Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Phil's CB750 build Options
PhilM
#1 Posted : 03 January 2019 22:12:47

Groups: Registered

Well, as a build diary this needs to start with an excuse as I'm already quite a way through the "year" / build ... but I suppose better late than never!

The attached pic (hope it shows up!) is of the main assembly progress to date; the front forks, wheel, handlebars etc are also assembled but out of shot.

This is (mostly) up to and including stage 61.

I got the full kit: a couple of problems so far, and a diversion from the recommended order.

- a defective headlight wiring "loom" was quickly replaced by Customer Services; they are good.

- the "engine cables A and B" (stage 52) all (yes, all four ...!!) broke / snapped at the join of the hollow cable with the solid part, when bent into position. Simple gluing didn't work, so I resorted to hand-drilling a pilot hole into each fixing and using a stub of copper core to glue-join the hollow cables back to the fitting. OK so far.

- having read ahead in the instructions, I was concerned at the directions to join and then separate the main frame halves three (?) times ... concerned in case of stripping screw heads / threads / etc in such large and fundamental parts.

I felt that by "working ahead" I could join the frame halves only once, after all the other steps are completed in advance: this has worked for me I hope (!), having got to this point with everything "in" and no parts left over ...

The last item still to fit at this point is the transmission case cover, which has left the drive sprocket exposed for tensioning the chain, with the cover itself able to be fitted last with all the other parts in place.

Looking forward to finishing the beast ...

PhilM attached the following image(s):
IMG_1095.jpg
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 03 January 2019 22:22:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice work, you do get a spare set of cables later on in the build so if you look at your parts you should find themCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

PhilM
#3 Posted : 03 January 2019 22:34:05

Hi, thanks for your comments, and the point about more cables ...

Do you know by any chance which stage number has the spares? I had looked pretty carefully through all of the parts because of my "out of sequence" approach, to try and make sure I didn't miss out something vital; I hadn't seen any spares for these specific cables, and checking now through all of my as-yet unopened packages I still don't see them?

Not too big a deal as I'm happy enough with my repairs - having used an artist's ink fibre-tipped pen to colour and disguise the join, they look OK.
Spal
#4 Posted : 04 January 2019 01:41:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great job Phil, looks to becoming along well. The replacement cables were in pack 20 stage 64 I think.

Al
PhilM
#5 Posted : 04 January 2019 10:39:43

Spal wrote:
Great job Phil, looks to becoming along well. The replacement cables were in pack 20 stage 64 I think.

Al

Thanks for this ... they are indeed in stage 64!!

Not that I have (quite) got to Pack 20 / Stage 64 yet anyway, but in my amended sequence approach I had simply set aside all of the parts for the base - all of which I'm going to do "in one go" - and not looked at either those instructions or the parts themselves ... I just hadn't seen / noticed the new cables.

Now I've read those instructions I can see that stage 64 comments on the potentially weak original cables and shows a way to glue them as well as supplying the replacements. And looking at the stage 64 bag, the cables are indeed sitting there, hiding behind the control panel facia plate ...

Note to self: read ALL of the instructions first, THEN begin ...!!
PhilM
#6 Posted : 06 January 2019 16:42:47

Replacement cables from stage 64 duly installed ... not quite as easy with the frame fastened up, but but the new cables are definitely an improvement!

IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_7513.jpg
PhilM
#7 Posted : 15 January 2019 12:13:37

Here she is a little bit further on .. oil tank etc. fitted, plus the circuit board on and cables connected.

Next step is the fuel tank: the somewhat annoying need to file down the tank locating tab, to avoid it fouling the cables now routed through the slot in the frame intended it would seem for that very tab (!), plus in my case the tank doesn't quite fit width-wise over the two fixing towers on the frame halves, and so I need either to file down the tower outside faces (no more than a coat of paint depth, I think ...) or file back the mounting points on the inside faces of the tank.

The former are much easier to get at, but it seems a shame to file off the paint there, even though it won't of course be seen once the tank is on ...
IMG_2913.jpg
PhilM
#8 Posted : 21 January 2019 11:57:11

Some more progress ... front wheel assembly now fitted, beginning to look like a bike!

One issue has surfaced: now I have retrieved the assembled front forks etc from its storage bag to marry up with the main frame, the front tyre looks decidedly grey compared with the rear tyre, although I have kept / treated (greased, as recommended ...) both exactly the same.

Colour difference is more noticeable by eyeball than in the attached pic ...

Any suggestions for "re-blacking" the front tyre, that will return it to the same appearance as the rear tyre?
IMG_2109.jpg
Nemesis
#9 Posted : 21 January 2019 12:04:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

WD-40 on a soft cloth.BigGrin
PhilM
#10 Posted : 21 January 2019 12:12:01

Nemesis wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that!
PhilM
#11 Posted : 22 January 2019 17:17:47

Nemesis wrote:

The WD-40 seems to have worked a treat, thanks!
PhilM
#12 Posted : 22 January 2019 17:20:07

And ... I now have a working base and bike electrics ... yippee!

Now to detach the front forks in order to fit the fuel tank ... and then re-attach the front forks again!

Took three hands and some cursing the first time ...
IMG_2043.png
PhilM
#13 Posted : 21 February 2019 11:30:32

I now have the completed bike ... looks great!

Some of the steps are a bit tortuous and (unnecessarily, IMO) fiddly at times, but I can certainly recommend this model to anyone interested in the real thing.

IMG_0444.jpg
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 21 February 2019 20:32:19

BigGrin Looks great and well done on finishing the buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .