Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
RAF SE5A Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 23:49:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Evening Folks
Crying Not having much success with my ship building projectsCrying

Crying I don't seem to get much further than the framework then I get side tracked and tidy them away thinking I will do them in the not so distant future when I retire and can spend uninterrupted time on them.(trying to convince myself that my skills will have improved by then)

Cool Got quite a few completed subscriptions such as the Akagi, SOS, Constitution and even purchased the Victory full kit when it was on offer with no intentions on starting her soon.

Cool Thought I would purchase them now while employed.Cool

BigGrin Any Hoos came across a picture of an SE5A by Super Flying Model and looking at the framework thought that's the bit I like doing and there is a lot of itDrool

The kit comes with all the balsa, plywood, wheels, metal rods, hinges, screws and servo rods for the elvators and rudder etc even a pilot and transfers.

NOT INCLUDED
The supplier has added a list of what he would recommended for best motor, ESC, servo's, battery and propellor size suitable for this size and weight of model.

The covering off the frames is not supplied either.

The build instructions are ok but some pictures are a bit unclear, but the plans will help make sure i have the correct part and more importantly having it the right way up.Flapper

I could not find a similar build diary to help keep me on the right track, hence my post hoping you good folk can keep me heading in the right direction with your skills and experience.

Mad Enough of me rambling on heres, some pics of the parts used construct the removable section of the upper fuselage which will be for access to the battery.
Dry fitted only nothing glued yet until I get my work board ready.
The last pic is a pile of cut outs for keeping the weight down. Still a lot more to comeLove
Going to keep a hold of those shapes you never know they may come in handy.
Thank for lookin'
budgie attached the following image(s):
upper fuse1.jpg
upper fuse2.jpg
upper fuse.jpg
bits.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 13 March 2019 00:02:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Look forward to seeing this one come together. Cool Cool

Here`s a link to one flying from the Shuttleworth Collection, scroll down the page a little for the video:

http://www.shuttleworth.org/collection/se5a/

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 13 March 2019 06:43:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Keep her square and she should be fine. Covering is never supplied with these kits but there is a period woven look iron on covering from solartex that will have the colours you may want. Available at good R/C madel shops-

https://solarfilm.co.uk/products/solartex

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#4 Posted : 13 March 2019 08:38:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to watching this come together.

Mark
budgie
#5 Posted : 17 March 2019 11:14:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Thanks for your comments and the links guy's, appreciated

Didn't realise they did textured coverings.
Being new to this I did look at iron on coverings but being called plastic kind of put me off as I wanted a fabric look and not a shiny smooth plastic look.

Was going to go for tissue but ended up ordering nylon fabric with a weave in it.
Have read to be careful with over shrinking the material as it is very strong and can break/warp frame.
LOL So I have been warnedLOL nobody to blame but myselfLaugh

Not done much this week

The upper fuselage was place an old glass sheet from a tv unit (can't get a smoother flat work surface than that)
I was going to glue the parts together but the CA glue I have is too thick to run into the joints.

Flapper Will go and annoy my local hobby shop later on today.Flapper

The main fuselage has been cut out but is a wee bit flexed so I will weight that down for a while

I am enjoying preparing the parts and the only criticism is that I wish they had turned the laser up higher so it cut through the thicker ply
Thanks for lookin'
upper2.jpg
upper3.jpg
magpie1832
#6 Posted : 18 March 2019 00:47:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking well Budgie. Look forward to seeing this one mate.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

budgie
#7 Posted : 19 March 2019 21:56:23

BigGrin Thanks for looking Chris I see your Hood is certainly coming alongDrool Drool

On with the fuselage
The kit caters for either EP or IC so depending which option you choose the build will be slightly different from the cockpit forward.
I have opted for EP with a brushless motor.
I cannot justify the expense of a real engine as this is my first rc aeroplane.
Progress so far

fuse1.jpg
fuse1a.jpg
fuse2.jpg
fuse3.jpg
fuse4.jpg
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 19 March 2019 22:47:08

Yeah Hood been going on for too long now lol. Great to see you building though. You been member on here 9 yrs tomorrow. Doesn't time fly lol. I'm 10yrs in November.

Love the wooden RC aircraft. Too many polystyrene ones that are Naf. Brushless is great and can get some good flight times and plane stays clean unlike nitro as they are soo messy but you get great fly times and the sound.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#9 Posted : 19 March 2019 23:23:46

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is progressing very nicely, look forward to seeing how it all turns out....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#10 Posted : 22 March 2019 21:49:50

BigGrin Thanks for popping' in Allan

Progressing with hull Blushing oops I mean fuselage
All seems to fit together nicely

Did get held up by a couple of days as I couldnt find a part

Instructions says glue F16 to F2..Cursing Cursing searched high and low under the furniture, dogs basket, trooser pockets everywhere.Cursing Cursing

Then it dawned on me....maybe that part is not made of ply, like all the rest of of the parts I have fitted so far.

Blushing Blushing Opening the sealed bag of balsa parts there it was the only part that has not been premarked with its number
fuse5.jpg
f16.jpg
fuse3.jpg
fuse4.jpg
fuse2.jpg
upper.jpg
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 22 March 2019 23:49:47

BigGrin All looking good, just make sure its all straight without warps and make sure the wings have no twists/warps when you build them.

One question have you any R/C fixed wing experience as this may be a handful to fly for the novice and a trainer type aircraft to learn on may be the best option before trying to get this baby in the air.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Sparky1962
#12 Posted : 23 March 2019 11:32:20

morning budgie,
very nice model & progress. I am very tempted to get one - but will leave it as a static model. saying that would put an electric engine in it (same as you) as it would look silly without a motor.
Kev the Modeller
#13 Posted : 23 March 2019 14:14:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good Stewart and making nice progress with your build. I'm looking forward to following this.

Well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
budgie
#14 Posted : 23 March 2019 15:10:16

BigGrin Hi Folks
@ Andy
Thank u for your input and advise I have followed your builds for a long time and respect any inputs you may make to my builds.

I was thinking of jigs for the build.

Very much so required for the wings

As for the fuselage, I was expecting my self to rig something up, but as I dry fitted parts in advance of my actual commitment to glueing everything they seems to fit ok
If was squint the parts would overlap or underlap etc.??
Main thing is that I am enjoying the build and I am happy to try again if I **** it up

SWBO normally comments about cost but all I say to her is "x amount o fags and x amount of trips to the bingo"

This is not a Spitfire or a Jet which flies at high speed I will be hoping that this model will fly at a speed that gives me time to react

I was not at first happy at finding out that it is best to learn on a trainer.. They look pretty naff
But as I am progressing with the build I am more committed to buying something that will bounce of the ground ,repair it and try again

Taxi only at the mo

@ Sparky
Once you start building her you will want to fly her

an electric motor will not look right and an ic will be too expensive for it just to sit there
Thanks for your comments gentlemen

The upper fuselage balsa sheet was soaked in the bath for 10 minutes and pegged to frames to dry out

balsa.jpg
balsa2.jpg
f21.jpg
f22.jpg
no1.jpg
sepia.jpg
budgie
#15 Posted : 23 March 2019 16:00:11

Hi Kev
Thanks for looking in and leaving a comment appreciated
LOL
Just found out i can add arrows and text to my photos Cool
Me thinks i may get carried awayFlapper
Gandale
#16 Posted : 24 March 2019 00:21:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're, really powering ahead with this.. Looking good, very nice work.....Drool Drool .. Hope you'll do a video of your first flight (or Taxi BigGrin BigGrin ), would be great to see her moving.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#17 Posted : 27 March 2019 22:24:49

BigGrin Evening folks
The balsa sheet covering the upper fuselage is very soft and using clamps while the glue dried had left a few dent marks
Think I have got most off them filled in with very soft filler and a light sanding

Will need to check before covering in nylon later in build

The catch and release cable has been fitted and a wee bit of "planking" done
LOL Thats enough planking for me in one goLOL
upper1.jpg
catch.jpg
release.jpg
fuse3.jpg
fuse2.jpg
biggles.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#18 Posted : 27 March 2019 22:46:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks really good Budgie ThumpUp
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 28 March 2019 06:42:30

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 28 March 2019 08:11:09

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very good.

Mark