Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Malc's Fiat 806 Options
RM1
#1 Posted : 20 January 2019 13:51:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

The wonderful prize for the F1 historic build competition has arrived !!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin . Perhaps the start of purpose built and innovative F1 cars. Manufactured in 1927 by Fiat to fight back at the Alphas of the day. Raced once ( at Monza ) achieved pole and won. A 12 cylinder Vee (1500cc) set low in the chassis to improve the C of G made for a very competitive machine. After it's maiden success the only example was destroyed by order of G. Agnelli and Fiat pulled out of GP racing again. Only a few pictures remain.

This will make a great addition to my GP car collection as a real bit of history.

Many thanks to Tomick and Modelspace for this generous prize.

Malc.
RM1 attached the following image(s):
F806-1.jpg
F806-2.jpg
F806-3.jpg
F806-4.jpg
F806-5.jpg
F806-6.jpg
F806-8.jpg
F806-7.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 20 January 2019 16:09:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Very nice choice of kit.

Drool Drool Drool

Will follow the build with interest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 20 January 2019 19:19:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great choice Maic, and i’m very envious Drool I’ll be very interested in how this comes together
Regards Gray
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 20 January 2019 20:09:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice kit Malc, you’ll have lots of fun with this. Love

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#5 Posted : 21 January 2019 11:24:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks like some nice content in that box and of all of the recent Italeri 1:12 classic grand prix car releases, I think the Fiat 806 is the most appealing? I am sure you'll make a great job of building it Malc and I'll certainly look forward to following your diary.

A very well deserved prize, well done! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#6 Posted : 22 January 2019 08:10:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Guys !! It certainly looks like a good challenge. The start may be delayed a little as I want to get the MP4/2 finished but I keep looking at the box and thinking maybe I should just do a small section ........BigGrin
Malc.
RM1
#7 Posted : 24 May 2019 15:47:41

So.. a start made BigGrin
Got the ladder frame chassis together and experimented with some body colour on the undertray. There are no colour pictures of the real thing but from what I've read it was a darkish red ( pidgeon blood was one description ). I'm going to go with Italian red (TS8) dumbed down with smoke which will also give something of a used appearance.
The cross bracing was two moulded parts from which I removed the rod section and replaced with brass rod.
F806-9.jpg
F806-10.jpg
F806-11.jpg
F806-12.jpg
RM1
#8 Posted : 24 May 2019 15:52:43

This 12 cylinder engine ( 1500cc - U12 ) is a real beast BigGrin
Dry fitting parts before deciding on the colour scheme.
F806-13.jpg
F806-14.jpg
F806-15.jpg
RM1
#9 Posted : 24 May 2019 15:56:35

In one build review that I found the modeler complained about the engine support points not lining up with the holes in the chassis. I think he made a mistake which resulted in the engine siting up at a slight angle and fouling the bonnet.
So far it looks like it all goes together well.
F806-16.jpg
F806-17.jpg
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 24 May 2019 21:46:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks good to me Malc and I have always found getting the chasiss lined up correctly on this old type of car a must for everything else to line up later in the buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RM1
#11 Posted : 25 May 2019 15:14:34

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looks good to me Malc and I have always found getting the chasiss lined up correctly on this old type of car a must for everything else to line up later in the buildCool

Thanks Andy. You're quite right about getting the chassis straight early on. There was a slight twist which picked up the front right spring hanger but the engine block pulls that out.BigGrin
Malc.
Garth
#12 Posted : 30 May 2019 05:58:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Malc,
Great work so far. Looking forward to your next update.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Kev the Modeller
#13 Posted : 08 June 2019 11:08:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good so far Malc, should be an impressive model when completed.

Not sure I like the way that Italeri have moulded those spark plugs with a join right through the middle of each one? Would have been better to provide them as separate parts and would also make painting them somewhat easier? Great to have such a large scale kit of a vintage racer available to buy nonetheless!

Well done. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#14 Posted : 10 June 2019 16:00:49

Garth wrote:
Hi Malc,
Great work so far. Looking forward to your next update.
Kind regards,
Garth

Hi garth, many thanks for the comments.
Malc.
RM1
#15 Posted : 10 June 2019 16:05:45

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Looking good so far Malc, should be an impressive model when completed.

Not sure I like the way that Italeri have moulded those spark plugs with a join right through the middle of each one? Would have been better to provide them as separate parts and would also make painting them somewhat easier? Great to have such a large scale kit of a vintage racer available to buy nonetheless!

Well done. ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Thanks for looking in Kev.

I can only agree with your observation on the spark plugs. There are a couple of odd items in this kit. It makes for an interesting challenge though BigGrin .

The plug leads are moulded "rubber" and a bit on the large side so I'm cutting off the plug sockets and attaching 1mm cable. The kit parts were compared to the sentinals in the Matrix in one build diary I saw BigGrin BigGrin

Malc.
F806-18.jpg
F806-19.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#16 Posted : 10 June 2019 18:17:57

I think I would also have done likewise and replaced those overscale spark leads Malc. Your thinner replacements look much better and definitely worth the extra work involved!

Well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 10 June 2019 18:46:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Malc

I think that is a good choice in replacing those cables as it looks like the molded versions have flash along the lengths.

Odd really that they did not supply plastic plugs and lengths of wire to make these up as you are doing.

Was looking at this kit myself and nearly had a good deal on ebay recently but got beaten in the final bidding - better luck next time i guess.

Hope the rest of your build goes well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 10 June 2019 21:06:40

BigGrin Looking good and the wire replacements were the only way to goCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RM1
#19 Posted : 11 June 2019 09:19:42

birdaj2 wrote:
Malc

I think that is a good choice in replacing those cables as it looks like the molded versions have flash along the lengths.

Odd really that they did not supply plastic plugs and lengths of wire to make these up as you are doing.

Was looking at this kit myself and nearly had a good deal on ebay recently but got beaten in the final bidding - better luck next time i guess.

Hope the rest of your build goes well.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I hope you manage to get hold of one of these kits. BigGrin
Malc.
RM1
#20 Posted : 11 June 2019 09:26:25

There's a lot of components in this kit devoted to the engine / Gearbox assembly. It would be a good candidate for a really used weathered look but I'm going with a cleaner approach and using a bit of license with the colours to get some contrast and visual interest. I've used Alclad and Tamiya Aluminiums and metallics on the initial pieces prior to assembly.
Malc.
F806-20.jpg
F806-21.jpg
F806-22.jpg
F806-23.jpg
F806-24.jpg