Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Erik A Victory build Options
Erik A
#1 Posted : 10 November 2018 07:29:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

So I made a start on the Victory I got. Started with doing the frames. Given the age if this model(approx 4 years old) when I got it I took a quick look while organising the packs and it appeared ok. But on closer inspection now that I have started there are a couple of hopefully minor issues.
1. One of the frames was broken and while I think I have got it glued back together I will need to keep an eye on it
2. Some of the frames are mildly warped. I have put these under weights to remedy
3. The glue does not seem to be taking that well. As in I glue and leave and 2 hrs later the parts come apart.
4. A couple of the frames are very loose. Even after glueing they fall out so I clamp them till the glue dries

First pic of the first lot of frames I have done. 5 in this pic with another 4 under weight while the glue dries
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Erik A
#2 Posted : 10 November 2018 07:30:55

Erik A attached the following image(s):
20181110_191418.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Erik A
#3 Posted : 11 November 2018 05:56:23

All the frames complete.
20181111_175159.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#4 Posted : 11 November 2018 10:27:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you up and running with your Victory Erik, I'll be following your progress all the way so good luck with the build...Cool Cool

On your glue query, have you cleaned up all the contact surfaces of the frames prior to gluing? Any burnt ash left on the contact surfaces can lead to poor adhesion.

Regards

Alan
Erik A
#5 Posted : 11 November 2018 19:59:34

yeah did a cleanup of all the pieces. thats good to know for future though.
the ones that were real loose seemed to have the most problem with gluing so i ended up using superglue to sort those.
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
z8000783
#6 Posted : 11 November 2018 20:45:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

I know it's a silly question but you didn't use the glue that came with the model, did you?
Erik A
#7 Posted : 12 November 2018 00:43:24

Hi John

no i didnt... as it was over 4 years old it was now a solid block of PVA. so a bit hard to use BigGrin
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
z8000783
#8 Posted : 12 November 2018 06:59:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Sorry for asking, but as detectives say, you have to eliminate everything.

I am surprised though. I did a trial with PVA early on, sticking two pieces together and when I tried to separate them, the wood split first. As others have said, the surface need to be clean, free from grease and the burn marks from laser cutting. It also doesn't stick well to paint but we have to use that on many accessories later on.

Maybe it was just a bad batch but that would be surprising too.

Erik A
#9 Posted : 12 November 2018 10:23:14

All good... I may get another bottle and try that. I did think as the model is so old that the wood is so dry that it was absorbing the glue more than a newer one. I did put a fair amount on those that weren't sticking hat well and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Main thing is I aware of it so Will keep an eye on it going forward
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
gingerale75
#10 Posted : 12 November 2018 16:28:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Erik A wrote:

1. One of the frames was broken and while I think I have got it glued back together I will need to keep an eye on it

Hi Erik,

I hope you'll enjoy the build, glad to see your diary started.

I'm not sure which part of that one frame is broken, but if it's the upper part of the U-shapes which will support the deck, then you might want to consider to request replacement part. You might have a risk to brake it again during planking the hull when you'll push the pins into the frame.
Of course, it depends how strong glue did you use to repair it.

Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
Erik A
#11 Posted : 12 November 2018 19:58:37

gingerale75 wrote:
Erik A wrote:

Hi Erik,

I'm not sure which part of that one frame is broken, but if it's the upper part of the U-shapes which will support the deck, then you might want to consider to request replacement part. You might have a risk to brake it again during planking the hull when you'll push the pins into the frame.

Hi Laszlo.
it is the upper part of frame 13b just above the second deck. you can see the break in my second pic. the right hand pile top frame
I think the recourse to request replacement parts on this model is done and dusted given those parts are over 4 years old and done as a weekly subscription through a local newsagent here in New Zealand. i think its ok and will keep an eye on it during the build. if it looks like its not going to hold i may re glue with a construction adhesive or superglue and put some extra bracing on it.
Thanks for your concern

Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
gingerale75
#12 Posted : 12 November 2018 20:28:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Erik A wrote:
gingerale75 wrote:
Erik A wrote:

Hi Erik,

Hi Laszlo.
it is the upper part of frame 13b just above the second deck. you can see the break in my second pic. the right hand pile top frame
I think the recourse to request replacement parts on this model is done and dusted given those parts are over 4 years old and done as a weekly subscription through a local newsagent here in New Zealand. i think its ok and will keep an eye on it during the build. if it looks like its not going to hold i may re glue with a construction adhesive or superglue and put some extra bracing on it.
Thanks for your concern

Hi Erik,

Don't worry if your subscription ended 4 years ago, you can still request replacements.
Mine finished in 2012 but still requested and received replacement parts couple of times this year.
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
Erik A
#13 Posted : 13 November 2018 00:30:31

probably a bit early to be considering the end game but has anyone done a ship with the sails furled?
i quite like the look of her with sails but also like the look of without.
and furling the sails in place seems like a good compromise
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#14 Posted : 13 November 2018 00:48:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Erik A wrote:
probably a bit early to be considering the end game but has anyone done a ship with the sails furled?
i quite like the look of her with sails but also like the look of without.
and furling the sails in place seems like a good compromise

If you're considering furled sails as an option then you may find this topic useful....

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=16527

Regards

Alan
Erik A
#15 Posted : 13 November 2018 01:01:27

Thanks that helps but was more looking like this.
that topic gives a good start though so will just add more furling ropes to get it tighter than he has done it. i did find a Victory with furled sails but couldnt grab the image.

ok enough looking to the end... will get back to the build now BigGrin
furl.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Martyn Ingram
#16 Posted : 13 November 2018 18:16:26

BigGrin Hi Erik if you look at my build of the Soleil Royal I furled the sails on her . If you need any help just give me a shout Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Erik A
#17 Posted : 13 November 2018 20:18:07

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi Erik if you look at my build of the Soleil Royal I furled the sails on her . If you need any help just give me a shout Cool
Martyn

yeah thats what i am going to do. nice build that one Martyn
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
ian smith
#18 Posted : 13 November 2018 21:12:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Erik.
good luck with your build look forward to seeing your progress.Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Erik A
#19 Posted : 17 November 2018 02:10:45

Next few bits added...
20181117_140536.jpg
20181117_140712.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 17 November 2018 08:32:36

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking good, keep up the good work.Cool

Mark