Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Blackener Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 27 September 2011 18:07:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Blushing Hi can anyone advise on the proper use of blackener

Drool I recieved my shiny brass cannons so following the instructions for Krick blackener i diluted the solution 1:1 and dropped 6 cannons into a mug of the solution

Instructions say leave for 15 minutes for a darker colouring

Confused After 1 hour my cannons were still a shiny brass

Cool Having purchased 2 bottles i added the cannons to a mug of undiluted solution this is a lot better and after about half an hour got a reasonable result

Confused The next lot of cannons i placed in the solution taking a bit longer to colour but not as dark as the 1st lot more like a dark bronze

Confused I take it the chemical reaction gets weaker etc
(the liquid is now blue in colour)

Any ideas/tips appreciated
willie
#2 Posted : 27 September 2011 18:35:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

wash the cannons in soapy water and rinse with fresh to re move anny prosses oil or grease from fingers first the instructions says to keep stiring till require colour is reach
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 27 September 2011 19:14:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Stuart,
Here is the said tutorial..( I Leave mine for a few hours but if stubborn over night is ok.)

Firstly, You need to buy blackener, mine was from CMB. Also some Alchol solution or degreaser. I use Isopropyl Alcohol from the chemists(Only from Chemists as its very inflammable and is used in explossives so is only sold in 1/2 litre bottles).Also needed are various sized plastic only pots/cups or tubs.

First you need to put your brass parts in the Alcohol for 10 minutes and swish around to degrease them.
Then prepare your solution which is mixed 1:1 with water. The weaker the solution the lighter the Black. Hot water Activates the process quicker but don't boil the solution.(cold water slow process/warm water faster process).

Next put the Brass part into clean water and move around and lightly scrub the part.Being careful not to handle too much.

Remove from the water and put into the solution wet. Stir the part around with WOODEN spatular( Plank in my case). Leave for 15 minute stirring every now and then. check for coverage and leave for longer if required.

Personally I got a jug of hot water. My solution was in a plastic cup so I sat it on the water so it warmed the solution.

Once coloured to the shade required remove the part from the solution with tweezers or long nose pliers and rinse in cold water. Place on paper towel until dry. You will notice a black powdery coating get a small soft cloth an Buff the part which will uncover your hard work.
Chris...

BEWARE>>>>>> The solution is toxic so follow the instructions provided for the handling of the solution>>>>>>>

magpie1832 attached the following image(s):
P1200699-1.jpg
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

budgie
#4 Posted : 27 September 2011 19:19:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin thanks to all for replies
BigGrin Cheers Chris i was expecting the cannons to go black in 15mins

Crying Done everything else (cleaning)apart from being patient (overnight)
Blushing Thanks
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 29 January 2013 16:24:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All
Just read the above tutorial(very goodBigGrin).

Have just received some Krick from CMB but instructions in German. My knowledge of German means I can order food/drinks etc, not play with this stuffCrying .Hence the above is very useful.
One more issue I have is the Isopropyl Alcohol.I have found it for sale on amazon and ebay, is this the same stuff as mentioned above?

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

court orchard
#6 Posted : 29 January 2013 16:56:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Same stuff, seems to be readily available on Ebay etc., along with all sorts of other chemicals But it's all a bit dodgy as shipping chemicals by post is against the law. Can't be too long before it gets stopped, so buy a gallon while you can. It goes by a lot of other names such as Rubbing Alcohol, Propan-2-ol, IPA, Isopropanol etc. We used it at work by the lorry load it's a great all round general cleaning solvent.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 29 January 2013 18:24:00

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

court orchard wrote:
Same stuff, seems to be readily available on Ebay etc., along with all sorts of other chemicals But it's all a bit dodgy as shipping chemicals by post is against the law. Can't be too long before it gets stopped, so buy a gallon while you can. It goes by a lot of other names such as Rubbing Alcohol, Propan-2-ol, IPA, Isopropanol etc. We used it at work by the lorry load it's a great all round general cleaning solvent.

Cheers Court,
I think I will get mine locally, it seems ebay and the like are a law unto themselves, I told them recently that Golden Apple snails are banned from sale in this country and they are still for sale.
The other reason is that my postman delivers my Sots(and soon the Victory)and I don`t want to upset him, as I wouldn`t like the idea of getting my parts looking like splinters.LOL

Regards
Delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

moriarty
#8 Posted : 04 February 2013 13:53:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The blackener I used was used by Magpie I think and it was purchased from a model railway outlet on line. Have a look at his build. That stuff blackens in seconds, not hours like some of them. I think I paid about 7 or 8 quid for it and could well recommend itBigGrin
HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
court orchard
#9 Posted : 04 February 2013 15:36:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use Blacken-It, available on EBay. Works in a few minutes with a clean surface.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Gandale
#10 Posted : 04 February 2013 21:53:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

court orchard wrote:
I use Blacken-It, available on EBay. Works in a few minutes with a clean surface.

Have just used Blacken-it for the first time and have to say I like the initial results.... Be very careful of the vapour it gives off though, do not use in a confined space or your head will spin....

Regards

Alan