Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<678910>»
Sword Beach D-Day Landings Options
Plymouth57
#141 Posted : 17 July 2020 20:57:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Many thanks for that Tony and glad you enjoyed it!Blushing The Crocodile trailer was um, 'interesting' to say the least and to be perfectly honest, mine is a little over-scale compared to the original but even then, I can get four of them on my little finger nail! I think it does capture the 'feel' of the original though and in this scale that'll do!BigGrin
As you can see on my last Victory posting (ages ago now, the poor old girl!), details for ships is a perfect use for the resin casting method.
My favourite 'make' is the DWR Company's which advertise on ebay as their resins are non-toxic unlike the earlier formulas, so there's no problem with sanding it down etc. My DelPrado Victory kit came with a pair of cast metal boats designed to be hung from davits on the poop deck sides, I'll probably cast them in resin later - a lot less weight to suspend!Cool
Trailer coming soon!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#142 Posted : 18 July 2020 10:06:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stunning work Robin and very well thought out.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#143 Posted : 18 July 2020 20:46:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Amazing work RobinBigGrin looks awesome so farDrool

Cool Regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Plymouth57
#144 Posted : 26 July 2020 17:52:44

Grateful thanks again to Alan and Phil!Blushing

Well, as Tony said above, the Crocodile’s trailer is definitely unique as far as the shape goes – as you can see from Photo 2 (from the Bovingdon Tank Museum), there’s hardly a right angle in the thing! Before that however, Photo 1 illustrates the Crocodile in action. Along with the Hawker Tempest, the Churchill Crocodile was hated by the Germans and the crew of a disabled Crocodile could often expect no mercy if captured. A little strange considering it was the Germans who first introduced weapons designed to burn men alive during the Great War! The Crocodile was an adapted Churchill tank, which retained its main turret gun and co-axial machine gun so could still function as a standard tank without the flamethrower. The fuel was a mixture of petrol with a thickening agent (basically an early form of Napalm) which ensured that the burning jet adhered to whatever it struck. The armoured trailer weighed six and a half tons and contained four hundred gallons of fuel when fully loaded. Armoured in this case was slightly optimistic, the trailer was bullet proof but anything larger could penetrate it and set it alight. To reduce the risk of the tank incinerating itself the trailer was towed with a jettisonable hitch so the tank could rid itself of the burning trailer and drive away. The early versions of the Crocodile used compressed air to spray the fuel with compressed air cylinders fitted at the rear of the trailer, by the time of D-Day however, compressed Nitrogen was employed instead. The fuel passed from the trailer through an armoured hose to the rear of the Churchill and then through the tank bottom to the flame projector which replaced the hull mounted machine gun on the left (driver on the right). The trailer, fully loaded and gassed would give the Crocodile approximately eighty bursts of fire of one second duration, using about four gallons on each burst. The range was quoted at one hundred and twenty yards but many reckoned it was closer to one hundred and fifty. The igniter was fitted within the flame projector and for taking out bunkers and fixed defences the tank could shoot out jets of fuel to drench the enemy position before igniting the whole lot with a final burst of fire. The Crocodile was offered to the Americans prior to D-Day but not wanting to have to train to use the British Churchill, they decided to work on a similar system to retro-fit to the M4 Sherman. This unfortunately was a complete flop and so throughout the Normandy campaign British Crocodiles found themselves attached to the American forces as and when their services were required. The Sherman variant was eventually made to work but mainly served in the Pacific theatre against the Japanese. (They came in two versions – one firing through the hull projector like the Crocodile and an improved type which fired the fuel down the main gun barrel.)
So the first job was to figure out how to get that unique (and fiddly) shape for the main body of the trailer. The solution was a scrap piece of 2mm thick plasticard, cut into a long strip of about 5cm length and 2mm square. Diagram 3 shows the stages in getting the body shape. The newly cut 2mm ‘plank’ was sanded down in stages, first the angle from top to sides and then the undercut slope below the flat side panel. When those looked about right I could then sand away the front portion to achieve the angled front end before then gluing on a much thinner length of styrene to make the ‘tow-bar’ section. In actual fact, because the tow bar is actually the ‘sprue’ as well, I didn’t reduce the front-most section as shown in the Diagram 4 but left it the same thickness and simply carefully sanded it down to shape after casting. The rest of the simplified details as shown in Diagram 4 were tiny pieces of styrene offcuts, shaped and then glued in position. The bars along the top sides and the rear locators (I didn’t add the front ones) were stretched sprue whilst the wheels were slices from styrene rod. When I added the wheels, I suddenly discovered that the ruddy thing was too short!Blushing (It was probably bang on scale as far as length was concerned but because the rest was a little overscale, overall it looked too squat and didn’t project far enough behind the wheel as shown in Photo 5. Fortunately, this mistake was much easier to correct than most. As I had sanded/carved the body shape from the ‘plank’ I could just add a drop of liquid poly to where I’d cut the trailer off, glue the rest of the plank back on and once it was set slice the body off a little further back!BigGrin The extended version is shown in Photo 6 with the elongated body attached with now enough room to add the rear tube holders. Photo 7 illustrates one of the first castings. These came out pretty well apart from the obvious air bubble in the wheel. Each casting had the same fault on either one or the other wheels so I added a pair of cut out channels to the rubber mould as I did with the balloon. Unfortunately, this time round it made no difference to the resin so I came up with the ultimately simple solution – if the resin won't fill the mould, fill it with something else! The wheels on the prototype were simple slices from a styrene rod so just cut a couple more of the same thickness and pop them into the rubber mould, pushing them down into the cavity before joining the two halves together for the pouring of the resin. The result is shown in Photo 8; a resin trailer bonded onto a pair of styrene wheels! I then just need to clean up the flash around the sides of the casting and slim down the forward end of the tow bar before gluing it to a Churchill with a channel filed out of the box on the hull rear to fit the tow bar into. The duo was glued together with a drop of superglue and placed in their final location on the beach to get the correct slope at the connection before the glue set. Then, as in Photo 9, the assembly received a couple coats of Vallejo Grey Primer before painting the Russian Green and weathering as shown in the Penny Shot in Photo 10. Finally, the completed tank and trailer were glued back down onto the beach with Deluxe Card Glue as seen in the final Photo 11.
So now I need to do a few more Barrage Balloons and a trailer or two to complete this section for later addition. For the next installment, while I get on with that, I’ll bring the current beach situation up to date with a series of ‘mini-dioramas’ which all add to the mayhem going on!
Until then, Stay safe and Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Crocodile Trailer pic 1.JPG
Crocodile Trailer pic 2.JPG
Crocodile Trailer pic 3.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Markwarren
#145 Posted : 28 July 2020 08:25:29

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Robin.Love Love

Mark
tigerace
#146 Posted : 28 July 2020 11:34:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome work RobinDrool Drool those Churchill`s look the bizCool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

Plymouth57
#147 Posted : 10 August 2020 19:47:25

Many thanks again to Mark and Phil!Blushing Now its time to get really tiny!BigGrin
The first of the minis set pieces to begin was the Sherman Crab Flail tank busily flailing its way through the minefield and the first thing I needed for that was to create some flying sand. I can never understand why some manufacturer has not jumped on the need to create a set of coloured cotton wool for the modelling fraternity. There are numerous videos on Youtube showing how to create realistic explosions and burning smoke effects with LEDs and cotton wool, all of which need the white cotton wool to be sprayed with grey and black aerosol paints (with red and orange brushed paint for the flames). If only some cotton wool producer could come up with sets of pre-coloured cotton wool – from greys and blacks for smoke effects to bright reds and orange for flames and various sand and earth tones for diorama dust effects under vehicles!Drool Anyhow, with no ‘off the shelf’ product, Photo 1 shows my own DIY solution, on the left is ‘raw’ cotton wool whilst on the right is a tuft that I rubbed around a resin mixing cup with some of the sand weathering powder. It looks a lot less fluffy here, but once glued down in position it can be teased up to a lighter fluffier appearance again. Dying the cotton wool is a possibility if it can be ‘fluffed up’ again afterwards I suppose. Photo 2 shows the spot I picked for the Crab, just inside the minefield after smashing through the barbed wire. I applied a couple of drops of Deluxe Card Glue and after waiting a few minutes for it to go tacky (on the second attempt, the first dried off before I knew it), I pushed the coloured cotton wool into place and left it to dry. Once dry I then pulled most of it off again leaving the whispy dust cloud into which the Crab with its spinning flail was glued. After the tank was firmly attached I then further teased the cotton wool to surround the chains before adding darker tank tracks in the sand behind the Sherman with the dark brown Carr’s Shades of Mud powder (Photo 3).
The next little point of interest I wanted to create was a first aid post, which would be situated up beside the barbed wire in front of the mine field. The first thing I required was some stretchers and Photo 4 shows where they came from. Many of the simpler moulds I’ve made for this project are one piece, the resin is poured into the mould and a flat piece of silicone (usually the bottom of another mould) is just placed on top and weighted down. This results in the parts I want, in this case from the Carpet Layer mould on a ‘matrix’ (posh name for flash) of very (very) thin resin. The stretchers, shown painted khaki and held in the sprung tweezers were cut from the flash at the bottom right by simply pressing down with the safety razor cutter and removing a strip of the required width. Onto the painted resin strip were glued a couple of the reclining figures shown in Photo 5, as these were originally Naval crewmen I think these are supposed to be sunbathing aircraft carrier flight deck crew (I can’t think of any other reason for this pose!)Blink The stretcher bearers are the standing figures shown in Photo 6. In hindsight I think these are actually AA gunners and their arms should have been bent forward whilst they were still on the fret before priming. This would have a) allowed them to ‘hold’ the rear of the AA guns and b) made perfect stretcher bearers with their arms becoming the stretcher's poles! As it was, they were just too ruddy small to be able to grip them and bend those arms – something to think about perhaps on another fret one day.
The completed First Aid post is shown in Photo 7, the hardest part was actually getting the stretcher bearers to ‘bear’ their stretchers! It was a case of a tiny drop of super glue to glue the casualty on his stretcher to the rear bearer, keeping it at right angles until set and then attaching the front medic at the same angle. Each trio had a few gluings and partings before they set just right. There was a third casualty laying on the stretcher, this one placed on the ground for attention. The rest of the wounded were sitting up or just laying on the beach with a kneeling and standing Medical Orderly to finish off the group. The red cross flag came from the set of RN flags and ensigns that I scanned and printed onto white decal paper (its actually a St George’s cross but that’s close enough!)
The next set of figures were the ‘passengers’ for some of the Landing Craft Assault vessels (LCA’s). In the crew figure fret there are loads of figures in the act of saluting. That’s fine for ship’s crew of course, but there’s a limit to how many ‘Pongos’ would be saluting during a beach landing (I’ve used a few here and there though). Anyway, I thought with a little re-shaping I could use these figures up as the infantry being ferried to shore on the little LCA’s. Photo 8 illustrates the before and after, the basic standing saluting figure on the left and with a couple of careful bends, the sitting figure on the right. (Wish I had some 1/700 Bren Gun Carriers now!Cool ) With careful application of Deluxe Card Glue via a cocktail stick, I could get around seven sitting Infantry placed on the central bench down the middle of the craft. In actual fact of course the LCA could carry up to thirty six infantry using both the double middle bench and the two outer benches sheltered under the decking. As you can see in Photo 9, my troops are a little exposed but the overall effect is quite ‘busy’ looking. Altogether I made up four with sitting troops with their ramps closed, and another six with their ramps down. Three of those are abandoned further up the beach (part of the first wave grounded as the tide went out) and three with standing/running troops in the act of landing, more on them in the next installment. The total supply of ‘sitters’ is shown in Photo 10. And finally the finished set of four ‘en routes’ with the first of the ‘landers’ is shown in Photo 11.
With the landing vessels now equipped with crews (apart from a few AA guns to ‘man up’) the next installment will cover the placement of the ships and craft so I can begin the actual troop deployment on the beach – this is where it gets complicated! So next time, its “Hit the Beach”!
Until then, stay safe and Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Mini Dioramas pic 1.JPG
Mini Dioramas pic 2.JPG
birdaj2
#148 Posted : 10 August 2020 20:06:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Robin

You are certainly setting yourself some challenges.

I thought the flame thrower would be next too impossible but You pulled that one off really well.

Now a sherman flail tank - interesting to see all of these taking shape. Its some very impressive work.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#149 Posted : 12 August 2020 07:06:16

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work Robin, love those landing craft.Love Love

Mark
Plymouth57
#150 Posted : 31 August 2020 11:45:36

Grateful thanks again to Tony and Mark and apologies to all for the delay in posting – the pics below were taken a few weeks ago as I haven’t been able to do a thing for the last ten days – my ruddy back’s gone again! Same lower back muscle/tendon strain/damage as I had a couple of years ago (and just as painful!)Crying If you want a definition of ‘irony’, ten days ago the courier delivered a large and very heavy box to the front door. And following the current Covid rules he then pushed off leaving me to find some way to get the flaming thing in through the narrow porch on my own. I managed it in the end but in the process did in my back (for the third time!Cursing ) Nothing ironic there, except that the big heavy box contained the motorised riser/recliner armchair that I’d bought as a surprise for Mum (92 yrs) to help her with her ongoing backache!LOL
OK then, Photo 12 is a return to the overall plan photo I took a while back. I printed this one off on A4 paper and return to it frequently to check on the placement of the various ships and craft. There has been one small ‘adjustment’ to the positions; in the centre of the beach you can see the two LSIs on the shoreline. The one on the left is now in the act of going astern, withdrawing from the beach with her ramps retracting. This, as you will see later has an effect on the placement of the troops I glued down on the beach itself. Photo 13 is a close up of the three vessels on the far right of the diorama. The disembarking infantry figures have been glued in place mostly with the Deluxe Card Glue and the bow is positioned on the shoreline using the photo and the spacing of the craters. You can just make out the early tank trails lining up with the ramps of the LSTs, these were given more definition later with a darker brown weathering powder from the Carrs Mud set. The tool used to work in the tracks was bought on Ebay – about a hundred of them for a couple of pounds! They are tiny little fibre brushes on a pink plastic handle, which are sold for applying eyelash makeup! (The makeup section on Ebay is also a great source of modelling tools!)BigGrin
With the Landing ship’s ramps in place, I then glued down a pair of figures to represent Officers or NCOs directing the troops off the ramps of the two grounded ships and once they were set I could then remove all the ship models to give me room to move over the base. Using the two figures as a guide I then glued down a double line of troops running up the beach as shown in Photo 14. (That’s a Sherman DD tank rolling up the beach just out of shot!) Then to check the positioning was OK I plonked the LSI back in place temporarily to give the effect shown in Photo 15.
With the main groups of infantry fixed down in place I could then plan where the landing craft were to be placed. To do this, all the ships went back on the base again so I could judge how much space was left in between them for the LCAs. Photo 16 illustrates the left hand side of the diorama with four out of the six LCAs in their allotted positions. Three (including the one shown in Photo 17) are actually beached further up the shoreline having come in with the first wave and got themselves marooned as the tide was going out, their troops are to be found up on the roadway, the other three landing craft that are in the surf are unloading and are the ones I fitted with standing figures earlier. Note on the far right in Photo 16 that group of soldiers, these are from the LSI that I decided was going to be reversing back off the beach. Unlike the two others disembarking, these have had time to congregate into a company before running up the beach and are not in the two neat lines. Also pictured here are a trio of Sherman DD’s moving up and a bogged down/knocked out Churchill in the centre. Photo 17 shows the last unloading LCA with a line of Churchills on the right which align with the LCT on the far right, and on the left a Deep Wading Churchill behind the Bridge Layer which are exiting the larger LST (shown in Photo 20). At this point, all the LCAs apart from the beached trio, which are glued down, are still unfixed. This is because I have to create the wave effects, both along the shoreline and further out before any of the vessels go in permanently. All three waves will have to go in at the same time and I need to experiment with the medium to check how long I’ve got to apply, sculpt and press the ships into it before it sets too hard. The bottle says it takes 24 hours to cure completely but it gets pretty stiff much quicker than that!Blink
Photo 18 shows the pair of Churchill AVRE Carpet Layers, one empty and the other still to unroll its carpet. The right hand exit ramp is shown in Photo 19 with another Deep Wading Churchill moving up. Since this photo was taken I’ve also added the second Churchill Crocodile flame thrower, just beyond this view turning the corner onto the road. The troops on the far side of the ramp are British infantry, those on the near side were from the second fret of figures, the line of figures standing with hands in the air (supposed to be directing aircraft on the flight deck) – I painted these in German grey and jackboots to represent a line of POWs being escorted down to the beach. There will be a few more of them standing outside the bunker doors later. Finally in Photo 20, I put the vessels back in position temporarily to give some impression of the ‘chaos’ of the landings, which will hopefully be apparent when they get put back in for good!
There’s a few more little ‘character pieces’ I added in before the ‘accident’ so I’ll try and take some more pics for Part Three.
Until then, Stay safe, Happy Modelling and steer clear of heavy furniture!BigGrin

Robin.
Mini Dioramas pic 3.JPG
Mini Dioramas pic 4.JPG
tigerace
#151 Posted : 31 August 2020 12:22:16

Wow sorry about your back pain did something similar couple of weeks ago so no how you feel RobinCursing Your Model is really coming to life great work as alwaysBigGrin

Regards PhilCool

Kev the Modeller
#152 Posted : 01 September 2020 21:21:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow! Just catching up with this epic diorama build of yours Robin and you've made some excellent progress since I last looked in. Full of amazing details and all in such a tiny scale - that's impressive, well done! Cool Drool

Is it the photograph lighting or does the sea look distinctly purple!? Confused Huh

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#153 Posted : 03 September 2020 08:03:43

Looks very impressive Robin.Love Love Also looks like a second chair might be on the wayLOL . Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Mark
birdaj2
#154 Posted : 03 September 2020 18:28:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Robin

Sorry to hear about your back pains.

I suffer on and with similar. In my case too many hours a day sat looking at a computer screen, think its the centre of my problems.

Loving the build and even more amazing is the fact you have figures running up the beach - all very well done indeed.

Hope it continues well and the back settles down.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
delboy271155
#155 Posted : 04 September 2020 18:42:19

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Sympathise with your back problem, I have a muscle that goes into spasm on the left side and when that plays up I can`t move up or down without a cocktail of strong drugs at Hospital. Crying Crying

Loving the detail you`ve got into this dio.

Cool Love Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#156 Posted : 19 September 2020 20:20:39

Many thanks indeed to Phil, Kev, Mark, Tony and Derek for both their comments and commiserations! Especially to those who have also suffered or suffering Crying . There's no pain like back pain! You might be right Mark, Mum is now thinking about a two seat sofa and a second chair, although I did try hers at the height of the back problem and it was agony when I reclined back! It definitely helps her with her back ache though. Kev, you're absolutely right and I hadn't even noticed it! When I scanned and printed the seascape base it was virtually identical in colour but over the months its very gradually gone to a purple hue! Not sure why as the test print I did first to try the resin over the top has stayed blue under the resin but also gone purple elsewhere. Whether its ultraviolet 'bleaching' the inkjet colour or a reaction with the resin I don't know, (can't see why when its the parts under the resin which stayed blue on the test piece)! Anyway, the good news is it doesn't look too bad on the base and by the time the ships, LCA's, waves and wakes are in and whitened up for spray and foam, there isn't actually much open water left!BigGrin
So carrying on from last time, as I mentioned right at the start of this build, my favourite scene in the epic movie “The Longest Day” is the long aerial shot of the Free French Commandos as they charge around the harbour at Ouistreham to get to grips with the (fictitious) fortified Casino building with the big gun underneath it. I say fictitious as the Germans had already demolished the casino to make way for the huge underground Command Bunker, which is what the Free French actually assaulted and captured!Blink Anyway, during the assault Lt Kieffer makes a run back across the harbour bridge under heavy fire to get tank support and eventually returns on the back of a British Sherman DD. So here in Photo 21, Kieffer has made it back to the beachhead and is flagging down his ‘big gun’ to help assault his objective! Photo 22 shows the first of the armour to exit the left hand ramp cheered on by the infantry. In the front is a Churchill AVRE with fascine followed by the first Crocodile flamethrower with more Churchills following behind. Down the other end the tanks and infantry are moving inland up the road between the small shop and the first house as shown in Photo 23. The one thing I wish I’d done now, after seeing the close up photos is to have chopped off all the moulded Sherman turret guns and replaced them all with thinner stretched sprue ones. (The Churchills don’t come with any gun barrels so there was no choice there!) The view in Photo 24 is just back from Kieffer’s tank and shows the damaged gate pillars to the hotel. You might remember about three years ago, my Scramble diorama where I made the airfield hut out of individual 1/72 scale ceramic red bricks. In this shot, the pillars and wall are part of the single piece resin casting for the base but the red brick debris from the pillar is one of those ceramic bricks, hammered into tiny bits and each piece carefully glued in position with card glue and tweezers. A couple of the gate pillars on the houses also received the same treatment. Photo 25 is another shot of the troops on the beach from the other direction, along with quite a few of the DD tanks as well. The two neat columns line up with the LSI ramps and the more confused group is from the reversing ship.
Finally, in Photos 26 and 27, the two opposite ends of the diorama are shown from further out. Photo 26 is the left hand side as seen from the sea with Kieffer’s Sherman and surrendering Germans outside the bunker. Eventually this view will be obscured by the large hotel building in the foreground. I still have to adapt a few bits of the PE ship’s rails to make some metal gates for the various entrances. Photo 27 is the right hand side and once again the view will be blocked by the pair of shops up against the bit of pavement seen in the bottom left.
I will probably put in a few more infantry in the alley between the shops but in the next installment, it’s time to stop putting off the inevitable and start painting those buildings (and now that I’m well into them I know why I’ve been putting them off!)BigGrin
Until then, stay safe and Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Mini Dioramas pic 5.JPG
Mini Dioramas pic 6.JPG
birdaj2
#157 Posted : 19 September 2020 23:24:00

Looking really good Robin.

I remember that scene in the film very well and that is a neat idea to incorporate it as a Side story in your diorama.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages of your build.

Tony

Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#158 Posted : 20 September 2020 09:26:20

Very nice work Robin. Looking very busy now.Love

Mark
tigerace
#159 Posted : 20 September 2020 19:28:15

Love the detail RobinBigGrin those DD tanks and the flail tank outstanding Drool Drool

Regards PhilCool

delboy271155
#160 Posted : 20 September 2020 21:40:25

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent detailing as always.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"