Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Erik A Victory build Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 17 November 2018 10:29:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Steady progress is always good to see, keep posting the pics.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#22 Posted : 17 November 2018 20:49:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice start to your build, always good to see another Victory underway.

Graeme
Erik A
#23 Posted : 18 November 2018 20:26:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks everyone.
stages completed to date.
1. complete minus the gun
2. complete minus the anchor
3. complete minus the carronade
4,5,7,8,11,12,13,14,15 all complete.
and havent done the ships boat at this stage either (stages 6 and 9)
estimate of time spent so far
approx 2 hrs
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
z8000783
#24 Posted : 18 November 2018 20:55:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Erik, something you may want to consider depending on your skills, experience and confidence. If I were building the Victory again, I would leave the launch until later. There are three more to construct towards the end of the build but of course, these can be moved forward as stand alone items to any point time.

I was a complete novice at this and delaying it would have meant I made a better job than I did. Naturally, it is up to you.
Erik A
#25 Posted : 21 November 2018 23:24:43

z8000783 wrote:
Hi Erik, something you may want to consider depending on your skills, experience and confidence. If I were building the Victory again, I would leave the launch until later. There are three more to construct towards the end of the build but of course, these can be moved forward as stand alone items to any point time.

I was a complete novice at this and delaying it would have meant I made a better job than I did. Naturally, it is up to you.

Hi John

yeah i was aware of the multiple longboats and thats a good suggestion to do them all together. maybe when i get stressed from planking lol
I was going to do all the cannons together as well.

i had taken over the dining room table to do both builds but my wife has annexed the kitchen/dining/bathroom/laundry for painting and general tidy up so i am now relegated to the floor in the lounge... alternately its the outside table on the deck. Just thankful she treated the models with a bit of respect and kept the two apart and was careful moving them. should have the table back this weekend all going well
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
z8000783
#26 Posted : 22 November 2018 08:05:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Yes, I decided to do the cannons together as well after doing the first few although I still missed a couple when scoring through the parts. Bear in mind though, you will need to have 10 completed by the time you fix the upper gun deck at issue 50
Erik A
#27 Posted : 03 January 2019 20:22:16

was expecting to be able to spend a bit of time on this and the endevour longboat over the xmas break but alas my wife had other plans so no progress. now im back at work so things should settle down at home and will try and get into a regular routine with some model time
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#28 Posted : 03 January 2019 21:51:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Erik A wrote:
was expecting to be able to spend a bit of time on this and the endevour longboat over the xmas break but alas my wife had other plans so no progress. now im back at work so things should settle down at home and will try and get into a regular routine with some model time

Will be great to see you back working on her, look forward to seeing your progress...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Erik A
#29 Posted : 17 January 2019 19:52:10

finaly got some time on her last night. got the full false keel glued together and all the frames in. decks marked up ready for fixing in place. will get some pics done this weekend
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Garth
#30 Posted : 18 January 2019 11:28:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Erik,
Looking forward to see your progress.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Erik A
#31 Posted : 18 January 2019 23:56:35

Frances in place with decks ready to go. Deck planks ready to fix in place. One thing I found when putting all the frames in was the amount that had warped. I need to take a step back and see how I am going to remedy this.
Erik A attached the following image(s):
20190119_113409.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Erik A
#32 Posted : 18 January 2019 23:58:02

Auto correct ... frames in place
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#33 Posted : 19 January 2019 00:47:30

Coming along nicely Erik. When gluing the frames in place do a double check that the stern frames are fully seated within their slots. These frames have a tendency to move out of position and a lot of builders have been caught out with these, only finding the problem much later in the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Ant62
#34 Posted : 19 January 2019 05:58:52

Looking good eric.
All the ribs in place and the lower decking just gives it that edge and the feel of progress....

Pm you...
Building.
HMS Victory.....
Corel Albatross 1840......Completed
Hindenberg Zepplin museum piece..Completed
Artesian Latina Sopwith Camel.....Completed
Bismark.........
Erik A
#35 Posted : 19 January 2019 22:15:49

Lower deck now fixed in place. First time using a pin nailer. Quite tricky as everything is so small. While the model looks sort of robust it is in fact quite fragile. This is not as easy as I had at first thought this part of the build would be.
I have a tendency to rush things and this is making me take time to do it.
It's going to be interesting when planking comes along.

Thanks for looking in and all comments appreciated
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
FightingWillie
#36 Posted : 19 January 2019 22:22:11

Looks nice
arpurchase
#37 Posted : 20 January 2019 09:30:17

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Erik A
#38 Posted : 21 January 2019 09:08:31

Bit more tonight... finished pining the deck planks and added the deck cross members should have painted the first deck planks but will do that tomorrow night
Thanks for looking in
Erik A attached the following image(s):
20190121_210344.jpg
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Erik A
#39 Posted : 21 January 2019 20:53:48

so i had a bit of a brain fade and not sure if im missing something here.

the pins that you use to fit the decks and planks etc which you start from stage 17 dont arrive until stage 21 (not that its an issue with me as i have the complete pack) is there supposed to be pins before stage 21?
or do i just do what ive done and gone looking for them in future stages and use whats available
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#40 Posted : 21 January 2019 21:45:46

Erik A wrote:
so i had a bit of a brain fade and not sure if im missing something here.

the pins that you use to fit the decks and planks etc which you start from stage 17 dont arrive until stage 21 (not that its an issue with me as i have the complete pack) is there supposed to be pins before stage 21?
or do i just do what ive done and gone looking for them in future stages and use whats available

Hi Erik, all looking good. Looks like everything is lined up nice a straight.

As for the pins, you do use the pins in Stage 21 to pin the deck so you haven't had a bit of a brain fade. You get a lot more pins as you progress through the stages....

Regards

Alan