Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
BoatBetty's Build Options
BoatBetty
#21 Posted : 24 December 2020 17:33:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I found the chainwales hard because the wire was quite brittle!

Still, they are done and it's time to move on to the beakhead!
BoatBetty
#22 Posted : 21 August 2021 21:02:44

The sad reality has now set in that if I finish my model, I will not have enough space in my small flat to keep it (especially with a cat and budgie around!).

Moreover, I also bought the Soleil Royale, Vasa and Sovereign of the Seas to build and therefore I am going to need one hell of a bigger property in future!

Managed to finish the beakhead though. I decided to use thin strips of wood to make the two doors. It's now time to start attaching all the port hole covers that I put off doing earlier in the build because I wanted to buy some thicker thread to use than that which was supplied with the kit.

Presumably many people who finish their builds then display their ships in a case of some sorts, to keep the dust off if nothing else - is there a go to place to buy a display case?

BoatBetty attached the following image(s):
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
tom.ganc
#23 Posted : 20 November 2021 19:01:29

Looking great. Are you gearing up to start rigging?

I can't wait with mine ;)

Regards
Tom
BoatBetty2022
#24 Posted : 07 August 2022 11:53:10

I have encountered a problem with a bent mizzen mast that is spoiling the look of my ship.

To clarify - I have had at least a year away from doing anything on the ship but have just taken it up again - determined to finish it. I am on the shrouds at the moment but have discovered that the top third of my previously constructed mizzen mast is bent. Looking at it I figure that the holes on the cross tree and mast cap did not align and I missed this when putting it together.

So my question....is there a way for me to correct this without trying to buy a replacement mizzen mast stage and completely redoing it?

Taking into consideration the following....
- I am not great at woodwork, the fact I have got this far is amazing
- I have had no luck in trying to cut out the top dowel from the cross tree or mast cap, probably due to excessive use of wood glue!
- I have been trying without success over the past month to secure a replacement stage for another part of the ship from the company and have had no success (which is really disappointing as I have purchased four large ship models from them in total!)

Photo attached to show how it currently looks and how it is messing with my OCD!
BoatBetty2022 attached the following image(s):
V1.JPG
W.jpg
z8000783
#25 Posted : 07 August 2022 12:34:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

It looks like the mast is not in place yet and so can be removed.
Obviously it's painted as well but have you tried warm water on the wood glue.

It is amazingly strong when dry but falls apart easily when wet.

CaptnBirdseye
#26 Posted : 07 August 2022 13:16:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Betty
I would say do as John suggests using warm water and maybe a hairdrier to loosen the joint. Providing you have only used wood glue, should come apart if you are patient.
BoatBetty2022
#27 Posted : 07 August 2022 13:26:31

I shall give warm water a go and keep you posted!
BoatBetty2022
#28 Posted : 07 August 2022 14:56:26

Well I tried warm water and a hairdryer but didn't seem to be doing much...so I lost patience and poured some boiling water over the joint...the joint loosened in a matter of seconds!

I am most grateful for the help suggested - it has saved me from giving up building again for a few months!

Happy days BigGrin
Gandale
#29 Posted : 07 August 2022 18:22:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, I've just sent you a PM regarding your old BoatBetty account.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
BoatBetty
#30 Posted : 10 August 2022 09:44:25

Oh what fresh hell is this?! 'Securing the shrouds' should come with a health warning! Anyone else find it hard to thread the thread through the deadeyes or have any tips....using diluted glue to stiffen the end of the thread is really not working well 95% of the time.
In other news, I am extremely pleased with the hammocks that are now completed!
Sitting back for 5mins to appreciate what I have done, I am actually super pleased with the build so far, despite the odd flaw and given I have no background at all in wood work. I've been quoted £1800 for a perspex display case and now I'm actually thinking that if I can produce this ship, then surely I can build my own case....
File Attachment(s):
V2.jpg (313kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
V3.jpg (279kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
V4.jpg (560kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
z8000783
#31 Posted : 10 August 2022 09:48:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Have you redrilled the hole in the deadeyes?

They get filled with crud and were not always properly drilled out in the place.

BoatBetty
#32 Posted : 10 August 2022 09:53:42

Getting the drill as we type! I've been at it an hour and only managed to complete one shroud so far!
goddo
#33 Posted : 10 August 2022 10:19:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi BoatBetty. I feel the pain with you about rigging your first lot of deadeyes.

My first "mastful" (I don't know if this is a nautical term, but I'll checkBigGrin BigGrin ) took me so long I got very frustrated. But, like everything else, practice makes perfect and John's advice about running a drill through the deadeyes if spot on.

I'm not sure if you have seen the attached video? Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/...v=PrImPdbLRAw&t=289s
Gandale
#34 Posted : 10 August 2022 11:22:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, try using a standard needle threader. Think you'll find things a lot easier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...2f76:g:GjEAAOSwIytgUFc-

Regards

Alan
GilShapley
#35 Posted : 10 August 2022 11:48:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

My goto tool for rigging.

Saved me a lot of time and frustration. It is far easier to pull the thread through the blocks then try to thread them. The only thing I would add is to ensure the holes are clear.

Gil

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
BoatBetty
#36 Posted : 10 August 2022 21:14:52

I've done it! It took all day but the shrouds have now all been threaded, just got to tension them tomorrow. Phew! The needle threader did come in handy (I picked one up in Sainsburys!) and some of the holes definitely needed drilling.

Now, does the rigging need to be completed in a specific order as in the book or can I complete the ratlines now?

Hoping I can finish this ship in the 3.5 weeks of summer holidays I have left!

Thanks to all who have given advice on how to fix my problems - much appreciated.
V5.JPG
BoatBetty
#37 Posted : 19 August 2022 19:48:15

So, update, finally started the rigging and managed to put up half of the first sail...however, been stopped by a lack of belaying pins to put on the rack at the bottom of the main mast (and none left in any of the stage packs that I have)! Whilst waiting for some to arrive from Cornwall Model Boats, I think I might attempt some ratlines.

On another (disastrous!) note the bar on my admiral's lantern has snapped. I have stuck the two pieces back together again with super glue, however, the weight of the lantern itself means the bar will not hold the weight without being a constant break risk. The only way past this that I can think of, is to wrap thin brass wire around the length of the bar and over the break to add some strength, unless anyone can suggest anything better?
V6.JPG
BoatBetty
#38 Posted : 23 August 2022 15:09:26

And the build moves on.....I am aware that I only have 2weeks summer holiday left before I go back to teach and time to work on the ship disappears completely until the October half term!

So, I am ploughing on with the rigging...now have the first two masts attached and feeling as if I could take up a job as a surgeon LOL oh, to have small hands that can get into small places!

As you can see, I have started the ratlines as well, which is my job whilst I've got the TV on in the background.

Onwards and upwards! (PS the admiral's lantern is still broken and I'm having a hard time trying to fix it!)

V7.JPG
V8.JPG
V9.JPG
delboy271155
#39 Posted : 23 August 2022 16:32:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

BoatBetty wrote:

Onwards and upwards! (PS the admiral's lantern is still broken and I'm having a hard time trying to fix it!)

Hi Boat Betty, BigGrin

Looking good.Cool Cool Cool

Which issue is the "Admirals Lantern" supplied in?

I have a few extra issues which may help or it will give me an idea of any possible fix.

The other option if I don`t have a spare is good old EBAY.

Put any of these numbers into an ebay search and you may be lucky:

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

BoatBetty
#40 Posted : 23 August 2022 17:56:48

Hi Derek

The lantern came with stage 80 - literally the metal pole that is attached to the lantern has snapped just before the curve.

I'll have a look on ebay... in the meantime.

Rachel