Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS Pickle Options
coldgold
#1 Posted : 21 November 2018 15:08:27

Groups: Registered

G'day everyone,

I'm about to start the JoKita HMS Pickle and am interested in exchanging info with anyone who has finished it or is in the process. I'm presently familiarising myself and identifying the tricky bits as I see them. So far the small scale carronades and copper hull pieces look tricky but I will definitely reorder some sequences eg painting inner bulwarks, completing false deck.

I am not a complete beginner: Mary Rose, HMS Bounty (two models) HMS Beagle, HMS Supply and HMS Endeavour so far.

Kevin
coldgold
Tomick
#2 Posted : 21 November 2018 15:25:08

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, there is a full build of the Caldercraft HMS Pickle kit, here:
https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=15689
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 21 November 2018 20:44:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Kevin and enjoy your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#4 Posted : 21 November 2018 21:22:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

If you need any help adding pictures then you can find a 'how to' guide here

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=posts&t=244

Graeme
Gandale
#5 Posted : 21 November 2018 23:36:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Keven, great to have you with us.... Look forward to seeing your work your build and you'll always find any help you need on this forum.... Good luck with your build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 22 November 2018 11:20:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome Kevin ThumpUp
Enjoy your build, and hopefully we can see what you make of her.

Regards
Gray
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 22 November 2018 12:07:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome Kevin. Look forward to seeing your build.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

coldgold
#8 Posted : 27 November 2018 18:34:09

I must be thick but am not finding my way around the site at all easy.
Is this the way to enter discussion on a subject? I cannot see a guide anywhere to assist.

A nice encouraging welcome from various members to my stated intention to build a Pickle. Thank you.

I confess have been involved with the Pickle kit a year ago, which failed at guns and copper sheeting stage. This new project waits Santa's delivery on 25th.

However one matter I'm interested in: After priming and blacking the brass parts as recommended I found the carronade trunnion and related parts became too fat to fit the part drilled wooden holes in the carriage. And the trunnions themselves needed filing to shape them for those holes. Any comments?

The basic hull and planking construction I don't envisage problems with however.

Kevin
coldgold
jase
#9 Posted : 27 November 2018 20:07:15

coldgold wrote:
I must be thick but am not finding my way around the site at all easy.
Is this the way to enter discussion on a subject? I cannot see a guide anywhere to assist.

A nice encouraging welcome from various members to my stated intention to build a Pickle. Thank you.

I confess have been involved with the Pickle kit a year ago, which failed at guns and copper sheeting stage. This new project waits Santa's delivery on 25th.

However one matter I'm interested in: After priming and blacking the brass parts as recommended I found the carronade trunnion and related parts became too fat to fit the part drilled wooden holes in the carriage. And the trunnions themselves needed filing to shape them for those holes. Any comments?

The basic hull and planking construction I don't envisage problems with however.

Kevin
coldgold

When you say blacken do you mean chemicaly blacken or paint?

If you chemicly blacken as I did the par diamiter should not change if you rime andnpaintnit absolutly willnand hou may have to open up the holes

To answer your question on where to post, this topic is for discussion arround my build. You can ask questions either in the henral ship chat by creating a topic or creat anbuild diary and discuss within your build
Mhope that helps
Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
coldgold
#10 Posted : 28 November 2018 19:44:28

Thanks jade.
Blacken as in paint. I am using admiralty paints.
In my mind I had decided to drill deepen carronade hole, then assemble, glue and then paint trunnions,spacers etc but not to the end of the trunnions, leaving a small area bare. Touch up after gluing to the carriage.

Still cannot work the site system. Have only found this from email link.

Bit busy with carer duties now but will try again.
I cannot find my relocated post from the main screen, previously found too but where's the create message or search field for topic fields like pickle on that screen.
Regards
Kevin

Gandale
#11 Posted : 28 November 2018 20:32:37

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

coldgold wrote:
Thanks jade.
Blacken as in paint. I am using admiralty paints.
In my mind I had decided to drill deepen carronade hole, then assemble, glue and then paint trunnions,spacers etc but not to the end of the trunnions, leaving a small area bare. Touch up after gluing to the carriage.

Still cannot work the site system. Have only found this from email link.

Bit busy with carer duties now but will try again.
I cannot find my relocated post from the main screen, previously found too but where's the create message or search field for topic fields like pickle on that screen.
Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Can see you've made 3 posts in total since joining and all 3 are within this topic, post numbers 1, 8 and 10...

Using the link to the main screen I sent you, under the Ship Modellers section look for the Ship & Submersible Discussion topic and click on that. New menu will open up and you should see your topic HMS Pickle about half way down the screen.

Regards

Alan
coldgold
#12 Posted : 28 November 2018 22:22:05

Thanks Alan, will have ago.
Kevin
Coldgold
coldgold
#13 Posted : 28 November 2018 23:27:22

Ah ha, I think I have got it, or the basics of moving around the site anyway.
Now I will sit down and absorb jase great detailed build advice and pics over the next few days until santa brings the box.
Those bulwark eyelets for the carronade rigging look too close to the deck planking for my drill. Will have to think on this one.
For aus members, seeing news release rain in Sydney (my home for 12years) and qld, clermont, (my gold detecting holiday place) many memories as I am anglo aus and love the place.

Regards fellas and thanks to all for the help.
Kevin
Coldgold
jase
#14 Posted : 29 November 2018 20:19:07

coldgold wrote:
Ah ha, I think I have got it, or the basics of moving around the site anyway.
Now I will sit down and absorb jase great detailed build advice and pics over the next few days until santa brings the box.
Those bulwark eyelets for the carronade rigging look too close to the deck planking for my drill. Will have to think on this one.
For aus members, seeing news release rain in Sydney (my home for 12years) and qld, clermont, (my gold detecting holiday place) many memories as I am anglo aus and love the place.

Regards fellas and thanks to all for the help.
Kevin
Coldgold

If you drill at an angle so your pon vice can clear the deck, thin bend the head of the eyepin down until it is in the core t position. Hope that makes sense it is triky. Also pit some protective tape on the deck

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain