Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vader1979 Options
vader1979
#1 Posted : 15 January 2019 04:47:25

Groups: Registered

So I know I havent posted on here for a long time, but I have gotten the interior and cockpit done, and am now working on the bottom hull painting. I have gotten the bottom primed and painted with DOA paints, and also have the panel shades done. It is time to start the weathering process! This is where I am stuck. I have been stuck at this spot for about 1.5 months now, as I dont really know what to do first!? I know there are washes, streaking, discoloration, rust spots, etc. I am just frozen, as i am overwhelmed with how to start it. First, do I need to varnish it? I bought some satin and gloss Vallejo acrylic varnishes I can spray in my airbrush I want to use. I also have spray can umbrol matte and gloss cans, but am nervous to use those, as my test piece for my matte turned out frosty! I dont want to do that to my bottom hull after all the hours put into it!
I want to try doing some oil washes, and then some discoloration on the panels like Fichenfoo does on his small falcon on youtube. So I am guessing I have to varnish first. But should I use satin or gloss? After that, what steps do I take? It's just so much, that is why I am stuck. Here is a couple pics of the hull as of right now. I do have some extra panel pieces I can practice on first, and plan on doing before hitting the real model!
File Attachment(s):
20181221_103048.jpg (3,534kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
20190110_094737.jpg (1,040kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
20181212_234917.jpg (3,720kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
20190110_094737.jpg (1,040kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 15 January 2019 08:50:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

If you have some test pieces then test on those first, for your own peace of mind. When doing the custom build I pretty much weathered over the existing panels. There were panels that I painted first, most of which were the detailed parts, but I weathered over those with mig oils without varnishing first. I only varnished once I had finished.

Here is a link to the weathering page I did using the oils, the panel used had not been pre painted first.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=22081

Mark
vader1979
#3 Posted : 15 January 2019 09:06:52

Markwarren wrote:
If you have some test pieces then test on those first, for your own peace of mind. When doing the custom build I pretty much weathered over the existing panels. There were panels that I painted first, most of which were the detailed parts, but I weathered over those with mig oils without varnishing first. I only varnished once I had finished.

Here is a link to the weathering page I did using the oils, the panel used had not been pre painted first.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=22081

Mark

Awesome! Yes, this is the look I am going for. Your way is very similar to Fichenfoo on YouTube on his smaller falcon. I do have 2 big test panels I am planning on using first, plus an extra lower recess pit to try weathering first before the 2 pits I plan on putting in the bottom hull.
You said you didn't paint the panels first, but mine are already primed and painted with the base coat and panel shades for the bottom hull from DOA paints. The top hull isn't painted, but is primed already with gray primer. So can I use your method on painted panels already? If yes, would I need to varnish the panels first? Thanks, and your model looks awesome!
vader1979
#4 Posted : 15 January 2019 09:11:51

I don't know why my pics aren't uploading! im trying to figure it out so I can show you what I have done without you having to download the images!
EDEIT: tried doing it again from a different location, and it did the same thing. What am I doing wrong?!
File Attachment(s):
20181212_234917 (1).jpg (3,720kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 15 January 2019 11:19:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You need to resize your images to 650 x 480 and not upload from iPad as they do not load well.
I had painted some of the panels particularly on the main engine rear top and used the oils straight on the paint without varnish and was fine. However, I did leave those painted panels to dry for a couple of weeks before doing so. If you have the spare panels, try it first but should be fine.
Once all the weathering had been applied, I let it dry for a few weeks, then applied a matt varnish to seal everything.

Cheers
Mark
Chip
#6 Posted : 15 January 2019 19:58:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I don’t have the experience or skills compared to Marks builds but I was the same as you in putting off the painting of my lower hull and letting other projects take over out of fear of doing the painting which in my case turned out to be 10 months before I got round to it. I found that putting the gloss varnish on allows the pin washes to flow easier but once I got round to oil washing (first time ever doing this) I really went to town with wash after wash and then adding weathering powders, and as long as I left around 24hours before the next wash the previous coat was fairly well sealed in.

Once I got over my fear and realised that as the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy it didn’t matter on how bad the weathering was that it just added to the overall effect, but go light wash after light wash until happy, going one light wash too far isn’t as bad as going way over board in several thick coats.

P.S. Have you tried using a photo hosting site for your picture links, after the photobucket changes I moved to https://postimages.cc but there’s plenty of choice out there.