Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Falcon LEDs with power supply issue Options
cabrat
#1 Posted : 31 January 2019 19:53:22

Groups: Registered

I bought the official power supply for the Falcon, with the idea that I could leave the LEDs on for some time as a feature in the room. However, after a few hours of this, when I turned them on the following day the rear engine lights and the front spots were very dim. The ramp and cockpit lights were fine.

I got hold of a replacement MCU, fitted this, and everything was fine again, until the same thing happened again. I have now replaced the MCU board again, and all is good.

Question is, is the MCU a bit rubbish, and not capable of running the lights over an extended period, or could there be another problem?

Cheers!
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 01 February 2019 19:09:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

It depends on how long you were keeping them on for, or whether you have any additional lighting attached beyond the build specifications. The msu is probably not designed for use as ambient lighting for a length of time. In normal use I have seen no issues. If you wish to use the engine lighting for some considerable time, you may think about using a separate board that will allow it to be displayed as a lighting effect on a permanent basis.

Regards
Mark
S4Simon
#3 Posted : 02 February 2019 04:19:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The MCU is a discrete component, just a computer, ones and zeroes. That is, it will work or it won’t. The dimming of lights would be associated with the output from the power pack decreasing as the heat inside the power pack heats up.

Maybe try and source a power pack with a slightly higher current output.

I run an extra 12 leds on my Falcon, all wired into the mcu combined with a 1700mA 15.3 watt power pack output. I actually calculated the wattage/ ampage requirement according to total / type led usage. Running Falcon for two consecutive 8 hour days at a model comp caused no issues.

FYI - if you add more leds and suck more power thru the mcu, this can, over time, cause the mcu to fail, as it is designed to a spec. It’s a bit like modifying an engine to squeeze more horsepower out. Yes it can be done, but engine life will be shortened.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
cabrat
#4 Posted : 02 February 2019 18:30:22

Thanks for the replies!

I don’t have any additional lights running off it.

If the power supply was getting overheated, wouldn’t leaving everything off for a while correct the problem? If so, it didn’t. It basically created a permanent issue. Only replacing the MCU corrected it.

Saying that, would be interested in trying a different power supply. Can you recommend one with said higher current output?
S4Simon
#5 Posted : 03 February 2019 03:18:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is what i’m Using. Ebay purchase.
File Attachment(s):
774F2725-7DA1-4E51-916F-61F9CD0F8D11.jpeg (841kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
cabrat
#6 Posted : 13 February 2019 22:52:01

Great advice. Thanks. Problem solved by ordering and now using a 9v switching power supply with 1200mA output as compared to the official supply's 1000mA. Works a treat.