Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Malc's Mclaren MP4/2 Options
RM1
#1 Posted : 18 December 2018 15:36:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Another interesting car for the Mclaren collection is this MP 4/2.

The 1984 season was dominated by Prost and Lauda with 12 wins from 16. The championship went to Lauda by half a point even though he scored 5 wins to Prost's 7.
The TAG - Porsche turbo proved itself !! The car followed on from the MP 4/1 and established the Carbon chassis design from John Barnard.

This kit from Aoshima Beemax has a great detail up set from the same manufacturer so I'm looking forward to a little extra detailing. At last !! something other than a DFV power unit.

Malc.

RM1 attached the following image(s):
42-1.jpg
42-2.jpg
42-3.jpg
42-4.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 18 December 2018 21:14:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks a fantastic kit Malc, especially with the upgrades and with your skills should turn into a stunning model, nice choice. I've looked at maybe purchasing this kit myself a few times so I'll be keenly following your build to see how it all goes together and judging by the various reviews that I've read about this kit, you're in for a treat with this build Malc! Cool ThumpUp

Will you be building it as Niki Lauda's car or Alain Prost's?

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#3 Posted : 20 December 2018 15:53:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Looks a fantastic kit Malc, especially with the upgrades and with your skills should turn into a stunning model, nice choice. I've looked at maybe purchasing this kit myself a few times so I'll be keenly following your build to see how it all goes together and judging by the various reviews that I've read about this kit, you're in for a treat with this build Malc! Cool ThumpUp

Will you be building it as Niki Lauda's car or Alain Prost's?

Kev Smile

Hi Kev. Thanks for looking in. I'm doing the Lauda car, very much as the kit with some extra plumbing for good measure.
I haven't found much in the way of detail pics of that car. I'm using some other builds as reference.

Made a start on the Power unit.

Malc.
42-9.jpg
42-10.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 20 December 2018 21:06:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You've made an excellent start Malc, that engine looks cool already and as you say, it must be nice to build something that isn't powered by a Cosworth DFV! I'll keep my eyes open for any good reference sites or books on the MP4/2.

Well done already. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#5 Posted : 20 December 2018 21:18:18

Here you go Malc:

https://www.spotmodel.co...roducts_id=44920#image2

Not cheap but well worth the money, and it's currently in stock. There is an MFH 'Joe Honda' photo book further down that page, along with various other MP4/2 modelling products that might be useful to your build.

Hope that helps? ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#6 Posted : 21 December 2018 11:35:18

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Here you go Malc:

https://www.spotmodel.co...roducts_id=44920#image2

Not cheap but well worth the money, and it's currently in stock. There is an MFH 'Joe Honda' photo book further down that page, along with various other MP4/2 modelling products that might be useful to your build.

Hope that helps? ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Many thanks Kev. I haven't explored that spotmodel site before. Looks very useful.

Cheers Malc.
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 21 December 2018 16:02:34

They are really good Malc, very trustworthy, very efficient and you will be updated on the progress of your items all the way from dispatch to arrival. I even got an email to tell me when my items had arrived in the UK and had been passed to a UK carrier - that's efficiency for you.

Highly recommended! ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#8 Posted : 29 December 2018 14:34:29

Didn't like the adhesive backed aluminium foil of the kit. It's in a couple of parts and once it touches down...that's it. No movement possible.Mad
Used kitchen foil cut to shape, embossed on a mesh and stuck with a liquid glue.
Malc.
42-12.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#9 Posted : 29 December 2018 18:50:48

All looking very good Malc and a nice bit of scratchbuilt heat shielding there too. Very well done! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 29 December 2018 19:25:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looks really good.

Just a tip for the future:
Heat shielding.
Use the foil top peeled off a butter or spread tub and stick it with double sided tape.
It's already embossed...

Roy.
RM1
#11 Posted : 30 December 2018 12:56:21

roymattblack wrote:
Looks really good.

Just a tip for the future:
Heat shielding.
Use the foil top peeled off a butter or spread tub and stick it with double sided tape.
It's already embossed...

Roy.

Thanks Roy ...good tip, I must try that one BigGrin
Malc.
RM1
#12 Posted : 01 January 2019 13:47:40

Happy new year to one and all !!BigGrin

Started work on the tub and getting it ready for the Carbon decals that came with the detail kit. There's a PE section for the nose that requires some sanding down of the plastic on front end so as to get a good fit.

Also painted up some of the front suspension. Still experimenting with the fit of the parts which is generally good on this kit so far.BigGrin

Malc.

42-13.jpg
42-14.jpg
42-16.jpg
42-18.jpg
42-19.jpg
RM1
#13 Posted : 20 January 2019 13:31:44

This weeks update. Carbon decals on the tub and front suspension painted. Dry fit only at this stage.BigGrin
Malc.
42-14.jpg
42-20.jpg
42-21.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 21 January 2019 11:28:21

The same usual high standard I see Malc, all looking good and I love the carbon decaling, it gives a very realistic look to the cockpit tub.

Keep up the excellent work. Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#15 Posted : 22 January 2019 08:05:29

Kev the Modeller wrote:
The same usual high standard I see Malc, all looking good and I love the carbon decaling, it gives a very realistic look to the cockpit tub.

Keep up the excellent work. Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Thanks Kev. The decals were a bit "light brown" so I gave them a very..very slight dust of metallic gold and then toned it down with TS smoke.
Malc.
RM1
#16 Posted : 19 February 2019 08:37:19

I've been struggling to find time for building recently but have made some progress with some of the parts . BigGrin
Malc.
42-22.jpg
42-23.jpg
42-24.jpg
RM1
#17 Posted : 19 February 2019 08:39:57

Starting to Prep' the bodywork.
42-25.jpg
42-26.jpg
RM1
#18 Posted : 19 February 2019 08:44:16

I've purchased this great detail guide for the MP4/2 !! It's the Komakai book from Spotmodels. ( Many thanks for the advice Kev ).
42-27.jpg
42-28.jpg
RM1
#19 Posted : 25 February 2019 13:03:01

Front end assembled and wheels + Tyres painted.
42-29.jpg
42-30.jpg
42-31.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#20 Posted : 25 February 2019 14:37:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Just lovin' the way this is coming together Malc, the detail looks superb!

Regards
Gray