Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bamboo Options
Dinadan
#1 Posted : 12 November 2018 00:26:49

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I've got a couple of questions about the bamboo planking:

1) Knots: does it matter if the planks include a knot? In at least a couple of posts, people suggested that you should avoid knots. If this is the case, then I think I'm gong to be short of bamboo

2) Marks on the bamboo: I have quite a few planks with little brown or dark grey marks on them. Should I discard these? The reason I ask is I found someone outside this forum who had found he was getting mould on the hull, which he blamed on the bamboo. The bamboo with the marks on them seem to have been packed together; i.e most packs don't have any, whereas some packs have a lot

Chris

P.S. Supplementary question while I'm at it: is it necessary to leave the pins in at the ends of the planks? When everything is glued down they don't seem to do much (this could be because I have been drilling too large holes)
Gandale
#2 Posted : 12 November 2018 09:27:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Knots in the bamboo didn't cause me any problems at all and I didn't go out of my way to ensure I didn't have any. The only thing I did was to make sure the knots didn't sit where the planks were going to be pinned.

Doesn't really matter about marks on the bamboo either, the bamboo layer will be covered with a second layer of planking so certainly won't be seen. Have had my build since 2012 and as yet, no sign of any mould appearing on the hull and we haven't had any reports from other subscribers saying they have a mould problem.

As for the pins, you can remove the pins if you wish after the glue has taken hold...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Dinadan
#3 Posted : 12 November 2018 18:04:56

Groups: Registered

Dear Alan,

Thanks very much for your quick response

Best regards,

Chris