Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
L'Hermmione La Fayette Options
mwstratton
#21 Posted : 24 February 2019 10:07:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Step 7

First off I used a sharp craft knife to cut out the paper templates for the Port and Starboard gun ports. These were taped to the sides of the hull with the bottom edge in line with the top edge of the lowermost plank and the rib marks centered on the respective ribs.

Next the gun ports were traced onto the hull with a sharp pencil. I removed the templates and drilled a hole in the center of each gun port location. Using a sharp craft knife, the ports were enlarged to just inside the outlines. Next I used a flat needle file to smooth the openings and expand the ports to the outline (Pic 1).

I went ahead and completed Step 8 now. This basically was just painting the bow and stern supports (parts 19 and 20) behind the new gun ports black. The adjacent frames were also painted black (Pic 2).

That is all for tonight.
Mark
mwstratton attached the following image(s):
Step 7-1.jpg
Step 7-2.jpg
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
Markwarren
#22 Posted : 24 February 2019 11:23:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Mark, looking really good.ThumpUp

Mark
Gandale
#23 Posted : 24 February 2019 12:04:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making very nice progress Mark, all looks good....Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#24 Posted : 24 February 2019 13:39:52

Thanks for keeping an eye on it

Mark

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

magpie1832
#25 Posted : 25 February 2019 00:21:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Mark. Coming along a treat.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

mwstratton
#26 Posted : 25 February 2019 23:49:06

Step 9

Located the Transom (part 34) and sanded the edges and surface. Before attaching the transom to the stern of the ship, I traced a window template for use in a later step (pic 1). I then glued the transom in place on the stern (Pic 2).

Using the 5 x 2mm planks, I covered the lower area of the aftercastle (Pic 3 and 4). The first plank needs to be shaped to match the curve of the transom.

Now on to more planking. LOL

Mark
Step 9.1.jpg
Step 9.2.jpg

Under the Bench:

Gandale
#27 Posted : 26 February 2019 00:22:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Mark, good luck with the planking....Cool Cool .. Will be watching for your next update....

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#28 Posted : 26 February 2019 04:18:32

Step 10a

Step 10 deals with finishing the planking of the lower hull. I'm going to split this step into sections for the log purpose. I start off by fitting 2 planks below the last row from before (Pics 1 & 2).

The next 2 rows of planking needed to be tapered to a width of 2mm at the bow and to a point at the stern (Pics 3 & 4). The next plank is tapered to 2mm at the bow and left whole at the stern. It is twisted around to lay flush with the aftercastle planking (Pics 5 & 6).

In the next update I will finish the planking.

By the way, the instructions warn you to be careful not to break the stern transom during the planking. Well guess what I did. Yup, I BROKE THE TRANSOM! Luckily, it glued back fairly easily.

Peace
Mark
Step 10.1.jpg
Step 10.2.jpg
Step 10.3.jpg
Mishap.jpg

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#29 Posted : 26 February 2019 05:59:08

Step 10 b

First thing I did was to fit and attach the garboard planks on either side of the false keel, leaving a 2mm overhang all around (Pic 7). The way that I approached this complex twist was to soak the planks until they were good and pliable then using CA glue and clamps to hold the twist while the glue dried.

Next, I added 4 more rows of planks from the garboard toward the deck. Again, leaving a 2mm overhang (Pic 8, 9 and 10). As you can see in pic 9, the planks at the stern fan out leaving wedge shaped gaps between each row.

I will finish the hull planking in the next session

Mark
Step 10.5.jpg

Under the Bench:

Markwarren
#30 Posted : 26 February 2019 08:58:09

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Mark, coming on very nicely.

Mark
mwstratton
#31 Posted : 27 February 2019 04:28:52

Step 10 c

So I have finished planking the hull (Pic 11 & 12). Not the neatest job I've seen. Especially had trouble with the lower part of the stern (Pic 13). I need to invest in an electric plank bender. Didn't get the results I wanted with soaking and nippers.

Looks like I'll be doing a lot of sanding and filling.

I'll be back
Mark
Step 10.6.jpg
Step 10.7.jpg
Step 10.8.jpg

Under the Bench:

Gandale
#32 Posted : 27 February 2019 10:05:18

Good to see another update Mark. She's not the easiest hull to plank with all the subtle twists and bends that need to be applied and its good to see you have the hull covered. You are going to have a lot of sanding and filling to do so prepare your sanding arm well....BigGrin BigGrin .. The smoother you can make the hull the better the paint finish will be.... Look forward to seeing your next update....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#33 Posted : 04 March 2019 09:55:52

Steps 11 and 12

Step 11 consisted of a lot of sanding and filling. Enough said.

In step 12 I first fitted and glued the bow stem (part 35A) in place, followed by the keel (Parts 36A, B and C). The stern post (Part 35B) was the Final part of this step.

Mark
Step 11.1.jpg
Step 11.2.jpg
Step 11.3.jpg
Step 11.4.jpg
Step 12.1.jpg
Step 12.2.jpg

Under the Bench:

Gandale
#34 Posted : 04 March 2019 11:32:57

Making good progress Mark, well done...Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
daffy09
#35 Posted : 04 March 2019 16:28:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Mark,you're making good progress with 'her'.
The work on planking of the hull is not the easiest to achieve and (in my opinion) it takes some courage to show the build honestly as you have done.
You are not alone in the breaking of the transom board - I too did the same thing at that stage of the build, but in my embarrassment, I omitted to mention it in my log. It was easily fixed however, and I'm sure that all evidence will be covered up as progression is made on the hull.
Like you, I've got a lot of filling and sanding to do but most of it was a result of my 'heavy-handedness' with the primary sanding, ending up with lots of indentations in the contours which needed filling up.
Look forward to seeing more of the build as you progress.
Happy building
David
mwstratton
#36 Posted : 04 March 2019 18:29:37

Thanks for the kind words Alan and David. She does have a challenging hull but it is almost ready for final paint.

Mark

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#37 Posted : 04 March 2019 19:40:23

Step 13 and 14

These 2 steps go together. First I did the final filling and sanding the hull.

Then the deck and outside surface of the stern are masked, The gun ports are also masked from the inside. I thin coat of primer was applied and any defects were re filled and sanded before a final primer cat was applied.

Thanks for following my build
Mark
Step 13.jpg

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#38 Posted : 05 March 2019 03:01:57

I forgot to mention that I painted the hull with Vallerjo Aged White.
Step 14.jpg

Under the Bench:

arpurchase
#39 Posted : 05 March 2019 06:33:51

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mwstratton
#40 Posted : 06 March 2019 05:18:14

Step 15

Step 15 consisted of masking the ship and painting the various stripes on her.

First I masked off and painted the yellow stripe along the gun ports. I used 3 coats of paint to obtain complete coverage.

Next I added the blue stripe along the top of the hull.

Finally I masked and painted the black stripe referring to the measurements in the instructions to get the water line correctly positioned.

I used Vallerjo Air paints in the following colors:

Aged White
French Blue
Medium Yellow
Black

Moving on...
Mark
Step 15.1.jpg
Step 15.2.jpg
Step 15.3.jpg

Under the Bench: