Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Tornado GR.4 ZA412 617 Sqn Dambusters 70th Commemorative - by birdaj2 Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 03 November 2018 16:14:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

"Last year of the Tornado - competition entry"

The following image is used with the gracious (written) permission of Philip Stevens.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
IMG_1404.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 03 November 2018 16:37:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SATURDAY 03rd November 2018 Tornado GR.4 ZA412 617 Sqn Dambusters 70th Commemorative

THE KIT

For my build I will be using the Revell kit number 04924 Tornado GR.4 in 1:48 scale.

Bearing in mind the kit is not that old what did surprise me was the fact that it seems to be only available via the likes of eBay.

I managed to get myself a “bargain” direct from Germany and it was upon receiving that kit (as new and un-opened) that the reason this kit disappeared became evident.

I will explain that a little further as we progress but for now here are some pictures showing the box art and the frets holding the component parts.

On the whole the parts are very nicely done with lots of nice recessed panel detail but in one or two places there is evidence of flash on some of the parts. Also evident is a fair amount of parts scratched and mark were multiple frets have been added to a single bag and they have scuffed together in transit.

The kit as supplied does come with some very nice markings and I was very tempted to use these but in the end I have settled on an aftermarket set in which to finish this build.
DSCF2216.JPG
DSCF2217.JPG
DSCF2218.JPG
DSCF2219.JPG
DSCF2220.JPG
DSCF2223.JPG
DSCF2224.JPG
DSCF2225.JPG
DSCF2226.JPG
DSCF2227.JPG
DSCF2228.JPG
DSCF2229.JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 03 November 2018 17:13:50

UPGRADES

For the actual aircraft I am intending to add a bit of detailing to the kit and the main part of this will be from the Eduard set BIG49150 Tornado GR.4.

While there is an overall saving by buying the various sets in one big pack I still cannot get over just how expensive these brass sets have become.

This particular set is made up of 6 sets as can be seen in the first picture below.

Additional upgrades I am planning to use are as follows:

Master Model Pitot Tube and AOA Probes

Master Model Refuelling Probe (this is a still to be decided part as the refuelling probe in the kit is moulded in the closed position which may make this part redundant)

Scale Aircraft Conversion Landing Gear. This set is actually designed for the Hobbyboss kit so again undecided how, or even if, this will fit until later in the build.

Eduard Brassin Replacement resin wheel set

Airies Resin Exhaust Nozzle set

DSCF2235.JPG
DSCF2236.JPG
DSCF2239.JPG
DSCF2240.JPG
DSCF2243.JPG
DSCF2244.JPG
DSCF2245.JPG
DSCF2246.JPG
DSCF2249.JPG
DSCF2250.JPG
DSCF2251.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#4 Posted : 03 November 2018 17:35:41

WEAPONS LOAD OUT

While the majority of the pictures I have seen of the aircraft I want to portray are without weapons a few are seen with a few weapons loaded so having looked at what a GR.4 carries I am hoping to incorporate the following into my build.

Eduard Brassin ED648237 Litening Pod (please note I have shown the 1:72 scale here as still awaiting delivery of the 1:48 one I ordered)

Eduard Brassin ED648239 Brimstone with AGML III Rack

Eduard Brassin ED648029 AIM 9M/L Sidewinder

Flightpath RAF Laser Guided Bomb Set

DSCF2254.JPG
DSCF2255.JPG
DSCF2256.JPG
DSCF2260.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 03 November 2018 17:46:03

MARKINGS

While the kit supplied markings really are very nice and I was so tempted to use these in the end (and after much, much deliberation) I have settled upon a set from the Xtradecal range – in this case set number X48139 Royal Airforce Update 2013-14

This set will allow me to use the markings for “Tornado GR.4 ZA412 617 Sqn Dambusters 70th Commemorative”
DSCF2257.JPG
DSCF2258.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#6 Posted : 03 November 2018 17:57:18

FURTHER ADDITIONS

And really this area will be something I will look at only if I get to the point of finishing this aircraft build and have sufficient time remaining to put together a small display on which to present the finished build.

If I do indeed get to that stage the parts I have on hand are as follows:

Flightpath – RAF Tornado GR.1-GR.4 Access Ladder

Flightpath – RAF Oxygen and Nitrogen Trolley

Flightpath – RAF “Houchin” Mk.5 Ground Power Unit

Flightpath – RAF Diorama Set 1960s – 1990s period

Revell/Esci – Ground support set

Legend – US Modern Pilots (to me the outfits look very similar to RAF so if I get to use these hopefully I can get away with the fact they are not actually RAF crew)
DSCF2259.JPG
DSCF2261.JPG
DSCF2262.JPG
DSCF2263.JPG
DSCF2264.JPG
DSCF2265.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 03 November 2018 18:05:08

PAINTING

Well very far away from that at this stage but having sorted through some of the sets I have I have put these along with some “Xtreme Metal” paints (not shown in the pictures) to one side and will decide later on just which I use.
File Attachment(s):
DSCF2268.JPG (262kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
DSCF2270.JPG
DSCF2269.JPG
DSCF2267.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 03 November 2018 18:17:26

REFERENCE

There are so many really good internet sites holding a wealth of detail.

In addition there are also some very good books to be had and just a selection of my own reference books are shown below.

The Verlinden book I have had for many years now and while it does not represent the aircraft I am building (this book being dedicated to the IDS version) there are common areas between the 2 aircraft so this may be of some use with the detailing and painting of certain areas.
DSCF2273.JPG
DSCF2277.JPG
DSCF2274.JPG
DSCF2275.JPG
DSCF2276.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#9 Posted : 03 November 2018 18:58:43

PITFALLS

I mentioned at the start of this log that I was surprised how “scarce” this kit seems to have become. Even the Revell Shop had it listed only to cancel my order when I had placed it due to it being unavailable.
When I received my kit, I had a quick look through the instructions to see what was to be expected in the build and it was then I noticed an error.

In the below pictures you can see parts 172 and “CLEAR PART 173” being joined to form the “LRMTS” pod. However, looking at the parts layout in the instruction book there is no part 173 on the clear frame and same with the actual clear parts themselves.

Now at first, I thought it a case of the wrong clear parts being added into the kit but then realising the instructions parts breakdown do not show it thought this needed further investigation.

I am no expert on the Tornado but apparently you cannot build a GR.4 without this pod.

It is possible to pull this from the older Airfix or Italeri kits but unless you have one on hand it gets expensive to buy these just to get that one part.

Similar with aftermarket sets such as Flightpath and Olimp which both have this item as part of their upgrade sets but again an expensive way of obtaining this part.

Having done an internet search on “Revell Part 173” a number of refences to this issue were found. It appears that when this kit was launched the manufacturers in Poland had not been advised to “switch on” the part of the clear mould that produces part 173.

There are references to a number of companies in the UK pulling this kit from their shelves due to this issue. While Revell did rectify this by providing a replacement clear part through their spares service it would appear that a number of the kits people are selling on eBay are first production kits and are missing this part.

In my case luck was on my side in that the Revell Spares desk is still operating and a quick email to them saw the replacement part arriving a week or so back so what could have been an awkward situation is no resolved.
DSCF2234.JPG
DSCF2232.JPG
DSCF2231.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#10 Posted : 03 November 2018 19:02:59

LET THE BUILD BEGIN

So, there you have my introduction to my build.

I wish everyone that has an entry in this competition the very best of luck.
DSCF2272.JPG
Happy Modelling

Spal
#11 Posted : 03 November 2018 22:47:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice intro Tony,look forward to seeing it come together with all those additions.Good luck in the comp.

Al
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 03 November 2018 22:57:28

Spal wrote:
Nice intro Tony,look forward to seeing it come together with all those additions.Good luck in the comp.

Al

Al

Many thanks.

Looking forward to making a start tomorrow.
Happy Modelling

mogwai
#13 Posted : 04 November 2018 00:17:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi got your work cut out for you there, hope all goes as planned ,as will enjoy following your progress .cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
magpie1832
#14 Posted : 04 November 2018 01:13:41

Wow another with many extra detail sets. Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Good luck
Chris 😎
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Silent_Running
#15 Posted : 04 November 2018 09:12:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow Tony looks like you've bought the entire shop. It all looks fantastic, I'm sure you'll enjoy this build. A very thorough intro, well done BigGrin
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 11 November 2018 19:35:09

SUNDAY 11th 2018 Tornado GR.4 ZA412 617 Sqn Dambusters 70th Commemorative

THE BUILD – COCKPIT

PICTURE 1

The kit instructions have us start the model build with the cockpit. I am not going to deviate too much, if at all, as there many sections that makeup the fuselage and gluing something together before it should be could spell disaster.

PICTURES 2 & 3

So, we start with the seats and these are each made up of 5 parts. The parts are duplicated across 2 matching parts trees.

PICTURES 4 & 5

As I am using the Eduard etch set on this build its important to keep an eye on the Eduard instructions as you progress to check for any of the kits parts that may need to be modified or removed.

In the case of the seats the Eduard instructions will have us remove the moulded in seats beats from the seat cushion and backrest/headrest. There are also little squares on either side of the seat headrest that have to be removed.

What you can see in PICTURE 4 are the Eduard instructions for the seat upgrade set but it was worth looking at the Internal upgrade set as seen in PICTURE 5 as that will have you remove the detail on the top f the headrest to enable an etched piece to be added at a later stage.

PICTURES 6 & 7

Some fairly basic tools needed to remove the detail from the kits seats including a nice sharp blade (and yes, it is sharp and I managed to “stab” myself in the thumb (what a fool). I normally use a Swan Morton scalpel and number 11 blade but thought I would try something with a slightly fuller handle but this knife does not feel “natural” in my hand.

A micro chisel. This one I have had for a number of years – it was produced by a company called “Mission Models”.

Just visible top right, is one of the Flexi Files.

To get into some of the tighter areas that need clean-up these Mini Sanding sticks from Albion Alloys are ideal.

PICTURES 8, 9, 10 & 11

So, we start to use the various tools to remove the seat belts from the parts. The roughest of the sanding sticks does remove the plastic very quickly but leaves a rough finish so just a case of going down through some of the finer grades to leave a smooth part.

Having removed all of the details as shown in the Eduard instructions we can glue the seat together.

PICTURES 12 & 12A

And here is one of the seats after a quick coat of primer.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
12A.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 11 November 2018 19:42:27

PICTURES 13 & 14

Next, we move onto the Cockpit tub using Revell Parts A3 & A4. Again, we refer to the Eduard instructions to see what parts have to be removed or modified ready for the etch parts.

PICTURES 15, 16, 17 & 18

In the rear bulkhead Eduard will have us remove a moulded in Box and it does show that when this is removed we are left with a through hole in the part.

As its easier to fill something with a back to it I decided to fill this void now with the hope that when the “box” is removed from the front of the bulkhead we will be left with a nice already filled void.

For the filling I have used Squadron White Putty. Its not designed for filling very deep voids as its Toulene based and if you use this in large quantities you stand a very good chance of completely melting the plastic part.

PICTURES 19, 20, 21 & 22

From the Eduard instructions we can see in PICTURE 19 that we remove the moulded in foot pedals and the rails leaving this area clear to add etch parts.

PICTURE 20 caused me some confusion because if you look carefully it appears to show the toot pedals are reduced in height (to the same height as the rails) and onto these some etch strip and replacement pedals are added.

This area seemed a bit odd to be and I did wonder if this complete area should be removed but looking at the etch replacement parts they will need to be mounted against something so I guess leaving some of the original parts (albeit modified) is the correct path to take.

In PICTURES 21 & 22 we can see the modifications I have made to this area.

PICTURES 23 & 24

Having removed the moulded in part that prefilling of the void paid off. However, because this is a very confined area to work in I managed to removed some of the moulded in cable detail.

PICTURES 25, 26 & 27

Rather than just leave off the detail I damaged I thought I would have a go at replacing it and was fortunate enough to have some 10” thou plastic rod in my modelling box so used that to replace the damaged cable runs

PICTURES 28 & 29

Having rubbed down so much plastic the parts have dust and debris in all of the crevices so to clean this up A soft toothbrush (not one I am using 😊) and some warm soapy water cleans up the parts well.

And the final picture here is a dry assemble to see what it all looks like so far.

Having opted to use Eduard etch rather than going with a complete resin cockpit replacement does mean a lot of time is spent removing bits and pieces before you can press on but please with how it looks so in the next update I should be in a position to start adding some paint and some of the etch.

Until then “Happy Modelling”
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
29.JPG
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#18 Posted : 11 November 2018 20:36:18

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great start Tony. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

pemberg
#19 Posted : 11 November 2018 23:33:50

Great start Tony, it will look superb with the added detailing.

Graeme
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 12 November 2018 08:48:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start, looking forward to following your build.

Mark