Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<22232425>
Gandale's Vasa Build Options
goddo
#461 Posted : 23 June 2020 17:02:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Brilliant stuff, Alan. Almost there now.
Chris
birdaj2
#462 Posted : 23 June 2020 19:23:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan

That looks so good and all that tiny detail painting you have done looks so neat.

With my Harley finishing in the next couple of months i am tempted to Get this one while its still available (which hopefully it will be).

Would have been the surprise on a partworks basis but see that is out of stock And with artesania latina folding cannot see that becoming available again.

Hope the rest of it continues as well as it has so far.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#463 Posted : 24 June 2020 23:49:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

My thanks to all who've looked in and commented, very much appreciated... We're on the last leg now and hopefully this build will conclude in the next couple of days....Cool Cool

@Tony - she's a great kit to put together but does have its challenges. Not one for the feint hearted that's for sure but if you fancy hours and hours of painting tiny details then I'd certainly recommend it. If you do take it on then I'll certainly follow your progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#464 Posted : 25 June 2020 10:18:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale wrote:
My thanks to all who've looked in and commented, very much appreciated... We're on the last leg now and hopefully this build will conclude in the next couple of days....Cool Cool

@Tony - she's a great kit to put together but does have its challenges. Not one for the feint hearted that's for sure but if you fancy hours and hours of painting tiny details then I'd certainly recommend it. If you do take it on then I'll certainly follow your progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Its at the top of my list right now as its such a well known ship and seeing Your excellent build Has revealed just how detailed it is.

Thanks again

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Gandale
#465 Posted : 29 June 2020 12:31:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Stage 140 Contents: Flags, Barrel Chocks, Dummy Guns and Decorations

This has been a great kit to put together even though a vast amount of time and concentration was needed especially on preparing and painting the vast amount of decorations. A build I would recommend to all, especially if you like a challenge.... Now it is time to bring this build to its conclusion....

Take the two decorations C182 and C183 supplied with stage. Remove any flash or burrs and apply a coat of primer. When dry, paint the decorations as outlined in the instructions. Glue the two decorations to the front of the stem on the port and starboard sides.

Retrieve the six barrels you have left, stain with wood stain of your choice. When dry, paint the bands on the barrels black. Separate all the parts from the chock fret and clean up all the edges. Assemble the chocks to give you two in total ensuring everything is square. Once dry, paint both chock red. Now glue two barrels onto each chock. Now tie the barrels to the chocks with natural thread, passing the thread through the holes in the chocks.

Glue the two chocks to the deck, either side of the gratings, aft of the capstan. Glue the remaining two barrels to the deck, up against the bulwarks, forward of the main mast. Secure the barrels to the rails with natural thread.
Now prepare all the remaining dummy cannons and gun port lids in the same way as you have done for the others. Now fit the dummy guns and the gun port lids following the instructions in stage 138.

Prepare the buckets received in this stage in the same way as those in stage 68, you will need a total of 10 buckets. Glue the buckets to the deck, five on each side next to the shot boxes.

Retrieve the 4x4mm wooden strip and the 3mm dowel supplied in stage 129. You will also need parts FS1 and FS2 from the fret supplied with stage 126. Test-fit FS1 on the strip and adjust to fit if necessary. Cut a 50mm length of the strip and a 205mm length of dowel. Angle the ends of the strip to 70 degrees. Stain all the pieces with wood stain. Now glue the four pieces together as shown in step 24 of the instructions. Note, the flagpole will sit at an angle of 70 degrees from the base.

Tie a 5mm block to the top of the flagpole. Take the larger flag from the three supplied and remove the flag from the backing sheet. Place the flag down with the adhesive side facing up. Take a 600mm length of natural thread and place it into the centre of the flag. Press the ends of the flag together and shape around something round like an offcut of dowel. Press more of the flag together and shape on the other side. Proceed until both parts are completely together and the flag looks like its blowing in the wind. Pass the flag line through the 5mm block on the flagpole, then back down and tie both ends off to the flagpole and secure with glue. Glue the flagpole to the deck forward of the transom.

Prepare the second smaller flag in the same way, then tie a 5mm block to the top of bowsprit topmast. Tie the flag to the bowsprit topmast. Prepare the third flag and fit it on the main royal mast. The length of line used to tie this flag in place should be over twice the length of the full mast.

Now that the last flag is flying, this completes the Vasa Build...
Gandale attached the following image(s):
140-1.JPG
140-2.JPG
140-3.JPG
140-4.JPG
140-5.JPG
140-6.JPG
140-7.JPG
140-8.JPG
140-9.JPG
140-10.JPG
140-11.JPG
140-12.JPG
140-13.JPG
140-14.JPG
140-15.JPG
140-16.JPG
140-17.JPG
140-18.JPG
140-19.JPG
140-20.JPG
140-21.JPG
140-22.JPG
140-23.JPG
140-24.JPG
140-25.JPG
140-26.JPG
140-27.JPG
140-28.JPG
140-29.JPG
140-30.JPG
140-31.JPG
140-32.JPG
140-33.JPG
140-34.JPG
140-35.JPG
140-36.JPG
140-37.JPG
140-38.JPG
140-39.JPG
birdaj2
#466 Posted : 29 June 2020 12:48:18

Alan

You have turned out a cracking model.

Bit “sad” to see it all come to an end.

Looking forward to seeing what you take on next.

Tony
Happy Modelling

goddo
#467 Posted : 29 June 2020 18:15:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Alan,
Congratulations on a fantastic diary. I have been following this one from the beginning and it's very impressive.
Can't wait to see the next build beginning.
Chris
magpie1832
#468 Posted : 29 June 2020 19:04:47

Well done Alan looks fantastic, you've finally got there. Nice feeling finishing isn't it. I remember finishing the Soleil it was a relief after a long build. Nice to take on something new.

Wonder what it is you will do. Hmmmmmm

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#469 Posted : 30 June 2020 08:06:43

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments.....Cool Cool .. My next task is to get some work done on the Standart whilst deciding my next major project. All I'm certain of at this stage is my next build will NOT be a period ship, need to re-energise on something else.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#470 Posted : 30 June 2020 08:33:25

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

What can I say Alan, this has been a stunning build and a pleasure to follow throughout. From what I have seen this is not a build for the faint hearted, but has inspired me to have a go at a wooden ship build at some stage, although I will be looking at something simple to get me going.

Looks absolutely stunning.Love Love Love

Mark

CaptnBirdseye
#471 Posted : 30 June 2020 08:38:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Congratulations Alan on a build well done. Your boat builds are always first class, and a joy to follow. You must have your own 'Armada' by now Laugh

Looking forward to see what you take on next, after Standard ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
Schynige
#472 Posted : 30 June 2020 09:08:19

Stunning build Alan. It looks amazing. Well Done.
delboy271155
#473 Posted : 30 June 2020 09:10:53

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Absolutely stunning WTG.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jonny7england
#474 Posted : 30 June 2020 11:43:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a build!! An absolute blinder!! All that detail and the work that has been put into it!! I doff my cap to you Alan. Well worthy to win build of the year this one...Love
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Gandale
#475 Posted : 01 July 2020 09:28:46

Thanks guys, your comments have certainly been inspirational to me in finishing this challenging build. Always appreciated.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#476 Posted : 01 July 2020 09:39:12

Gandale wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind comments.....Cool Cool .. My next task is to get some work done on the Standart whilst deciding my next major project. All I'm certain of at this stage is my next build will NOT be a period ship, need to re-energise on something else.....Cool Cool
Regards Alan

Alan, what ever you decide to build will be an inspiration to us all I think.
Chris
tigerace
#477 Posted : 01 July 2020 11:34:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Having not seen this for a while i`m speechless Alan its a work of Art mate OutstandingLove Love ThumpUp ThumpUp cheer`s PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

alemo
#478 Posted : 01 July 2020 11:44:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic build Alan. What are you going to do now, watch out for withdrawal symptoms.

Well done, one to be very proud of.

Alec
Built: Bluenose, Arab Dhow, HMS Bounty, Hummer H1, D51, Spitfire,E type Jaguar.
In Progress: HMS Victory, , Yamaha YZR-M1

Adapt, improvise, overcome.
Gandale
#479 Posted : 03 July 2020 22:42:00

Phil, Alec, thanks for looking in and your very kind comments, always appreciated....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tf64
#480 Posted : 04 July 2020 11:32:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan,

This again says it all, this is a truly wonderful build as with your Sots build, also I would like to congratulate on the way you have written your build Diary first class work.

Very well done.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).