Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages <12345>»
Hachette 1:200 Battleship Bismarck re-release Options
bluedot0
#41 Posted : 23 May 2019 12:20:17

Groups: Registered

It's certainly is looking easier, pre-painted as well, I have the original offering 3/4 built, I'd be very tempted if it became available here in Australia
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

Building - Bismarck, Akagi, Warspite, Gato, USS Enterprise (carrier) and D51
CaptnBirdseye
#42 Posted : 27 June 2019 20:36:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi guys, just a small update. I’ve been collecting issues while I decide whether make a small upgrade to add the bow and stern ‘swastika’ decals, or not. The best ones I can find are from an Australian supplier, so I have sent for a pack. I will make the decision once they arrive. I can’t build any further until I make the decision, as I will need to paint the deck area red.
Any thoughts on the correct colour red for this ‘swastika’ background, anyone?

Here is a link to show what I mean:
https://www.kbismarck.com/drawings.html
birdaj2
#43 Posted : 28 June 2019 17:06:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

[quote=CaptnBirdseye]BigGrin Hi guys, just a small update. I’ve been collecting issues while I decide whether make a small upgrade to add the bow and stern ‘swastika’ decals, or not. The best ones I can find are from an Australian supplier, so I have sent for a pack. I will make the decision once they arrive. I can’t build any further until I make the decision, as I will need to paint the deck area red.
Any thoughts on the correct colour red for this ‘swastika’ background, anyone?

Here is a link to show what I mean:
https://www.kbismarck.com/drawings.html[/quote]

The red used on the flag of that period is known as "Electric Red". It carries the following spec:

Name: Electric Red
Hex: #DE0000
RGB: (222, 0, 0)
CMYK: 0, 1, 1, 0.129

I was hoping a site i use would convert the RGB to FS but it says there is no close match.

Using the HEX ref again gives no direct conversion but does give you some colour swatches that you could match againt your preferred paint brands colour charts.

https://encycolorpedia.com/de0000

I have compared the on screen hex with my fs colours chart and come up with what appears to be a good match.

Comparing this colour swatch to humbrol , and this is never 100% accurate as colours do not always ring true on the screen i am of the opinion humbrol 19 bright red is a good match and possible humbrol 60 scarlet might be worh a look

At the end of the day i would suggest using something that looks right for you.

Hope this might give you a couple of pointers.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#44 Posted : 28 June 2019 17:14:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is a picture of the colur swatch

Tony
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
IMG_1852.PNG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
CaptnBirdseye
#45 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:00:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks Tony ThumpUp Got some Vallejo Model Air RML Red 71.003. That looks pretty close match to me. Will have to see what it looks like once it’s on.

Cheers Gray
birdaj2
#46 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:47:08

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
BigGrin Thanks Tony ThumpUp Got some Vallejo Model Air RML Red 71.003. That looks pretty close match to me. Will have to see what it looks like once it’s on.

Cheers Gray

Gray

Good choice. Because those deck planks stand very proud thin coats so you don't get uneven edges.

Was about to cancel my sub this week because since 12/04 when i had 3-6 nothing has been sent. Been getting weekly excuses about issue 10 out of stock then issue 9.

Looked on my account yesterday and been charged for 7-10 which apparently due to issues at the warehouse should now arrive by 05/07/19.

At the rate i have been receiving these i will probably in my late nineties before i ever finish this one LOL

Hope yours continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#47 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:49:10

Gray

I initially purchased the decal set from peddinghaus but that set is designed for the trumpeter kit so the red on the bow and stern flags does not come to the deck edges.

Some of the builders have just moved the decal and others have painted the edges.

The better set is the same as you have ordered because it misses out the red part of the flag allowing you to get a proper "fit" by painting your own.

Look gorward to seeing how you get on with this part of your build.

Tony
Happy Modelling

arpurchase
#48 Posted : 28 June 2019 20:15:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The kit is in Bismark's half Baltic paint job- ie hull painted with disruptive camo but upper works in silver grey so the deck swastika would be present on the front and rear decks.

For any one repainting the Bismark in her final guise the black and white stripes were painted over along with the false bow wave, she retained the dark grey portions at the bow and stern.

Also the swastika's were painted over with grey paint on the decks as they were too far out to sea for any German aircraft to need to use them as recognition markers. In other words they were removed to stop enemy dive bombers having aiming points on the bow and sternLOL LOL

A good place to find reference pictures if you need them is on Pintrest if you dont want to buy books on the subject.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CaptnBirdseye
#49 Posted : 02 July 2019 20:30:50

So I have received the decal set from customhobbydecals, and i think they will work well. I also ordered some of the maritime line blast bags, but can see that they will not work as they are too rigid for the working guns.

CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
birdaj2
#50 Posted : 02 July 2019 20:54:15

Graham

Moving along well now i see.

With those deck planks standing so proud it is difficult to get an even edge but sure you will be able to clean that up well.

I finally had my 7-10 turn up so looking to finally make a start on mine at the week end.

Hope it continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

CaptnBirdseye
#51 Posted : 02 July 2019 20:59:54

Issue 4:

The Two Catapults and motor test.
Pack contents: 2x catapult tracks, 8x wheels, 2x Catapult supports, Front port hull section, Connector, Circuit board, Battery box, 4x Axles, Screws.

Firstly, the connector is attached to the hull section provided and stored away safely. The wheels are then attached to the axles and fitted to the catapult track, making sure they rotate freely. The catapult support track is then fitted, noting the correct orientation. These should be able to slide freely.

Taking the battery box, fit 3x AA batteries and attach the cable into the port marked 'Power' on the circuit board. Take the gun turret from issue 2 and insert the cable into the port labelled 'Motor'on the circuit board. Slide the switch to 'On', and watch the guns recoil.

Store any unused parts in a stage labelled bag. This completes Stage 4.
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#52 Posted : 02 July 2019 21:13:01

Issue 5:

The Anchor Capstans and Anchor Chain Openings
Pack contents: Starboard hull section, Connector, Covers for anchor chain openings, 2x Capstan wheels, 2x capstan drums, 2x capstan shafts, 2x Capstan supports, 2x Anchor chain guides, Screws.

Again, the connector is attached to the supplied hull section, then stored for future use.

Attach the chain openings and chain guides to the upper deck section from issue 1, followed by the chain guides. The anchor chain openings are then glued in place. Assemble each capstan, both red and green, and glue the capstan wheel onto the shaft. Store all unused parts in a stage labelled bag. This completes Stage 5
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#53 Posted : 02 July 2019 21:23:45

Foredeck

So having decided to go ahead with the decal set, the first job was to measure the white area of the first decal. Adding a few mil, i then masked off the area for priming. I sprayed a few coats of Tamiya Surface Primer, followed by several coats of Vallejo RML23. I hope that the photos really do the colour justice, because i am very pleased with the colour Love .

However, I am less pleased with the way the primer has seeped through under the masking tape very slightly. I will wait for it to dry before attampting to remove it, or if i cant i might just need to extend the red area slightly. It's anly minor, but i know it's there Cursing

Next i will give the painted area a coat of sealer and then add the swastika.

More to follow...

IMG_1116.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#54 Posted : 02 July 2019 21:28:17

birdaj2 wrote:
Graham

Moving along well now i see.

With those deck planks standing so proud it is difficult to get an even edge but sure you will be able to clean that up well.

I finally had my 7-10 turn up so looking to finally make a start on mine at the week end.

Hope it continues well for you.

Tony

Thanks for looking in, and I hope so Tony BigGrin Sorry but i edited the earlier posts to make it flow better.
Great news on your delivery, and hope to see what you do with her ThumpUp

Cheers
Gray
Gandale
#55 Posted : 02 July 2019 22:47:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you making progress on this one again Gray, coming along very nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#56 Posted : 03 July 2019 12:58:27

BigGrin Thanks for looking in Alan. Yeah I've collected a few issues while i was deciding on whether to use the decal set. But then I've always got my wooden one to fall back on when twiddling my thumbs Laugh

Cheers
Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#57 Posted : 03 July 2019 19:55:32

Issue 6:

The Second Keel Section.
Pack contents: Second keel section, Connector for keel section, Screws.

Well this issue is short and sweet, with very little to do. Taking the earlier bow section, the second keel section is test-fitted in place.Once happy with alignment, screw the pieces together using the connector and screws provided.

Store any unused parts in a stage-labelled bag and set aside for use later on.

This completes Stage 6.
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
mogwai
#58 Posted : 03 July 2019 20:30:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi coming on well,like the red on the deck,looks good cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
CaptnBirdseye
#59 Posted : 03 July 2019 20:34:44

BigGrin Cheers Mick, it does look a good shade of red, and am very pleased with it. Fancy doing it on yours???BigGrin Flapper LOL
Markwarren
#60 Posted : 03 July 2019 22:20:11

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice Gray. The red really makes it stand out.Love

Mark