Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
steele's 2019 build Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 31 March 2019 09:11:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, colouring looks good.

Mark
steele
#22 Posted : 01 April 2019 02:37:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Subtle mod, but I added in as many "golden bits" around the carbs as I could find on the real thing---Tamiya "Titanium Gold" is a pretty close match to the color already present, and I think actually matches photos of the real thing better than what's already there--I considered repainting the existing gold bits with "titanium gold" too, but eventually just left them as-is. About a half-dozen extra bits of gold per carb added, rather hard to see due to small size and subtletly of color---but they're there!

I promised pics when I made some real progress, so here's the engine as it is now (I re-did the wires for "full accuracy"). And a close-up of the carbs, showing some of the extra golden bits.
steele attached the following image(s):
IMG_5939t.JPG
IMG_5941t.JPG
IMG_5944t.JPG
steele
#23 Posted : 15 April 2019 04:41:23

Just a small update---I am re-redoing the ignition wires, pretty closely following Dave's build here: http://forum.us.model-sp...spx?g=posts&t=17359

This pic shows the white identifier bands added near one distributor---I've done both now, and have also done most of the mini-grommets and zip-ties as well (replacing the kit's plastic rings) (will post more pics once the wiring is 100% done). Awaiting my order of more 1/16" red heat-shrink tubing (I think it is an even better match for the "additional red jacketing on the wires" than iphone cable-sleeving---but the iphone cable sleeving is absolutely perfect for the little white bands)

Have also sprayed my exhaust tips with Mr Metal Primer (which is hard to find) in preparation of decaling them.

And, I've also ordered Roy's brand-new set of decals, for the starter/coils/battery etc. They should arrive right about when the pack containing the starter arrives. :)

IMG_6003t.JPG
Markwarren
#24 Posted : 16 April 2019 08:27:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking excellent, great work.Love Love

Mark
steele
#25 Posted : 29 April 2019 00:14:00

Well, after buying/trying several things over the past couple weeks, I finally found something that worked for the "extra jacketing on the wiring"----3/64" heatshrink tubing. Both the overall diameter and thickness of the material is almost perfectly to scale, compared to the pics. Color's not exact, but it's a rare size so not many options/manufacturers. So I cut some bits to length, following the pics in the instructions as closely as possible, and now have "fully jacketed and fully banded" wiring---"in progress" and "finished jacketed wiring" pics:

IMG_6047T.JPG
IMG_6048T.JPG
steele
#26 Posted : 29 April 2019 00:23:27

And now that I finally got the wiring detailed how I liked, I could move on and finish the rest of the upper engine. Hoses are painted with Tamiya rubber, and painted their clamps silver.

I also decided that the foglight housing's re-chroming, and the Futureā„¢ coating of the foglight lenses must be rock-hard-dry by now, so installed those (they are crystal-clear now, but they are inherently "corrugated", thus the distortion of the text).

I bought roymattblack's new decal set for this kit, and have applied the first couple ones (for the starter motor) this evening.

IMG_6052T.JPG
IMG_6054T.JPG
IMG_6056T.JPG
steele
#27 Posted : 15 September 2019 17:39:22

Haven't posted in a while, but it's still going---I've taken inspiration from a few builds here, and my own research, painting up a few extra bits on the suspension etc. Used Tamiya TS-84 for the brass(?) parts, which is the most expensive spray paint I've ever bought, but it is a SMOOTH metallic (no "glitter" effect at all), and is a bit more "dull" of a yellow, which seems to match the factory color a bit better than most "gold" paints.

IMG_7023T.JPG
IMG_7086T.JPG
Markwarren
#28 Posted : 15 September 2019 21:00:02

Looking great, nice to see you posting on this again.Cool BigGrin

Mark
Gandale
#29 Posted : 15 September 2019 22:19:08

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely progress being made, great to see....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#30 Posted : 16 September 2019 07:57:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Good to see you back on this one.
Looking forward to more updates.

Roy.
darbyvet
#31 Posted : 16 September 2019 15:29:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

nice work Steele.

Carl

steele
#32 Posted : 19 September 2019 00:26:10

A question and a bit to discuss:

1. I've installed the engine, and "there's an empty hole"---little one, right between the 2 distributors, on the end of the engine. Just like the ones the small hoses plug into on the sides of the block. Went through all the old issues, don't think I missed something (and have no loose hose-ends) at the moment. I did notice that for the throttle cable/hose, it does say something like "place the end in this hole here, to keep it out of the way for now"---but I never saw it give a "final" location. Will the "mystery" hole have something put in it later, and/or should the throttle hose's "initial" location, be the final location?

2. I've read several diaries mentioning difficulties installing the engine---I've also seen a lot of pics of rear hubs that seemed slightly "skew" to my eye, like they were being forced out of alignment by something. While installing the drive shafts, and comparing to pics, and thinking about how the rear hubs have "the error" (calipers on wrong side in instructions/example model, corrected at release)----I suspected that when they "swapped" the calipers left/right, they didn't "fully/properly" swap/mirror the hubs, where both the calipers and driveshafts attach to. I "partially built up" the rear suspension several times in several ways, "skipping ahead" a bit to test fitting in the engine before the rest of the back end was finished, and came to the conclusion----the engine fits in a LOT better, if you swap the driveshafts left/right. They only angle a few degrees, but the "L with L, and R with R" combo seems to angle them in the wrong direction, if you want the transmission to be in the right place while they're plugged into it. You can make it fit, but you'll be twisting/bending the whole rear suspension to make it happen.

After installing it "for real" I feel confident/vindicated by my decision. It literally dropped in place. Screw-holes perfectly aligned. No tugging/prying at all. "Angle to the left, plug in left driveshaft, let it drop down, plug in right driveshaft, screw trans to frame, screw right suspension strut back in". With the "left" driveshaft on the right side, and vice-versa.
roymattblack
#33 Posted : 19 September 2019 08:28:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Some very interesting points here.

Straining my brain back to the one I built for someone else early this year, I do seem to remember thinking the same thing regarding the 'endless' hose. I think I did fit mine into the empty hole.

However, I don't recall any problems getting the engine to fit, or with the rear hubs.
I do remember that the final floor/chassis/engine unit was extremely easy to pair up with the upper body.
In fact, it was probably the easiest 'final assembly' I've ever done when building these large cars.

Roy.
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 20 September 2019 17:56:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Steele, BigGrin

Good to see that you are still into your Lambo build and adding some interesting thoughts/observations.Cool Cool

I have also noted that you have not been awarded your Blue medal for starting a diary. Blushing That has now been corrected.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

steele
#35 Posted : 08 October 2019 00:24:21

Thanks for the medal, and I have just answered my own question about the two "mystery" hoses---they go to the left radiator. The instructions say "take the hoses coming from the air filter" but what it actually means is "take the hoses coming from the air CONDITIONER", which is a quite different thing. Didn't take any new pics, but I'm just about done with pack 16, which is good because 17/18 should get here this week.
steele
#36 Posted : 07 November 2019 05:30:51

A tiny update (I just got pack 19/20 today, but am still working on 17/18, as I'm spending time slowly hand-polishing out the flaws in the paint in the rear fenders), but I wanted to show that I finally got around to using roymattblack's decals on the ignition coils (Molotow chrome is amazing stuff, but takes forever to dry hard enough to actually press on for press-fit assembly, and to withstand decal solutions)---

IMG_7679T.JPG
roymattblack
#37 Posted : 07 November 2019 08:52:42

That chrome really looks great.
Keep it coming.

Roy.
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 07 November 2019 09:00:52

The chrome look superb. I use that stuff myself, just have to be patient for it to dry but worth it.Love

Mark
andrewyzfr6
#39 Posted : 07 November 2019 12:19:40

the countach must be the best quality build i have made. Excellent detail you have gone into here!
arpurchase
#40 Posted : 07 November 2019 12:48:39

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .