Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2D2 Right leg motor not working Options
kryten2x4b
#1 Posted : 30 December 2018 14:11:06

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Just finished building R2-D2 and tested most functions which seem to work but the right leg motor does not move. Have taken apart and checked all connections from the right leg to the MCU and sensor board and they are definitely plugged in. Tried connecting the motor itself to the test PCB and it turns fine. I'm suspicious of the MCU at the moment.

Thought it might be one of the leg sensors. Disconnected the left leg sensors to see if that would stop the left leg motor functioning and it didnt. Tried the same on the right leg and still the same - no movement. Any suggestions would be gratefully received?

In the mean time i'm going to continue testing other functions to see if anything isn't working but I dont think so, head moves left and right, light sabre, projector, sound, status lights etc work.

Thanks Paul (frustrated R2D2 builder)

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 30 December 2018 19:26:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul

Could you check the pins in the MCU are straight and that the metal contacts in the lead plug are seated fully in there housing.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Jaggy2019
#3 Posted : 31 March 2019 17:52:35

kryten2x4b wrote:
Hi,
Just finished building R2-D2 and tested most functions which seem to work but the right leg motor does not move. Have taken apart and checked all connections from the right leg to the MCU and sensor board and they are definitely plugged in. Tried connecting the motor itself to the test PCB and it turns fine. I'm suspicious of the MCU at the moment.

Thought it might be one of the leg sensors. Disconnected the left leg sensors to see if that would stop the left leg motor functioning and it didnt. Tried the same on the right leg and still the same - no movement. Any suggestions would be gratefully received?

In the mean time i'm going to continue testing other functions to see if anything isn't working but I dont think so, head moves left and right, light sabre, projector, sound, status lights etc work.

Thanks Paul (frustrated R2D2 builder)

My R2 D2's right leg motor not working as well.Confused
turenko
#4 Posted : 11 December 2021 23:34:51

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I got the same problem here.. just finished my R2 and he only turns left, all the other funcions seems to be OK but the right leg motor does not work!

Any solution to this issue??
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 12 December 2021 09:58:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The right leg motor has the encoder that starts R2 at the initial startup. If it wasn’t working at all then nothing else would startup and not operate. Check all the cables, make sure they are connected with pins in place, no bent ones. Also check cables for broken solder joints.

Mark