Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Soleil Royal - Oliver Options
Oliver
#1 Posted : 10 January 2019 13:10:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello Everybody,

After watching the forum and doing some research in the last year, I have finally gathered the courage to start a Soleil Royal model. I have always been fascinated of ships, their history and the way they worked, so it is a great privilege to be able to give shape to such a marvel of engineering at its time.

This is the fist model I ever started in my life, and I know for a fact that it will be first of many.

I would appreciate any advice you have for me, and I hope you don't mind that I will be asking a lot of questions.

I have attached here some pictures of the built so far:

I would really appreciate if you could recommend a type of varnish that I could buy for the model. I am using some kind of varnish that is white when applied, but it goes transparent once it dries, which is fine. The only problem is that I need to apply about 4 coats in order to achieve a good result. Was that the case of all of you? or you might obtain a nice finish from applying 1 2 coats only?

Also is there any way I could find the set of paints needed for this model? Or could you recommend me the shades some of you that have built this model, used?

As this is the first model I built, and I lack the experience, I won't go into being very creative, but I would rather stick to the instructions.

Thank you very much guys, I can't wait for your thoughts on this, and your recommendations.

Regards,
Oliver.
File Attachment(s):
20180715_205344815_iOS.jpg (2,309kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
20180715_205352648_iOS.jpg (2,520kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
20180715_205409850_iOS.jpg (3,332kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
20190111_202347699_iOS.jpg (3,608kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
20190111_202359650_iOS.jpg (3,196kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
20190111_202413080_iOS 1.jpg (2,976kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
20190111_202444219_iOS.jpg (3,115kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
20190111_202503758_iOS.jpg (3,163kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
20190111_202524136_iOS.jpg (2,955kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
20190111_202656022_iOS 1.jpg (2,697kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
20190111_202712089_iOS.jpg (2,724kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
20190111_202741989_iOS 1.jpg (2,847kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
mwstratton
#2 Posted : 10 January 2019 13:37:57

Nice start. Ive just started this build myself after a 22 year hiatis from modeling. (Cost of raising a family).

Waiting to receive pack 2.

Keep pushing on.

Mark
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 10 January 2019 13:55:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like you are off to a great start.

Cool Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a diary. Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#4 Posted : 10 January 2019 16:02:21

Groups:

Great start Oliver and welcome to ModelSpace Cool
w1xq
#5 Posted : 25 January 2019 22:34:55

Looks great. I to wonder about varnish. Was thinking Varathan since it is water based. Also I am thinking acrylics for paint but Tamiya gold paint for the oranament. Would like to see what others suggest
73 de John
W1XQ (ham radio operator)
Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society
Operator aboard Museum Ship USS Stewart and USS Cavalla

Current attempt: Soleil Royal
Prior Builds: Nantucket Lightship, South Goodwin Light vessel, Natchez Packet Paddlewheeler, Souhern Belle Paddlewheel Towboat
w1xq
#6 Posted : 25 January 2019 22:36:06

Oh and washes. Been reading through the pack instructions. Want to see what washes are used on ornaments.
73 de John

Prior Builds: Nantucket Lightship, South Goodwin Light vessel, Natchez Packet Paddlewheeler, Souhern Belle Paddlewheel Towboat
Gandale
#7 Posted : 25 January 2019 23:31:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're off to a very nice start Oliver. I would certainly recommend you set the keel into a build jig to ensure you keep everything nice and straight. It's very easy to induce a twist into the hull when you start planking and that will cause problems later in the build....

Look forward to seeing your next update...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 26 January 2019 00:23:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Vallejo and tamiya do some good washes and vallejo's liquid metals are good tooCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

magpie1832
#9 Posted : 26 January 2019 09:40:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Off to a great start mate.

The ornaments on the Soleil are already gold coloured so all you need is a wash. The official build I did used Tamiya Smoke. It works a treat. It also dulls down the gold a little.

The figure head isn't painted. I just used brass enamel to paint this then the Tamiya Smoke.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

w1xq
#10 Posted : 26 January 2019 18:18:10

Thanks for the info Chris!
73 de John

Oliver
#11 Posted : 28 February 2019 17:30:31

Thank you very much for all the replies and support, they definitely help a lot. I have ordered a build jig to help me with keeping the hull straight, although I wished I have documented myself better before I started the build.

I have moved forward and started the planking. For somebody who's never done it before, I can say that I find it quite difficult, and as you can see from the pictures I have made certain mistakes which I am now trying to correct. I bent the planks quite a lot at the bow of the ship, and I'm out of space to lay the other planks now.

As you see the last plank on the port side is my attempt of trying to correct the mistake, and I'm planning to go like this until I should have finished the bow space to the upper planks. I hope this makes sense.

Another mistake I have made is on the bow's upper deck, where I have cut the deck where the hull joins the raw plank. I will try to think of a way to correct that, as It is a very important part of the ship which will be very visible even when finished.

I am now watching both the videos and the pdf diary before going ahead with a stage now, in order to avoid making mistakes like this.

I believe planking requires a lot of practice before getting it right.

If you spot any more mistakes I will definitely appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Oliver.

ian smith
#12 Posted : 28 February 2019 20:33:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool Looking good OliverBigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
magpie1832
#13 Posted : 28 February 2019 20:39:34

Great work Oliver. Coming along nicely

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Oliver
#14 Posted : 07 July 2019 22:50:59

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since my last post, that is because I've been progressing slowly because of a new project I've got at work, being able to come home only for 1 day a week.

Since my last update I have continued planking the hull, which I find quite hard if you have never done it before. I have managed to buy myself a jig as advised by Gandale, but for planking phase I cannot find any position to fix it too, so I haven't started to use it yet.

Here are some of the pictures I have taken of my progress.

As I am following the official build diary, I have also started to build the launch which I'm about to start planking tomorrow.
I will keep you updated.

Thank you for all your support.

Regards,
Oliver.
Gandale
#15 Posted : 07 July 2019 23:42:53

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Oliver, great to see your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Oliver
#16 Posted : 04 January 2020 19:10:50

Hello Everyone,

It has been quite a lot since my last update. I've been continuing to work in the Soleil Royal model quite slowly because of my work, having a baby, etc etc.

I have finished planking the hull and applied filler where I thought it was necessary. I have put a lot of effort into sanding and filling to make sure I have a nice uniform hull for the second layer of planks.

I have also started my second layer and I am struggling a lot because I don't know exactly what glue to use. I have started with gorilla supper glue which I find quite messy, and it is getting dry extremely fast. I have also bought this Gorrila Clear Glue from amazon, but it is drying in about 24h completely, and it is not sticky enough for the bamboo planks to stay attached, especially at the corners where a stronger grip is required. I have done about 6 rows of planks on both sides and I found it so frustrating. I've been looking at the official build video and I don't know what glue he is using because the planks seem to stick like a charm, so I decided to abort working on the planks until I figure out how to proceed, without risking to ruin the built. I will come with an update of the second planks tomorrow, so that you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway I'm sure you will be able to guide me so I'll wait for your reply before going forward with the build.

Let me know what you think about the build so far, I know you have much more experience than I do, so every advice will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Oliver.

against the wall online free
Martyn Ingram
#17 Posted : 04 January 2020 20:00:16

BigGrin Very nicely done on the sanding Cool . The glue I use is PVA White wood glue as it will grab in about 5 minutes and will clean up with damp cloth. Just make sure that the planks are pre bent so they follow the curve of the hull .
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Oliver
#18 Posted : 04 January 2020 20:07:31

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Very nicely done on the sanding Cool . The glue I use is PVA White wood glue as it will grab in about 5 minutes and will clean up with damp cloth. Just make sure that the planks are pre bent so they follow the curve of the hull .
Hope this helps
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Just wanted to double check with you, did you use PVE for gluing the brown bamboo sticks to the sanded hull? Because you said that they need to be pre bend but they are very thin so they bend as you apply them to the first layer of planks.

In the official built diary he seems to be using some clear glue, take stage 72 video for example. It seems so easy to attach them the way he is doing.

Thanks a lot.
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 04 January 2020 21:08:35

BigGrin Hi Oliver the glue I used was Evostick White PVA wood glue. I think the official build use contact adhesive the trouble with that glue is you only get one chance of getting it right . I always curve my planks so they sit right.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#20 Posted : 04 January 2020 21:48:08

Like Martyn, I've only ever used PVA to apply the second layer of planking. Easiest to use and easy to clean up too... Can even remove planks if it becomes necessary... PVA would be my recommendation too....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan