Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Chris' Build Diary Options
SennaMentalMe
#161 Posted : 19 May 2013 20:50:03

Groups:

Nice work Chris, looking good and very nearly finished!! ThumpUpCoolSmile

I think you might finish before me at this rate - not sure I'm even going to be on the podium!? LOL LOL Glare Flapper

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#162 Posted : 26 May 2013 17:54:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Nice work Chris, looking good and very nearly finished!! ThumpUpCoolSmile

I think you might finish before me at this rate - not sure I'm even going to be on the podium!? LOL LOL Glare Flapper

Kev BigGrin

LOL LOL LOL Thanks Kev! Been a very enjoyable build......could not have built this without Archie though!LOL LOL

ChrisBigGrin
schueyking
#163 Posted : 26 May 2013 18:20:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Issue 83

ChrisBigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#164 Posted : 26 May 2013 19:18:09

Groups:

Looking good Chris and I see you've installed the radiators now which is a bit of a tight fit? Yet to add the small aerodynamic fins on the top/side of the cockpit yet though, are you leaving those until last?

Good stuff Chris - keep it up!! BigGrin Cool

Kev BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#165 Posted : 26 May 2013 19:19:29

Groups:

Looking good Chris and I see you've installed the radiators now which is a bit of a tight fit? Yet to add the small aerodynamic fins on the top/side of the cockpit though, are you leaving those until last?

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#166 Posted : 27 May 2013 18:32:20

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Looking good Chris and I see you've installed the radiators now which is a bit of a tight fit? Yet to add the small aerodynamic fins on the top/side of the cockpit though, are you leaving those until last?

Kev BigGrin

Hi KevBigGrin The radiators fitted quite nicely....well spotted on the aerodynamic fins. I will fit them last. The only enhancement I am going to do is that very clever Driver feeder pipe that you madeDrool. I have a friend who is going to have a go at making some tyre warmers. If they are ok.....he is going to make me a set to go with the spare tyres I haveBigGrin The only worry I have is the Final fitting of the engine cover. I have read all the stories on dipping them in boiling water and heating them by candle etc. I have two....so will use the one that fits the best! Fingers crossed!!!

ChrisBigGrin

SennaMentalMe
#167 Posted : 27 May 2013 20:43:36

Groups:

schueyking wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:

Kev BigGrin

Hi KevBigGrin The radiators fitted quite nicely....well spotted on the aerodynamic fins. I will fit them last. The only enhancement I am going to do is that very clever Driver feeder pipe that you madeDrool. I have a friend who is going to have a go at making some tyre warmers. If they are ok.....he is going to make me a set to go with the spare tyres I haveBigGrin The only worry I have is the Final fitting of the engine cover. I have read all the stories on dipping them in boiling water and heating them by candle etc. I have two....so will use the one that fits the best! Fingers crossed!!!

ChrisBigGrin

Hello Chris,

I may separate the water feed pipe from the communications cable and put them on opposite sides of the seat as I watched a re-run of the 2008 Monaco grand prix the other day and it contained some VERY helpful footage from a rearward facing cockpit camera in Hamiltons' car which clearly showed that the comms cable was on the left side of his helmet (as he would see it) though I didn't see a drinks tube, but I'm sure they used them in the hotter races?

Hold fire on the engine covers Chris as I may have a very good (and simple) solution to the problem which doesn't involve having to heat them in hot water or any other method which may risk damaging them!! All will be revealed in the next week or two and I think it will be a great help to you!!

Kev BigGrin

schueyking
#168 Posted : 27 May 2013 21:19:23

SennaMentalMe wrote:
schueyking wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:

Kev BigGrin

ChrisBigGrin

Hello Chris,

I may separate the water feed pipe from the communications cable and put them on opposite sides of the seat as I watched a re-run of the 2008 Monaco grand prix the other day and it contained some VERY helpful footage from a rearward facing cockpit camera in Hamiltons' car which clearly showed that the comms cable was on the left side of his helmet (as he would see it) though I didn't see a drinks tube, but I'm sure they used them in the hotter races?

Hold fire on the engine covers Chris as I may have a very good (and simple) solution to the problem which doesn't involve having to heat them in hot water or any other method which may risk damaging them!! All will be revealed in the next week or two and I think it will be a great help to you!!

Kev BigGrin

Thanks for the updates Kev!BigGrin I will hang on with the Engine cover for now.....I am intrigued mate???Cool Cool

ChrisBigGrin
schueyking
#169 Posted : 02 June 2013 16:02:45

BigGrin Issue 84

ChrisBigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#170 Posted : 02 June 2013 20:35:35

Groups:

Great build Chris and oh so close to finishing now my friend!! CoolThumpUp

By the way Chris, I have been working on my alternative fix for the engine cover problem, which involved the use of micro magnets, but to be honest they just aren't strong enough to do the job, so i'm afraid I've ditched the idea and will be using the 'hot water' method of easing the cover into shape, the same as everyone else!! Sorry to keep you waiting mate but it was worth a try at least?

Kev BigGrin

schueyking
#171 Posted : 03 June 2013 18:41:39

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Great build Chris and oh so close to finishing now my friend!! CoolThumpUp

By the way Chris, I have been working on my alternative fix for the engine cover problem, which involved the use of micro magnets, but to be honest they just aren't strong enough to do the job, so i'm afraid I've ditched the idea and will be using the 'hot water' method of easing the cover into shape, the same as everyone else!! Sorry to keep you waiting mate but it was worth a try at least?

Kev BigGrin

BigGrin Hi Kev,
That sounded like a great idea.....what a pity it did not work.Crying
I have two engine covers to use....so hopefully one of them will fit.BigGrin

ChrisBigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#172 Posted : 03 June 2013 21:08:41

Groups:

Hello Chris, yeah a shame really as it would have been ideal but the only way I could really make it work would be to increase the size of magnets used which would then look a bit odd when the cover is removed? I will still be using the small ones in a couple of places hopefully, just to pull things together a little more, but I have since used the 'Hot Water' method on my own engine cover and it does work. you just need to do it a little at a time until it fits and it doesn't affect the paintwork at all so don't be too concerned about it mate?

As you say you may be lucky with one of your covers fitting first time and each model is different because of the way we each build our models, so it may be that everything lines up with no problem at all?

Keep up the good work mate!! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#173 Posted : 09 June 2013 16:35:48

BigGrin Issue 85...part A
I will be completing this last issue in parts....as there is a lot to do to finish the model. I am in no rush!

[

ChrisBigGrin
schueyking
#174 Posted : 16 June 2013 16:55:24

BigGrin Issue 85....Part B

ChrisBigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#175 Posted : 16 June 2013 19:23:07

Groups:

Looking good Chris and oooh so close to the end now!! I'd be a little worried about the cats' claws being so close to that sheet of decals though if I was you!? Blink Scared ThumpUp

Mine is now finished I'm glad to say, though I have a last update to add to my diary and a little something extra to finish making for it yet and then I'll put it up in the 'Finished Gallery' - just sooo busy at the moment!!

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#176 Posted : 16 June 2013 20:33:46

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Looking good Chris and oooh so close to the end now!! I'd be a little worried about the cats' claws being so close to that sheet of decals though if I was you!? Blink Scared ThumpUp

Mine is now finished I'm glad to say, though I have a last update to add to my diary and a little something extra to finish making for it yet and then I'll put it up in the 'Finished Gallery' - just sooo busy at the moment!!

Kev BigGrin

Not long now Kev.....How did you get on with the main Engine cowl? Mine is not too bad, but could be better! I had a slight accident this afternoon whilst putting on the wingletsCrying One of the pieces came apart and the fresh glue just grazed the cowl. I have reordered issues 76 and 77, because it has to be PERFECT!! The winglet is reglued and okBigGrin I will do the front wing decals first and the Engine cowl ones later when the back issues arrive.

ChrisBigGrin

SennaMentalMe
#177 Posted : 16 June 2013 21:55:13

Groups:

Hello Chris,

Sorry to hear about your mishap mate, I'm sure you'll sort it though and yes, I've sorted the engine cover, still a small gap which annoys the hell out of me being a perfectionist by nature, but I'll just have to live with it I suppose!

Best to start from the front and work your way back with the decals and leave the engine cover until last? Make sure you follow the decal number sequences as instructed in the mag otherwise you could fall foul of things not lining up properly - that is VERY important Chris!

Kev BigGrin
schueyking
#178 Posted : 17 June 2013 18:20:44

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Hello Chris,

Sorry to hear about your mishap mate, I'm sure you'll sort it though and yes, I've sorted the engine cover, still a small gap which annoys the hell out of me being a perfectionist by nature, but I'll just have to live with it I suppose!

Best to start from the front and work your way back with the decals and leave the engine cover until last? Make sure you follow the decal number sequences as instructed in the mag otherwise you could fall foul of things not lining up properly - that is VERY important Chris!

Kev BigGrin

BigGrin Thanks for the advice Kev.......I promise to be VERY careful with the decals!

All the best,
ChrisBigGrin
schueyking
#179 Posted : 23 June 2013 16:23:46

BigGrin Issue 85.... part C

ChrisBigGrin
schueyking
#180 Posted : 07 July 2013 17:43:14

BigGrin Issue 85 part d

Once the decals have dried, will be using a bit of Microsol to iron out any wrinkles.

ChrisBigGrin