Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages 123>»
Gandale's Vasa Build Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 28 March 2019 16:12:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I am no longer in a position to be able to continue this build as the Official build as I can no longer post on that particular topic. That said, I have decided to continue the build as far as I can, but only as a personal build. Whether the build will reach finality will depend upon whether I can obtain the rest of the build stages needed, I am still missing stage 101 and Packs 11 & 12. If I can obtain the missing parts then I will conclude the build. As the build is now a personal build I will be making some changes from that shown in the printed instructions but these changes will be cosmetic only, the construction and the build sequence will continue as per the written instructions and will follow the same format as that already shown on the official build. I decided to continue doing it this way in order to provide assistance to those who are contemplating taking this build on and to those following the official build. It also means you are able to pass comment if you so wish.

The Official Build up to this point can be found here:

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=541

Stage 92 Contents: Gallery Roof and Decorations.

Remove any burrs of flash from all of the decorations received with this stage, apply a coat of metal primer and leave to dry. Now follow the painting guide provided within the instructions to paint all the decorations.

When dry, carefully store all the decorations in a bag labelled with this stage number until they are needed again.

This stage is now complete.

Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF7121.JPG
DSCF7123.JPG
Ulf56
#2 Posted : 28 March 2019 17:26:10

Groups: Registered

Hi Alan!
I'm building the German version and wait for stage 101 and pack 10.
Are there any problems waiting for me??!
Regards Ulf
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 28 March 2019 17:31:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I wish you good luck with the build Alan, and im sure you will be able to complete this wonderful ship to your usual high standards. The painting of all the figureheads alone would strain my eyes BigGrin

Regards
Gray
Gandale
#4 Posted : 28 March 2019 17:31:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ulf56 wrote:
Hi Alan!
I'm building the German version and wait for stage 101 and pack 10.
Are there any problems waiting for me??!
Regards Ulf

Hi Ulf, I do not envisage any problems for subscribers to this build. For me it simply means I need to arrange the purchase of stage 101 and packs 11 & 12.

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#5 Posted : 28 March 2019 17:35:21

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
I wish you good luck with the build Alan, and im sure you will be able to complete this wonderful ship to your usual high standards. The painting of all the figureheads alone would strain my eyes BigGrin

Regards
Gray

Thanks Gray and I agree with you. The painting of the decorations is a very time consuming part of this build, a good proportion of the figures are very small to say the least. Over 400 need to be painted so a lot of patience will be needed....BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 28 March 2019 19:25:11

BigGrin Looking forward to seeing your build Alan Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#7 Posted : 28 March 2019 19:55:15

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Looking forward to seeing your build Alan Cool
Martyn

Thanks Martyn, always good to know you will be following.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 28 March 2019 20:02:24

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to seeing you finish this excellent build. ThumpUp

Mark
Gandale
#9 Posted : 28 March 2019 22:10:40

Markwarren wrote:
Looking forward to seeing you finish this excellent build. ThumpUp

Mark

Thanks Mark, will just have to see how we get on... fingers crossed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DaDokta
#10 Posted : 29 March 2019 10:38:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck with the continuation of this wonderful build!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Sticky Wickett
#11 Posted : 29 March 2019 17:06:39

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great progress on this Alan. Looks superb!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
nightwisher
#12 Posted : 29 March 2019 23:39:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Look forward to seeing what you do with her now you can add your own personal touches
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 30 March 2019 01:21:27

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tf64
#14 Posted : 30 March 2019 21:40:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck Alan,

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

magpie1832
#15 Posted : 30 March 2019 21:54:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Alan. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build as far as you can go.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#16 Posted : 30 March 2019 22:51:18

Thanks for all the support guys, very much appreciated.... Will do all I can to bring this build to a successful conclusion.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 31 March 2019 07:48:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Fingers crossed you get the missing parts as I enjoy your ship creations.

Blink Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#18 Posted : 25 April 2019 16:36:08

Thanks for looking in Derek and your comments, appreciated.....Cool Cool

Stage 93 Contents: Cannon Carriage, Cannon Parts and Decorations.

Due to the cosmetic changes made in this build stage it was necessary to change the build sequence of that shown in the instructions. I simply couldn’t bring myself to paint the hull as per the instructions, the brown paint being used in painting the hull I thought was simply wrong and hideous so decided to use a redwood stain (not a wood dye!!).

First step is to carefully drill a 12.5mm hole for the rudder, 8mm aft of the false keel. Apply two coats of redwood wood stain, lightly sanding between coats. The wood stain was applied first simply because you cannot apply wood stain to painted surfaces but you can apply paint to a stained surfaces. The unstained upper bow area will be stained later, once the two doors have been fitted.

Apply a strip of masking tape on both sides of the upper hull, following the measurements shown in step 8 of the instructions. Paint the areas of the hull above the masking tape red (RAL 3020), then paint the top half of the stern, above the fourth raised strake with the same red colour. Wait until the paint has completely dried then carefully remove the strips of masking tape.

Now place the model on a modelling base with the keel parallel to the work surface. With the use of a waterline marker set the marker 10mm below the lowest raised strake and mark a line along the length of the hull, on both sides. Attach the rudder temporarily and continue the marked line onto the rudder. Mask off the hull above the marked waterline and paint the lower hull and the lower part of the rudder light ivory (RAL 1015). When the paint has completely dried carefully remove the masking tape.

Prepare the cannon parts received with this stage as you have previously. For a detailed description of this, refer back to stage 2 of the Official Build.
Retrieve decorations C80, C81 and C82 supplied with this stage.

Remove any burrs or flash from the decorations, apply a coat of metal primer and leave to dry. Now follow the painting guide provided within steps 13 – 15 of the instructions to paint the decorations.

This stage is now complete, carefully store the decorations and assembled cannon in a bag labelled with this stage number.

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF7126.JPG
DSCF7127.JPG
DSCF7130.JPG
DSCF7131.JPG
DSCF7132.JPG
DSCF7135.JPG
DSCF7136.JPG
DSCF7137.JPG
DSCF7138.JPG
DSCF7144.JPG
DSCF7145.JPG
DSCF7146.JPG
DSCF7148.JPG
DSCF7147.JPG
20180307_221127.jpg
DSCF4770.JPG
DSCF7149.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 25 April 2019 17:37:57

BigGrin As usual stunning work Alan and I definitely agree with you that the brown that the instructions say to paint the hull in is hideous and certainly not in keeping with the real ship. The red brown stain you have used looks great Love well done m8 Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tigerace
#20 Posted : 25 April 2019 17:48:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The painting of those decorations are outstandingDrool love your work AlanBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!