Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Miffed poor quality Options
Ant62
#1 Posted : 21 April 2019 11:59:29

Groups: Registered

The other day i finally plucked up the courage to start on the planking etc

I started using the planks in box 3 and soaked a couple for the bending so i decided to look at the rest of the planks and im rather miffed tbh..

I emptied the pins into a little cup for easier picking up and quite a lot where rusty..

Then sorting through planks i had 8 that where so warped out of 2pks they are unusable..

I havent opened the other packets with planks in as i didnt have time....

Rather miffed..
Building.
HMS Victory.....
Corel Albatross 1840......Completed
Hindenberg Zepplin museum piece..Completed
Artesian Latina Sopwith Camel.....Completed
Bismark.........
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 21 April 2019 16:12:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Its one of things you can find when working with natural materials such as wood.

Storing these sort of kits for any length of time can also cause some issues with changes in temperature and humidity.

The nails i would not be to concerned about but in terms of the wood strips would you be able to use them if you soaked in warm water to make them pliable. A wet plank can be coerced into all sorts of shapes and when dry retains the shape.

If things are really bad you could try customer services to see if they can replace the faulty packs. And while not ideal if you have already paid out money you can get these basswood strips fairly cheaply from numerous sources.

If you are able to post some pictures then please do as there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and usually some good resolutions to kit issues surface.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach