Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Shelby modified extremely Options
Andreesb
#1 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:00:28

Groups: Registered

Hi, Im Andrees from Hamburg Germany.

I already posted my build diary on the German Modelspace site. Since I got many ideas from the UK
site i post it here to show the results.
I only describe the mods and not the whole build.
I just finished it last week and added some 600! parts. More than 90 % of parts were modified.

I tried to modify the model to show the original 1967 car. I used hundreds of photos to be as close to the original as possible. Not to easy with a car that has been modified since 1967 and possibly restored in different ways. You won't find any (visible) black Philips screws on the model.
I only use light weathering and dry brushing effects, to show a car that is well maintained and no barn find.

Starts with the license plate and grill.
handpainted the letters to match the color of the California black plate.
Grill sprayed in matt black.

tried different versions of the lights. Original lights were completely chrome.

removed the yellow Shelby logo and added a golden one.

sprayed the rear of the lights semi gloss black.

Painted the deepening for the fog lights chrome silver.

Added a 0,3mm thin piece of aluminum sheet cut to 2,5 mm wide and glued on top of the grill. Painted black.
this picture is of a later stage of the build. Not very good to see on the pictures.

Already shows some mods to the mount for the lights.

I sanded, filled and painted the mount for the lights black. Removed the pole for the hood lock and added a new one made of a
brass wire, flattened the edges, drilled holes and added screws and nuts.
Removed the plastic nuts and exchanged with metal parts.
painted the horns black and added some iron and grey weathering effects. Replaced the screws for the horns with screws and nuts.
My builds: Shelby 99%, Porsche Carrera RS 30%
Andreesb
#2 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:28:29

Back to the early stages of the build.

this is a picture of the original front brake.
Modified mine to look. bit used.

added brake lines to the calipers, and sanded (granulation 80) the discs while rotating on a multitool.
Painted in chrome silver.

Painted the rims as described several times. Painted the balance weights iron.

Added brake lines to the rear of the calipers.

Replaced the Shelby Logos.

The tires have two different sides. The one with the more detailed Goodyear writing should be on the outside. I mounted two tires the wrong way and the
rubber was 1mm above the rim. Looked strange. Putting on the tire is easy if you put them in boiling water before fitting them on the rims.
Removing them without damaging the rim is almost impossibleCrying

I sanded the tread of the tires to give it a more realistic look.

Andreesb
#3 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:54:38

Now the engine:

Pictures above are from different stages of the build. I modified things several times.
There are lots of different colored air filter and air filter covers pictures on the net. I choose the silver/black version and light grey filter as seen on the
sample picture.
The Holley carburetors are linked and equipped with correct fuel lines and a handmade spring.
I later added a wire that connects to the correct mount on the firewall. The mesh is photo etched metal, cut, painted and glued on.
i made two attempts on painting the air filter cover and the valve cover.
The easier way was to spray the parts in semi gloss black and then remove the excessive paint with thinner (using brush and cotton swabs).
I later added metal butterfly nuts to the cover. I drilled out the plastic ones and painted the deepening black, drilled a hole and added washers and
finaly the nut.
The decal for the Oil filler cap is self-made, I later replaced it with the decal from Roy.

The visible parts of the Holleys were filled, sanded and painted to match the original ones.
Andreesb
#4 Posted : 15 March 2019 18:11:48

Now to the tank. I removed the plastic fuel lines with a multi tool and added metal fuel lines.
The Fuel filler pipe was filled, sanded painted and received hose clamps. 0,3mm aluminum sheet.
I modified the muffler later and removed all mounts on the exhaust and the muffler except the invisible ones.
Removed 4 out of 8 and closed the holes in the bottom plate.

Covered the Philips screws with nuts.
The whole exhaust system was sanded, filled and painted in a variation of aluminum, iron, and different colors from alclad and Revell.

CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 15 March 2019 19:23:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Drool Great mods you’ve done there Andrees. Looks really good. Can’t wait to see what else you’ve done

Regards Gray
Andreesb
#6 Posted : 16 March 2019 00:35:22

Thanks!

Next mods are applied to the differential. Glued together, filled, sanded and sprayed semi gloss black.
Added 1,2mm bolts and washers to the differential than painted anti rust red.
Left the springs (that don't belong there), because of stability.

painted the shock absorbers Ferrari red glossy.
Added 4 bolts to hold the leaf springs correctly.
Painted the leaf springs iron, aluminum and Matt black. Added bolts and nuts to the shock absorbers and nuts, screws and washers to the
exhaust connection. Added a piece of aluminum to hold the brake lines. Painted anti rust red.

Added brake lines to the rear axle connecting both wheels.

Propeller shaft custom made.
Aluminum pipe, universal joint for RC boats, cut to correct length, glued together plus some parts of the plastic propeller shaft.

Closed, Filled sanded and painted the original screw holes for the plastic propeller shaft that where in the base plate.

Closed the gap in the frame where the leaf springs are mounted. 0,3mm aluminum sheet. Added screw heads. Painted black parts anti rust red.
The propeller shaft was black at my first attempt as you can see on the above picture. I removed it and changed it to Aluminum color when I had more correct pictures. So many pictures with modified cars on the net, hard to tell what was original in 1967.
Andreesb
#7 Posted : 16 March 2019 00:57:47

Custom made holders for the exhaust pipe.
At this stage I had removed 4 of the 8 holders of the exhaust system. So I needed the correct holder.

Modified the gearbox. Left it blue, I think this was the correct color in 1967. It must be the 4 speed top loader gearbox.
All versions now available are silver (afaik). Added some gear parts. Lots of screws added and weathered with Matt black and silver.

This sheet is missing in the model. It should sit on the left side of the car only.

had to modify the gearbox storage. Added 0,3 mm Aluminum to the frame parts and painted red.

Also added fuel lines and brake lines with correct fittings.

This is the final stage of the bottom.

Andreesb
#8 Posted : 16 March 2019 01:51:16

sprayed the top side of the engine bay black, left the bottom red. There used to be traces of black spray on the bottom when they left the factory.

the stabilizer bar (or its it correct stabilizer coupling rod)?? should sit under the wishbone. I tried to fit it correctly with nuts and screws.
I had to bend it and lengthen it. The fitting plate on the frame was also missing. I changed that later when I fitted the fuel pump/filter and Oil filter
because it got in its way.Crying
I am no mechanic, so apologize for confusing some part names.
I also modified the tension strut?! with screws and nuts on the top and some aluminum sheet to match the original one.

Modified fittings for the stabilizing bar.

Power steering completed. Added 4 hoses to the power steering, that lead to the power steering pump.
Added a rubber sleeve (custom-made from a spring and shrinking tube!!) and a few screws and screw heads.
My first attempt to create a rubber sleeve was using rubber rings glued together, so there are different versions on the photos.

steering still works, but is a little blocked when steering to the right. But looks nice.
Andreesb
#9 Posted : 16 March 2019 02:08:14

Now to the trunk. Sprayed the trunk and sidewalls in Nightmist blue.

Modified the rear wall of the trunk. The center part should be in interior color. Added photoetched screw heads and opening handle for the
opening in the rear wall.
I did not remove or hide all Philips screws in the trunk, but they will be hidden under the carpet/trunk mat anyway.
The printed paper trunk mat was my first attempt. I made one from printed cloth later.
MrObsessive
#10 Posted : 16 March 2019 10:54:03

WOW!! Very, very nice! I just started on mine not long ago and I figured it's going to take me a couple years to get it done with the way I build and with other projects I've got going on.

I have details in mind pretty much like yours.........what they give you while nice, it's a little bland for my tastes.

Thanks for sharing and I saved your thread for future reference! Cool
Andreesb
#11 Posted : 16 March 2019 12:16:46

Now to the interior:
Openend the vents in the dashboard cover.
Added some black paint to the dashboard to give it more depth.
Repainted the pedals, and added some color to the handbrake release, the ignition, the gear lever.
Shelby Logo replaced.
Steering column was filled, sanded and painted. Steering wheel spokes thinned, holes drilled bigger, sanded the steering wheel and repainted
to look like real wood. Two layers of clear coat added. Shelby Logo in the horn button replaced.
The yellow Shelby logo is printed onto the chrome part. I removed it with thinner and a cotton swab.

painted the door side parts night mist blue. Door closed traps painted chrome.
Chrome Parts of the door painted with semi gloss black, removed the excessive paint, to give the authentic look.
You need to wipe off the paint. carefully while its still wet.

Modified the shoulder harness. Used a screw, nut, washer and photo etched parts (some are for a 1/12 F1 Ferrari). Not 100% original,
but looks better than the Steve Urkel version.

Modified the belt whip. It now moves up and down correctly.

Andreesb
#12 Posted : 16 March 2019 12:57:18

Modified the cooler.
Added some weathering to the cooler and replaced all radiator fan blades.
0,6mm aluminum screwed to the plastic center piece of the models space part.
Painted Matt black and added some weathering.

water hose glued, filled, sanded, painted and added photo etched hose clamps with screw and micro rivets.

I later removed the silver part that is attached to the cooler. It should be on top of the radiator.

Cut off all plastic fan belts and replaced them with rubber ones.
Modified the generator. Added some paint, drilled holes for the power cables,
cut open the holder for the generator. Custommade a new pulley.
O

Y

Added the dipstick and oil lines to the Power steering pump.

Custom made a top and holder for the Oil filter. Added some decal.

glued, filled sanded and painted the manifold.
Added screws.

Custom made Oil dipstick

added screws to the oil pan.

Andreesb
#13 Posted : 16 March 2019 13:16:56

Custom made Fuel pump/filter.

Modified later because stabilizer got in its way.

fuel lines from carburetors to fuel pump added.

the water hose should not lead to the gearboxConfused

It runs to the firewall near the heater.
I changed that later.

Modified the Power steering Pump holder, added second oil line to the pump.

Custom made inline fuel filter. Runs to the left engine bay wall close to the washer bag.
Andreesb
#14 Posted : 16 March 2019 17:10:11

modified ignition cable. cut off all cables and drilled holes in the ends of the remains to the sparkling plugs and the distributor.
Glued 5mm long pieces of wire into the holes. Removed the wire of the new ignition cables a bit so the end of the cable had 3mm insulation free.
Glued that to the wire part in the distributor and sparkling plugs. Painted dark grey.
Check wiring, firing order for V8 is 1, 8, 7, 3, 6, 2, 4, 5

added distributor clamp

modified ignition coil: glued, filled, sanded, painted, added decal and drilled holes in for 2 bolts and nuts to connect the cables.
Painted the top of the coil continental orange.

I glued the sparkling plugs into the engine block.

changed the position of the fuel pump.

Andreesb
#15 Posted : 16 March 2019 17:45:54

Modified the firewall. It should look completely different, I added parts of the heater, cables and the mounting for the throttle cable.
Also modified the brake booster. Added Brake Cables.
The small hole to the top right is for the cables that come from the ignition coil, the 2 bigger holes to the left are for the water hoses to the heater.

Added a hose from the brake cylinder to the Carburetor. Not exactly sure where this hose should go, it ends underneath the air filter cover.
Andreesb
#16 Posted : 16 March 2019 18:30:08

now to the left engine bay wall. Custom Made washer pump. Washer bag modified. Removed 2 of the 4 pins on the rear of the bag and drilled open
the holes in the bag. Added some gold paint and made 2 hooks out of wire to hang the bag. drilled a hole into the bottom of the bag for the washer fluid hose. Added cables to the pump. Added decal. Added top part of engine holder. Added relay and cables. Covered the speaker with mesh.

Custom Made starter solenoid.

drilled open the battery connectors and added screws and nuts. Repainted the battery caps red. Added decals.

added screws to the battery holder and Mas connector. Added cables.

Andreesb
#17 Posted : 16 March 2019 18:59:28

covered the black Philips screws with washers and screw heads, than painted black

Added wire between gas throttle holder and carburetor connection.
Added water hose from the hexagonal connector on the engine top to the firewall. The other water hose connects to the firewall (the one that was falsely connected to the gearbox)
closed the screw holes on top of the strut domes.
Modified strut brace. Added screws and nuts and added some paint.
Connected cables from the generator to the cable harness.

Andreesb
#18 Posted : 16 March 2019 19:08:45

Added decal to the battery

opened the ducts, added mesh on the inside to cover the pins for the ducts.
Cut away two pins.

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 17 March 2019 09:21:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive work, your attention to detail is superb.Love

Mark
Andreesb
#20 Posted : 17 March 2019 10:55:12

Added photo etched hexagonal screw heads to the fenders and painted rubber buffers black.

Exchanged the Shelby Logos.

Removed the Shelby Logo from the tank filler cap (thinner and cotton swab)
I print all my decals with a standard
HP deskjet on glossy paper and slice the paper with a scalpel to receive very thin decals and then cut out with a nail scissor.
Glued in and covered with clear coat.

Painted the LED bulbs with Citadel shade seraphim sepia. Needed several attempts to achieve a warm white light.
Alternatively you could change the LED´s if your good a soldering.I didn't like the blue Xenon like color on a 1967 car.

The color on this photo isn't the final version.

I put shrink tube around all visible white/blue cables.
Replaced wheel cap logos.

After reading about problems with the plastic parts in the hood hinge system (breaking or becoming loose after opening the hood several times) I decided to replace the guide rail with a massive aluminum part. Hand sawn, drilled ,sanded and held in place with two screws and nuts.
Put superglue to the nuts so they don't get loose.
Stretching the spring a bit before putting it in is also a good idea.
Painted the complete hinge system iron colored.

Fixed the wiggling door problem, glued in a piece of aluminum that stopped the door from moving up and down.

Sanded and Painted the door lock bolt.

Added Shelby stickers to the door panel.