Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
FightingWillie Build Options
FightingWillie
#1 Posted : 15 November 2018 23:45:54

Groups: Registered

It is now winter in northern Michigan, it is a good time to but in some work on the Victory. This is my first attempt on a wooden model. I would like some constructive criticism. It is a learning experience as I go.
The project started off a little rough, but as I go along things are tightening up. I am currently on stage 27 and ready to mark out the second deck gun ports.
FightingWillie attached the following image(s):
DSCF1640.jpg
DSCF1639.jpg
DSCF1637.jpg
DSCF1636.jpg
Gandale
#2 Posted : 16 November 2018 00:19:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good progress. As this is your first wooden ship build I would recommend you follow closely the guidance given in the Official Build....

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=topics&f=17

The official build follows the instructions step by step and highlights any potential pit falls....

There is also an official video build, again this follows the instructions step by step and you can see how each step should look.

https://www.youtube.com/...pjUDnPzoDagw3u2T7tQIBv4

Take lots of pics and post often on your diary. That way we can follow your progress and be ready to assist or advise should you require it....

Hope you find this useful... Will be following....

Regards

Alan
DaDokta
#3 Posted : 16 November 2018 13:59:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
FightingWillie
#4 Posted : 16 November 2018 14:23:01

Thanks guys: I have been watching the video and they are a great help. As you know it is one thing watching someone do it , it is another actually doing it. I do have a couple of issues going on I hope they don't come back to bite me.
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 16 November 2018 20:47:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nicely done, just take your time and enjoy yourselfCool Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

z8000783
#6 Posted : 17 November 2018 08:10:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Nice work Willie(?). Looking forward to seeing you progress through the stages.
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 17 November 2018 08:30:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very good and great start.Cool

Mark
gingerale75
#8 Posted : 18 November 2018 23:01:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Willie,

Great to see that you started your diary.
This ship is also my first wooden model, and now I’m very close to the finish line, you can check my diary.
There were lots of challanging tasks but if you take your time, I’m sure you’ll get over them.
Don’t worry, if you’ll have some difficulties (I’m sure you will have 😁😎), there are lots of experts here, they also helped me a lot, happy to answer any questions.
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
Garth
#9 Posted : 20 November 2018 06:44:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Willie,
You have made a great start. Looking forward to following your build.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
FightingWillie
#10 Posted : 30 November 2018 18:53:52

I have completed the next 2 stages of planking and the second row of gun ports cut. As you my of noticed I am getting better at planking the bow and my gun ports are coming out a little cleaner. I did notice in the last pics I posted that my exposed lower deck was crooked. I was able to break it free and build it up underneath to some what level it. it was caused by to much weight on it when I installed the deck and it bowed. I also cut one of the bow gun ports in the wrong spot and to patch it, OOPS. Cursing
DSCF1643.jpg
DSCF1644.jpg
DSCF1645.jpg
Gandale
#11 Posted : 30 November 2018 19:32:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming together very nicely, looking good....Cool Cool .. I think you will find that there are very few ship builders out there who have built one of these kind of models error free. We have all have made mistakes but the trick is spotting those mistakes and taking corrective action to put them right before it turns out to be disastrous. Its all part of the modelling experience.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more of your work...

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 30 November 2018 19:46:14

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very and tidy, coming along great.Drool

Mark
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 30 November 2018 19:56:45

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ian smith
#14 Posted : 06 December 2018 13:50:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool Looking very good BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
z8000783
#15 Posted : 06 December 2018 14:28:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Nice work Willie, that will look really good once it's been rubbed down.
FightingWillie
#16 Posted : 08 December 2018 19:22:13

I have completed the upper half of the hull planking and ready to start on the lower. I learned from the upper hull I did not shaping the ribs enough so I am going to readdress that both on the bow and stern. I do have a couple of question before I continue.
1) Should I be at least rough sanding the planks as I go or is it better to wait and do it all at once ?
2) I have seen on other diary builds they have install foam blocks between the ribs both bow and stern. Should I be doing the same and if so is expanding foam or is it packing foam cut to size and fitted ?
3) I did notice on some of the builds that the foam was proud of the ribs by several millimeter at least that what it looks like . any thoughts.

All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Willie
DSCF1649.jpg
DSCF1650.jpg
DSCF1651.jpg
DSCF1652.jpg
Gandale
#17 Posted : 08 December 2018 20:53:20

Coming along nicely Willie, looking good... In answer to your questions:

1. You should ensure all of the faring of the frames is complete prior to commencing the planking phase of any build. The instructions give guidance on how the shaping process should be done.

2. In most cases the blocks you see between the frames are balsa, rough blocks are inserted and the shaped down to frames. For new builders these can assist in getting the profile of the bow and stern areas correct. I wouldn't use expanding foam on any build.

3. Any block used should be sanded down to the ribs and not sitting proud.

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#18 Posted : 08 December 2018 21:44:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Willie, nice work.

Graeme
FightingWillie
#19 Posted : 08 December 2018 22:23:10

Gandale wrote:

1. You should ensure all of the faring of the frames is complete prior to commencing the planking phase of any build. The instructions give guidance on how the shaping process should be done.

2. In most cases the blocks you see between the frames are balsa, rough blocks are inserted and the shaped down to frames. For new builders these can assist in getting the profile of the bow and stern areas correct. I wouldn't use expanding foam on any build.

Regards

Alan

Thank Alan, as I was planking the upper hull I found I hadn't sanded it enough I am going correct on the lower. So there balsa, it look like foam, OhMyGod live and learn. I will think about the blocks it sound like a good idea.

I will have a lot more question I am sure. I know I drove the guys on auto restoration forums nuts when I was was restoring 1956 Chevy Bel-air
Gandale
#20 Posted : 08 December 2018 22:57:04

FightingWillie wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Thank Alan, as I was planking the upper hull I found I hadn't sanded it enough I am going correct on the lower. So there balsa, it look like foam, OhMyGod live and learn. I will think about the blocks it sound like a good idea.

I will have a lot more question I am sure. I know I drove the guys on auto restoration forums nuts when I was was restoring 1956 Chevy Bel-air

No problem at all Willie, any questions you have we will try to answer and help you along on your build journey. The main thing is to enjoy yourself, its a wonderful ship to build and a great hobby to get engrossed in..... Good luck going forwards...

Regards

Alan