Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
L'Hermmione La Fayette Options
mwstratton
#1 Posted : 20 February 2019 09:46:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Step 1

Remove Parts 1 thru 15 and carefully clean up the edges with a fine grit sandpaper and needle file.

Lay the false keel (#1 a and 1b) on a flat surface and test fit together. When satisfied with the fit, glue them together.

Fit the keel stiffeners ( #2) to each side of the joint in the false keel keeping the frame slots clear. Glue and clamp them, set aside to dry.

Starting at the bow, test fit frames (#3-12) into the false keel. Once you are satisfied, glue the frames in place making sure to keep the frames perpendicular to the false keel. I use medium sized binder clips to hold things square.

Next Fit and glue the Mast bases for the foremast and the mainmast (#14 x 2) in the slots on the false keel between frames 4 and 5 and next to frame 9.

Attach the deck beams (#13 x 2)to the forward side of frame 9.

This completes step 1.

Thanks for looking in...
Mark

mwstratton attached the following image(s):
Step 1-1.jpg
Step 1-2.jpg
Step 1-3.jpg
Step 1-4.jpg
Step 1-5.jpg
Step 1-6.jpg
Step 1-7.jpg
Step 1-8.jpg
Step 1-9.jpg
Step 1-10.jpg
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
Gandale
#2 Posted : 20 February 2019 12:49:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see another L'Hermione build appearing on the forum and this one I'll be following closely... Looks like you're off to a great start and am sure you'll love the build as much as I do.....Cool Cool ..

You may not be aware but there is a very nice figure set for this build and may be worth taking a look... I have it and will be adding it to my build....Cool Cool

https://www.model-space....tte-crew-figurines.html

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#3 Posted : 20 February 2019 15:12:46

Gandale wrote:
Great to see another L'Hermione build appearing on the forum and this one I'll be following closely... Looks like you're off to a great start and am sure you'll love the build as much as I do.....Cool Cool ..

You may not be aware but there is a very nice figure set for this build and may be worth taking a look... I have it and will be adding it to my build....Cool Cool

https://www.model-space....tte-crew-figurines.html

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan. I have seen the figures and will probably get them at some point. I am following your build closely too. It's a great example of a clean job.

Mark

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

daffy09
#4 Posted : 20 February 2019 16:24:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark
Like Alan says, its good to see another 'Hermione' being built.
I haven't touched my build for many a month now, but seeing Alan's great work so far and now yours seems to have given me a gentle nudge to get started again.
I look forward to seeing more of your work as she progresses. Well done!
Happy building
David
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 20 February 2019 16:50:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start on her and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mwstratton
#6 Posted : 20 February 2019 19:08:52

daffy09 wrote:
Hi Mark
Like Alan says, its good to see another 'Hermione' being built.
I haven't touched my build for many a month now, but seeing Alan's great work so far and now yours seems to have given me a gentle nudge to get started again.
I look forward to seeing more of your work as she progresses. Well done!
Happy building
David

Go ahead David, get back on it. It would be nice to see another active build.

Mark

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#7 Posted : 22 February 2019 01:41:40

Step 2

Well, I am about 4 steps behind on my my build log so I finally tore myself away from the bench to catch up.

I'm gonna blast the next few steps out in rapid succession so hold on to your hats.....

Locate part 16, lower deck half (x2) and clean up the edges and gently smooth the surface.

Starting at the center edge of one of the deck halves, place the 0.5mm x 4mm veneer strips edge to edge, covering the entire deck surface, making sure they are firmly adhered. Set this aside to dry completely. Repeat on the other part 16.

When dry, turn the deck sections over and trim strips from the edges with a sharp craft knife (pic 1).

Gently sand the edges and deck surface. Use a needle file to clean up the notches. then apply 2 or 3 coats of clear matte acrylic sealer.

Using a sharp pencil, draw the butt joint lines on the planks according to the measurements in the instructions, then apply 2 or 3 coats of clear matte acrylic sealer. (Pic 2). Allow to dry.

Spread PVA glue across the deck beams and in the notches on the sides of the deck parts and down the center edge of one side. Align the notches on each side with the frame uprights and lower the deck halves to the beams fitting the inside edges together (Pics 3 & 4). Clamp and/or clamp the deck in place and leave to dry.

Step 2 complete.

Onward
Mark
Step 2-1.jpg
Step 2-2.jpg
Step 2-3.jpg
Step 2-4.jpg

Under the Bench:

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 22 February 2019 06:07:44

BigGrin Nice to see the decks going on The planking is not far offCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mwstratton
#9 Posted : 22 February 2019 06:56:48

Step 3

Locate and remove parts 18 thru 24 from the frets and clean up the edges (Pic 1).

I fit the bulkhead (Part 18) to the slots on the lower deck and frame 6, making sure it is at 90% to the deck (Pic 2).

Then the bow supports (Part 19 x 2) are fitted and glued to the slots in frames 3 thru 6 on both the port and starboard sides (Pic 3). Likewise the stern supports (Part 20 x 2) are attached to frames 9 thru 12 on both sides (Pic 4).

Glue the 2 bow stiffeners (Part 21 x 2) to both sides of the bow of the false keel (Pic 5).

The Transom supports (Parts 22, 23 and 24) are fitted to the slots in the stern of the false keel and frame 12 from the bottom up (Pics 6, 7 and 8).

Locate parts 25 thru 32 and smooth the edges (Pic 9).

From the underside of the hull, glue the 2 supports (Part 25) in place between parts 23 and 24 (Pics 10, 11 and 12). Add the stiffeners (Part 26 x 2) to the bottom of support 24 on each side (Pic 14).

Fit the transom (Part 27) to the false keel and support 24 (Pic 14). Then I placed the 2 transom upright supports (Part 28 x 2)on both sides of part 27 (Pic 15).

Take 2 part 29 and 2 part 30 together to form 2 sides of the stern gallery. Attach these assemblies to the lateral slots in part 24 (Pic 17).

The 2 stiffeners (Part 31) are attached to the top of part 23 on each side (Pic 18).

The right angles of the stern stiffeners (Part 32 x 2) are butted up against the rear of frame 12 and bottom of support 22 on each side of the false keel (Pic 19).

This completes step 3.

Thanks for looking in.
Mark
Step 3-1.jpg
Step 3-2.jpg
Step 3-3.jpg
Step 3-4.jpg
Step 3-5.jpg
Step 3-6.jpg
Step 3-7.jpg
Step 3-8.jpg
Step 3-9.jpg
Step 3-10.jpg
Step 3-11.jpg
Step 3-12.jpg
Step 3-13.jpg
Step 3-14.jpg
Step 3-15.jpg
Step 3-16.jpg
Step 3-17.jpg
Step 3-18.jpg
Step 3-19.jpg

Under the Bench:

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 22 February 2019 08:44:03

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on great Mark, looking excellent.ThumpUp

Mark
mwstratton
#11 Posted : 22 February 2019 12:17:12

Step 4

So this step is quite simple as far as the log is concerned. At the bench, not so much. It's all about the fairing process.

Fairing the frame is very important to the rest of the build. Get it right and planking goes well. I won't go into detail on the process. Detailed instructions on how to 'fair' is available elsewhere on the forums.

See y'all soon
Mark
Step 4-1.jpg
Step 4-2.jpg

Under the Bench:

ian smith
#12 Posted : 22 February 2019 12:29:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely Mark. look forward to seeing your progress. Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
daffy09
#13 Posted : 22 February 2019 13:03:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark,
Steaming ahead with her now. Good work!
Happy building
David
mwstratton
#14 Posted : 22 February 2019 15:24:37

Step 5

Step 5 is all about planking the upper hull. I started by carefully measuring and marking the frame ribs to locate the top edge of the first plank to be installed. I put several of the 2 x 5 x 300mm birch planks to soak then bent them to follow the curve of the bow. Starting at the bow, I fit the first plank in line with the marks just made, ending in the center of frame 9 (Pic 1). This procedure is repeat on the opposite side. I made sure to leave a 4mm gap along the front edge of the false keel (Pic 2).

I continued the first course of planking from the center of frame 9 to the curve on the front of part 26 keeping the top edge in line with the marks made on the ribs (Pic 3). I repeated this on the other side. Next I fitted the next row of planking above the first one at the bow keeping the forward edge in line with the edge of the false keel ending in the center of frame 8 this time. The row is continued aft of frame 8 to beyond the stern of the ship, slipping the planks behind the side gallery assemblies.

To attach the planks, I ran a bead of PVA glue to the top edge of the previous row between the frames and a spot of CA glue on the ribs to provide an instant hold. Clamps were used to hold the planks together till the PVA dried.

Next I dry fitted the upper decks to the frames and secured them with masking tape. This helps to achieve the proper shape of the planking.

I continued adding rows of planks toward the top of the hull (Pic 4).

The very top row of planking at the bow stops at the deck level forward of frame 3. Between frame 3 and frame 7, I stopped planking at the tops of the frames. Stopped the planking between frame 7 and 9 at deck level. Planking continued up to the top of frames 9 to 12 and the transom (Pic 5).

Using a sanding block the top edge of planking was smoothed flush with the frame tops (Pic 6).

After the glue has dried completely, the planks at the stern were trimmed and sanded smooth (Pic 7).

As you can clearly see in Pic 8, the planking did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. Going forward, I need to slow down and use more care in the planking process. Oh well, nothing a bit of filler and a lot of sanding cant fix.

Step 5 is done and my build log is caught up to date.

Stop by later to see how the sanding turns out.
Mark

Step 5-1.jpg
Step 5-2.jpg
Step 5-3.jpg
Step 5-4.jpg
Step 5-5.jpg
Step 5-6.jpg
Step 5-7.jpg
Step 5-8.jpg

Under the Bench:

Markwarren
#15 Posted : 22 February 2019 20:49:38

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow you are certainly cracking on with this.

Mark
mwstratton
#16 Posted : 22 February 2019 21:29:40

Markwarren wrote:
Wow you are certainly cracking on with this.

Mark

LOL When I sit down at the work bench, I can't seem to get up. Guess it's the retired version of a workaholic.

Under the Bench:

Gandale
#17 Posted : 22 February 2019 23:36:02

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good steady progress Mark, coming long nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#18 Posted : 23 February 2019 00:01:35

Step 6

Using a sanding block and 120 grit sandpaper, I sanded the top of the upper row of planks smooth and to the height of the various rib uprights.

This basically finishes step 6. Since I have the sandpaper in hand I will continue on with the first part of step 7.

I don't know if it was the complex curves of this hull or me being too careless but there is A LOT of sanding to do. I used 120 grit sandpaper to knock down the ridges. The inboard bulwarks were sanded using 100 grit emery boards.

Next I filled the gaps with wood filler. The only area that needed significant filler was the inside bulwarks between frame 7 and 9. After that more sanding. Once I was satisfied that the gaps were well filled, I gave her a final pass of 220 grit paper.

Boy does my hand need a break.
Mark
Step 6-1.jpg
Step 6-2.jpg
Step 6-3.jpg
Step 6-4.jpg
Step 6-5.jpg
Step 6-6.jpg

Under the Bench:

arpurchase
#19 Posted : 23 February 2019 08:21:17

BigGrin Planking always looks rougher than a bears LOL LOL LOL untill sanded back and then it takes on a new life.

You could also try tapering the edge of the plank that is to be glued a little to get a better fit.

You could also try adding wood glue to some of the gaps when you sand back the sawdust will stick in the holes with glue in them and become a filler that matches the colour of the surounding wood.Cool

mwstratton
#20 Posted : 23 February 2019 14:29:06

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Planking always looks rougher than a bears LOL LOL LOL untill sanded back and then it takes on a new life.

You could also try tapering the edge of the plank that is to be glued a little to get a better fit.

You could also try adding wood glue to some of the gaps when you sand back the sawdust will stick in the holes with glue in them and become a filler that matches the colour of the surounding wood.Cool

Thanks for the tips. It's funny to me that the bow and stern planking so far came out well but the midship area was rough.

Under the Bench: