Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog. Options
mwstratton
#1 Posted : 25 January 2019 06:38:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

My normal genre is Tall Ship but have not done any modeling for 22 years. I have started my Soleil Royal build and am waiting for the second installment.

I decided to pick up this kit at the local hobby shop to fill the wait time. Figure it is a cheaper way to relearn my skills and maybe avoid costly screw ups on the SR.

So I started this build by washing the manufacturing residue from the molded parts. next, I removed and painted the cockpit parts.

I painted the inside of the fuselage halves from the nose to behind the cockpit since this area is visible from the front landing gear well. I also super-glued a washer inside the nose to add balance as this model is a bit tail heavy.

Assembly of the cockpit is next, followed by installing it between the fuselage halves and cementing them together. Use clamps to hold these parts tight until the glue dries completely. this session ended by masking along both sides of the fuselage seam and using filler to disappear the crack between them.

Time to clear the bench and switch back to the SR.

Thanks for checking in,
Mark
mwstratton attached the following image(s):
Warthog 1.jpg
Warthog 2.jpg
Warthog 3.jpg
Warthog 4.jpg
Warthog 5.jpg
Warthog 6.jpg
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 25 January 2019 09:09:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, great way to fill the time while waiting.ThumpUp

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 25 January 2019 13:20:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Mark, and should keep you busy when you have downtime on the SR BigGrin

Regards
Gray
mwstratton
#4 Posted : 26 January 2019 10:43:21

This session will start by finishing filling and sanding the seams of the fuselage.

I then removed, cleaned up and painted the parts to the engine assembly and then glued them up.

Finishing this session off with the installation of the engines.

As you can tell by my photos, I am a firm believer in the use of clamps during assembly.

Next time I'll move on to the wings.

Thanks of stopping by.

Mark
Warthog 7.jpg
Warthog 8.jpg
Warthog 10.jpg
Warthog 11.jpg
Warthog 12.jpg
Warthog 13.jpg
Warthog 14.jpg
Warthog 15.jpg
Warthog 9.jpg

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

Spal
#5 Posted : 26 January 2019 12:39:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely,will be watching this come together.

Al
mwstratton
#6 Posted : 27 January 2019 08:47:21

Tonight we are going to do the wing and tail assemblies. Started out by cutting the 2 wing halves, the flaps, wheel well and 2 small parts from the sprues. The parts are cleaned of flashing. the 2 wing halves are cemented and clamped.

The small cover is attached to the wheel well.

This kit has the flaps displayed fully open. I wanted to build the plane with closed flaps so I modified them by cutting the top and bottom half of the flaps apart. I then cemented the top half to the top edge of the wing and the bottom half of the flaps to the bottom edge of the wing.

The lower wheel well is cemented to the underside of the wing. Next the wind foil is attached to the leading edge of the wing. This process is repeated for the other wing.

The four pieces of the right tail assembly are cut off and cleaned. The parts are cemented together to form the tail. Repeat for the other side.

Time to get the various sub assemblies ready for paint and final assembly.

Thanks for following my build

Mark
Warthog 16.jpg
Warthog 17.jpg
Warthog 18.jpg
Warthog 19.jpg
Warthog 20.jpg
Warthog 21.jpg
Warthog 23.jpg
Warthog 22.jpg

Under the Bench:

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 27 January 2019 11:11:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on very nicely Mark

Mark
mwstratton
#8 Posted : 27 January 2019 16:13:03

Thanks Mark.

Mark

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#9 Posted : 27 January 2019 17:04:16

Can someone tell me how to make attached photos appear between sections of text instead of at the end of the post? I have searched forums and can not find the answer.

Under the Bench:

Gandale
#10 Posted : 27 January 2019 20:28:25

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Progressing very nicely Mark, all looking good....Cool Cool ..

As for the pics question, you cannot have text in between images using the forum's own upload facility.

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#11 Posted : 27 January 2019 21:54:36

Thanks Alan, I've seen some posts with images embedded. That's what prompted the question.

Under the Bench:

Spal
#12 Posted : 27 January 2019 22:04:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great updateBigGrin you seem to be enjoying the build.

Al
mwstratton
#13 Posted : 29 January 2019 02:52:56

Tonight I mounted the weapons racks to the underside of the wings and glued the wings and tailplanes to the fuselage. Next, I masked off the aircraft and shot it with a couple coats of primer.

The next update will be landing gear.

Thanks for watching
Mark
Warthog 24.jpg
Warthog 25.jpg
Warthog 26.jpg

Under the Bench:

Tomick
#14 Posted : 29 January 2019 08:46:55

Groups:

Looking good, one of my fav unusual aircraft
mwstratton
#15 Posted : 29 January 2019 11:47:12

This build is about to be wrapped up. All that is left is to shoot with final coat of paint, installing the landing gear and canopy and the weapons systems.

I have never been a huge fan of plastic kits but the quality of the parts and the resin used is MUCH nicer than the kits available back in the day.

This build has done it's job in that it has served as a 'skills' refresher.

Thanks for following my first plastic model in many many years.

Mark
Warthog 27.jpg
Warthog 28.jpg

Under the Bench:

Spal
#16 Posted : 29 January 2019 12:06:14

Looking great and in 1/48 scale its a fair size tooBigGrin

Al
CaptnBirdseye
#17 Posted : 29 January 2019 13:10:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks good- can’t wait to see her in her final coat ThumpUp
Kev the Modeller
#18 Posted : 29 January 2019 20:07:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work Mark, should look fab when the top coat goes on and I too love the Warthog. They look cool in flight, make a great sound with their twin turbofans, carry an awesome weapon beneath the nose and boy can they take some punishment too!

You should build some more aircraft kits Mark, it'd be great to have another aviation modeller on the forum. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
mwstratton
#19 Posted : 29 January 2019 20:43:27

Thanks kev. I may do more aircraft done the line. I have a passion for wood models but i have to admit, it is quite fun to see how much detail you can get out of the newer plastic kits. Even straight out of box.

Mark

Under the Bench:

Kev the Modeller
#20 Posted : 29 January 2019 20:49:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

mwstratton wrote:
Thanks kev. I may do more aircraft done the line. I have a passion for wood models but i have to admit, it is quite fun to see how much detail you can get out of the newer plastic kits. Even straight out of box.

Mark

That's good to hear Mark, I'll look forward to maybe seeing more aircraft from you. Yes, today's kits are amazing even straight out of the box as you say, certainly moved on from the basic old kits of 20-30 years ago with their raised panel lines and barely furnished cockpits!

Well done again, nice work. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra