Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wooden deck area edging Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:35:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

After looking at Mr T,s latest instalment on the official build [and this is not a critisism of that build but my interpretation on how i will do mine] something didnt seem right about the edging strip used around the planked area. After checking in the book Anatomy of the ship Yamato [pg162] it would seem the the wooden deck area edge is a shaped steel plate incorporating the railings base and water chanel to the scuppers[ see diagram]there is also a wooden chaneling to some parts of the wooden deck but not everywhere along it.
The discrepency could arise because in parts of the drawings in the book make the waterway to the deck scuppers look like a wooden edging to the wooden deck area[ note this raised/shaped steel plate edge does not appear on the forward /rear metaled areas only along the sides of the wooden decked area].
My solution to the above [see sketch] will be to add a wooden strip to the hull edges, like Mr T,s but to the edge and add a plastic strip on top where the railings are fitted, thus leaving the water chanel and wooden chaneling to be added [where fitted].
As i have said above this is my interpretation based upon the information to hand and is not a crytism of anybody elses work official or not.
Andy
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
PA160076.jpg
PA160078.jpg
PA160081.jpg
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#2 Posted : 17 October 2011 11:31:38

Groups:

You are correct in terms of the anatomy drawing, my effort is a simple represntation to improve on what the magazine shows as the decking being right up to the hull edge which is totally incorrect, and its good to hear that your taking it the whole hog.
I might add that the scuppers are not part of the instructions/kit so its great that you plan to add this detail.

Yamato does have a deck border plank which borders the entire deck span, there is also a plank border around such as the three main turrets if you choose to take it that far.
The border plank can be seen in the images below which are of the 1/10 scale Kure museum Yamato, which is regarded as being the most accurate representation of Yamato and is a great help to you get your model as good as you can.

You'll also find the Kure Musuem images of Yamato in this link very useful

http://www.geocities.jp/...omuseum/yamatomuseum.htm
Tomick attached the following image(s):
Y1.JPG
Y2.JPG
Y3.JPG
Y4.JPG
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 17 October 2011 18:40:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Thanks Mr T
For the clarification and yes it seems i now must add the deck edge and turret edging to my build aswell as my proposed solution, but hey its more work but will look more like the real thing as the information we have shows. I just wish the japanese wernt so compleatly dedicated in destroying all the documentaion just after the surrender.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#4 Posted : 17 October 2011 18:47:13

Groups:

LOL