Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ratline Patten Options
Jake2012
#1 Posted : 18 April 2019 03:35:59

Groups: Registered

Greetings! I recently opened my pack 11 and the ratline pattern was missing. I have a call into customer service, but in the meantime I was wondering if there is someplace I could download the pattern or if anyone might be able to email them to me. Just checking as it seems that I may be waiting for a while for customer service to get back to me. Thanks!
Gandale
#2 Posted : 18 April 2019 11:18:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jake, are you based in the UK?

Regards

Alan
Jake2012
#3 Posted : 18 April 2019 11:35:22

Hi Alan,

I’m in the US.

Jake
Gandale
#4 Posted : 18 April 2019 12:11:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jake, thanks for the response... In all honesty, you don't really need the templates, each of the individual ratlines are set 5mm apart and are easy to do, albeit a little time consuming. You may also find this topic useful...

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=9083

That said, if you really feel you need the templates then send me your postal address and I'll send the ones I have. Ensure you send your address via PM and not post in open forum.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Jake2012
#5 Posted : 18 April 2019 12:16:55

Alan,

Thank you. Your information is very helpful. Knowing that the spacing is 5 mm, I can make my own template as a guide.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jake
Gandale
#6 Posted : 18 April 2019 12:19:15

Happy to help Jake, good luck with them.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Iminaright2an8
#7 Posted : 15 June 2019 18:27:55

I'm just on issue 101 and agree that the templates are not that important the ratlines are just spaced 5 mm apart. What's got me stumped is the magazine's suggestion on how to fit the ratlines - using a needle to thread them through the shrouds? The lower ones are 0.8 mm thick which might just be possible but the upper ones are only 0.5 mm..half a millimetre! for a first time builder like myself that's just impossible. The video in the link suggested by Gandale in post 4 of this thread looks to be a far better way of doing the ratlines. Thanks for the link.
nightwisher
#8 Posted : 15 June 2019 22:27:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It takes longer but gives a much better result than the needle method
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 15 June 2019 22:33:03

BigGrin Knot them every time takes longer but it looks right and you can control the sag so it looks correctDrool Drool Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Iminaright2an8
#10 Posted : 23 June 2019 22:56:18

Thanks for the tips, I've made a start on the ratlines and for me the clove hitch knot method is definitely the way to go. It is time consuming but you get into a routine and it becomes almost therapeutic! I did try the needle method but I made a right mess of it, getting the point of the needle through the middle of the shroud was tough but trying to get the eye of the needle through was impossible.. thanks again for the advice.
Gandale
#11 Posted : 23 June 2019 23:03:21

Iminaright2an8 wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I've made a start on the ratlines and for me the clove hitch knot method is definitely the way to go. It is time consuming but you get into a routine and it becomes almost therapeutic! I did try the needle method but I made a right mess of it, getting the point of the needle through the middle of the shroud was tough but trying to get the eye of the needle through was impossible.. thanks again for the advice.

Know what you mean about using a needle to thread through the shrouds. I used a sewing thimble and a pair of long nosed pliers, not the best method but can be done with care. Clove hitch knot method certainly looks more authentic....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Iminaright2an8
#12 Posted : 21 July 2019 19:58:29

One advantage I found in not using the templates in position was that I could get my fingers behind the shrouds making it a lot easier to form the clove hitch knots...but oh my...those knots..1000's of them..I swear i dreamt about them once! It wasn't for me but I can now understand and appreciate why the magazine suggested an easier and faster method. Anyway all done onwards and upwards! BigGrin
goddo
#13 Posted : 23 July 2019 23:24:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Iminaright2an8 wrote:

I did try the needle method but I made a right mess of it, getting the point of the needle through the middle of the shroud was tough but trying to get the eye of the needle through was impossible..

On my last model, I used the needle method to make the ratlines and I found that if you get some beading needles from someone like Amazon, they pass through the shrouds much easier. I am intending to knot the ratlines on Victory mainly because I think it looks better, as others have said above.