Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
FightingWillie Build Options
DaDokta
#21 Posted : 10 December 2018 07:59:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Very neat planking so far!

As already mentioned the fillers are balsa wood and they help a lot keeping the right shape at the curved sections.
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Markwarren
#22 Posted : 10 December 2018 08:37:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very tidy job, coming on great.

Mark
FightingWillie
#23 Posted : 19 January 2019 20:17:43

Hello All:
Here are some my latest work I have completed on my Victory build. As I move further along in my planking I am seeing a little improvement in my skills. I was planning on copper plating the lower hull so I think filling and sanding is going to go along way. I would like a little advice on a problem I am having. The planks around the bow are forming about 2mm away from the ribs; it is both sides of the bow. It is hard to see I can’t to get to focus properly but I have added spacer to take it up. This was my second attempt with the same problem. So my question is 2 parts. 1) will the gap work itself out when I get further down when the hull flatten out on the bottom. 2) What am I doing wrong in the first place.
Thanks
FightingWillie attached the following image(s):
stern 01 19 2019.jpg
Starboard 01 19 2019.jpg
port 01 19 2019.jpg
bow Jan19 2019.jpg
problem.jpg
Gandale
#24 Posted : 20 January 2019 00:35:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Have been having a look at the problem you outline and from what I can see I would say the use of spacers to fill the gap you are experiencing between the ribs and the planks will not solve or improve the problem as you progress, in fact it is likely the problem is only going to get worse the more planking rows you add. It would be helpful if you could take the last pic again from the same angle and showing the whole of the bow. Try zooming out a little and think you'll find that will solve the focus problem.

As for the second part of your question. This type of problem around the bow and stern is mainly down to two things. The first is not tapering the planks enough. or incorrect tapering and the second is from trying to force planks to sit against the previous row fitted. When fitting planks they should be bent to fit the curvature of the bow and they should be allowed to sit where they want to go, ie, there should be no need to apply any lateral force up or down in order to get the plank to sit flush against the previous row. The lower edge of the plank being fitted also needs to be chamfered so it sits flat against the previous row. Forcing planks into position may solve the immediate problem but causes problems the further you progress.

A few more pics would help us see more and perhaps come up with a way forward.....

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#25 Posted : 20 January 2019 07:51:52

As Alan said the planks are trying to climb up on them selves as their is not enough sweep to the plank so they can follow the curve of the bow . I would probably take of the last two planks and bend another one and place it ln the hull and see where it lays flat on the ribs this will give you the sweep to follow . You will probably have to fit a lot of drop planks to fill the gap but when copped it will not notice. If you can take lots of pictures showing the new plank and where it sits we can go from there.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
FightingWillie
#26 Posted : 20 January 2019 16:59:45

Here is a clearer picture of the bow, if I need to remove the planks I would have to take off about 4 or 5 rows. Because I am going to copper plate it if I fix it now fill the gap it will create I can fill and sand all smooth.I narrowed chanferd a plank you can see what kind of gap I am dealing with.
DSCF1669.JPG
DSCF1667.JPG
Gandale
#27 Posted : 22 January 2019 00:38:23

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks for uploading new pics, they are a lot of help. Will now take a close look and come back to you soon with what I see as a way forward to get you back on track....

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#28 Posted : 22 January 2019 21:59:20

Hi Willie,

Have been having a look at the problem you outlined and it looks to me as if the problem really started as soon as you started planking the lower hull, from there your problem has just got worse and will continue to do so the further you go. The fitting of spacers to fill the gaps between the planks and the frames will solve the problem for that plank but will increase the problem on the next row.

I took a special look at your 4th image of post #23 and from there could see the planks had not been tapered enough nor were they chamfered along their bottom edge. Noticed that the planks appear to rise and fall as they go round the bow rather than flow in a neat straight line. Lastly, the droppers you have fitted don't appear to fit very well and don't appear to narrow down to 2.5mm at the end, neither are they bent to match the curvature of the bow.

My recommendation would be to strip back the bow planks to the plank immediately above the gun ports. If you have used PVA then stripping back is quite straight forward by using a small brush and some hot water. Paint the water into the glued joints and after a little while the glue will soften enabling you to prize the planks away. Once done give the ribs a little clean up.

Once you're at that stage, study closely build stage 32 of the instructions, especially the part that covers the fitting of dropper planks. I would also advise you watch closely stage 32 of the Video Build:

https://www.youtube.com/...XtNDxaTXiP&index=14

The video shows very well the step by step process of fitting dropper planks and should guide you along the way.

When you come to tapering the planks then take your time in getting a neat taper all the way along and then chamfer the lower edge so it sits snuggly against the previous plank fitted. This would negate the need to apply lateral force to the plank in order to get it to fit. Always apply the taper to the lower edge of the plank, this then leaves a nice straight top edge ready to accept the next row of planks.

I would suggest you fit the first dropper complete, then post up on the forum so we can see how it all looks.

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
FightingWillie
#29 Posted : 22 January 2019 23:06:49

Thanks for looking at for me. I figured I was going to have to remove the planks and try again. It look like about 8 planks on both sides. I will remove the planks and give it ago. I will also re-watch the videos again.

Much Appreciated Thanks
FightingWillie
#30 Posted : 23 January 2019 21:04:10

I got the plank off and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I expected. There was some damage but repairable. I installed a temp plank on both sides and I will start from there.
DSCF1673.JPG
DSCF1675.JPG
Gandale
#31 Posted : 23 January 2019 21:26:40

Good to see you've managed to strip back without too many problems... The fitting of your temporary plank will serve you well, just ensure it sits flat on every frame and that the gap to the last plank fitted is no wider than two plank widths. At the bow centre, both sides should be exactly in line with each other and sit 2.5mm from the last plank fitted. Lastly, the flow of the temporary plank should be straight, not wave up and down.

Well done, now we're getting back on track.

Regards

Alan
FightingWillie
#32 Posted : 22 February 2019 23:14:45

Hi all:
You might want to grab your favorite beverage this could take while. Here are some pics, of where I am at so far. I did what you suggested and removed the planks all the way back to the lower deck at the bow and at the stern. I did leave the center planks on the ship. Replacing them went pretty well they were laying better. Until I got further along to about row 15 and again started to go wrong again so I dropped back and redid those. I thought about redoing again but I was getting nervous about damaging the ribs.
As you see it is not the best it will need a lot of sanding and fill but as stated before I was planning on copper plating the hull anyway. I do have another option and that is adding a walnut or mahogany veneer strips to the lower hull below the waterline. What are thought about that?
The next time I build a hull I thinking about install filler blocks between the ribs ant the stern and bow to help give me a visual reference on the shape. Secondly I would add temporary battens along the length of the hull between the wale and keel. On a ship this size I would probably use 3 or 4 a side, again for visual reference and subdividing the hull into smaller sections.
I am going to frame the ports out before I finish the last 10 rows of planking. After I complete the filling and sanding of the hull do you apply a sanding sealer to the outside ship?
Thanks again for the help and encouragement any and all comment will be welcome.
DSCF1677.jpg
DSCF1678.jpg
DSCF1679.jpg
DSCF1681.jpg
Gandale
#33 Posted : 25 February 2019 00:03:57

From what I can see it looks like you're making good progress. You will have a lot of sanding to do but as you say, you will be adding copper tiles to the lower hull so all you are after is a nice smooth finish for the fitting of your tiles. I take it you will be painting the rest of the hull... The only way to really improve planking skills is to study other builds, video's on YouTube and of course it takes practice.

As for sanding sealer, not really necessary here as it is possible it could cause bonding problems when you come to fit the tiles. The use of balsa infills is good to do for any beginner to building these kind of ships and as you gain experience you'll find they won't be needed. Main thing I would say is study each step of the instructions before you carry out the task and take your time, remembering its not a race but a journey you've undertaken..

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Regards

Alan
FightingWillie
#34 Posted : 25 February 2019 00:15:11

Yes I will be copper plating and painting the ship. It definitely takes some practice but I am really enjoying it. Thanks for all the help.
Gandale
#35 Posted : 25 February 2019 00:19:26

FightingWillie wrote:
Yes I will be copper plating and painting the ship. It definitely takes some practice but I am really enjoying it. Thanks for all the help.

Very pleased to hear you're enjoying it, this kind of modelling can be a bug, once hooked you can't let go....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin .. Its addictive.... Here to help if you need it...

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#36 Posted : 25 February 2019 07:08:11

BigGrin Coming along nicely and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

leedsfromsouth
#37 Posted : 25 February 2019 18:57:55

Looking good ,well done .
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 25 February 2019 21:49:57

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nicely done and coming on excellently.Love

Mark
FightingWillie
#39 Posted : 19 March 2019 14:09:41

I have completed the planking and installing the gun port frames.That one gun port in the stern looks crooked in the pic, I did not notice it being that bad it might be just the angle. The bow and stern is not very good I hope that filling and sanding will even thing out.
DSCF1682.jpg
DSCF1683.jpg
DSCF1684.jpg
z8000783
#40 Posted : 19 March 2019 14:23:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Looks great. That will rub up a treat, be careful not to overdo it though.