Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting Wood and Metal Options
giordanota
#1 Posted : 14 December 2018 03:16:18

Groups: Registered

I am new to the ship model hobby and recently purchased the Vasa ...primarily because I have seen the Vasa twice in Sweden.

My 1st installment is on its way but I am really confused on the painting technique. I think I have a good idea how to map the RAL codes to equivalent Testor codes which was a job in itself. But here is my question ..... Since the model contains both wooden and metal parts, I have no idea whether I need to prep either the wood or metal to have the acrylic paints work well. Any advice?
jase
#2 Posted : 14 December 2018 05:08:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi

Yes you absolutly do need to prime both materials a good automotive primer such as Halfords grey in the UK will do both

If your going to use testors paints then on the wood i would recomend sealing with a mat or satin varnish one dry to stop it peeling or scratching off

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#3 Posted : 14 December 2018 10:13:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

First of all welcome to the forum, great to have you with us and hope you enjoy your time with us. Vasa is beautiful kit and its great to hear you've decided to take this one on and I do hope we get the chance to follow your progress in the form of a build diary....

Priming both the wood and metal is necessary, it gives a good base for the acrylics to adhere to and give a good overall finish. Wood can be primed with any good quality commercial wood primer and these are available both in brush on format and spray can from any good hardware outlet. The same can be said for priming of metal parts, main thing is cleaning and priming is needed.

In your search for paints you may find this conversion chart useful, matching the RAL codes to many modelling paint brands, although I'm not sure what brands would be available across the pond.

https://www.paint4models.com/

There is also a topic that shows the paints being used on the Vasa Official build, this you may find useful too...

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=26169

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 14 December 2018 10:35:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

First welcome to the forum. There are a lot of members here with many years experience, so help is alway at hand. You’ve got an excellent kit and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of pleasure building her.Cool

Mark
Billy
#5 Posted : 14 December 2018 14:49:49

Red Medal: Red Medal

The metal decorations a very small and require a small painting brush. The smallest you can find. A hands free magnifying glass will also be necessary. There are several choices on Amazon under hobby building tools.