrin
Here is the dry run test fit of the back section of the spine from the antenna array to the propulsion unit and the thrusters.
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
Nemesis
#15 Posted : 06 November 2018 22:38:56

Front and rear sections of the spine are finished, cargo modules will be next. And my 3 EVA pods arrived today!Drool Love BigGrin
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#16 Posted : 06 November 2018 22:52:03

BigGrin Lovin' it so far Nem Love
Those pods are ace Drool ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 07 November 2018 08:48:04

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice, this is going to look great when finished.Love

Mark
tigerace
#18 Posted : 07 November 2018 16:46:32

Nice to see you back DarrenBigGrin great kit Cool but no where to put any mudLOL regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Nemesis
#19 Posted : 07 November 2018 19:57:54

tigerace wrote:
Nice to see you back DarrenBigGrin great kit Cool but no where to put any mudLOL regards PhilCool

Wanna bet!!Flapper LOL LOL
Nemesis
#20 Posted : 07 November 2018 20:16:01

More goodies from Shapeways!Drool Love BigGrin
37.jpg
38.jpg