Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Revell 1/72 Boeing B17G Flying Fortress Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 22 April 2019 19:08:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Revell B17 I'm going to try and do this as a cutaway model, first thing I notice(planes are not my normal thing) checking on photos of the real thing the callout colourwise for the bomb bay (which is the first part on the instructions is wrong) it says the bombs are olive green which is what I've done them and when I look at pics of the bombs they are a medium green not the nearly black as you can see from the pics, the olive green I've done them (I'm using Vallejo air paints ) also they have yellow banding which seems to vary according to which picture you look at, some have 3 bands in the middle some have one in the middle others have one at the tip and a silver tip in front of that. I wouldn't normally worry too much about that but if I'm doing this as a cutaway it needs to be more accurate, help please.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 22 April 2019 19:33:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi there Ken

Hope all is well with you.

Banding tended to show what the bomb actually was ie high explosive, incendary etc etc.

Here is a really good link were you can print off a bomb chart that may help you. Contains details of colors etc etc.

http://www.303rdbg.com/bombs.html

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 22 April 2019 19:54:29

Thanks mate
kpnuts
#4 Posted : 28 April 2019 19:07:36

Hi all bit more done to this, trying out some aluminium foil on the inside to see the effect before I try it on the outside, i must say I think it looks quite good.

Gandale
#5 Posted : 28 April 2019 22:51:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Ken, very nice detailing being applied.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 03 May 2019 20:19:45

Hi all well made more progress on the interior, loads more to do (there's a lot of detail in this kit) I'm wondering wether to add some lighting to the internals, its quite dark even without adding the side with the cut outs in.

Done some of the exterior paint ( not my best work as I'm using a brush since my compressor is dead)

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 04 May 2019 19:12:05

Coming along well there Ken.

Interesting looking at thisone to see just how few bombs it carried for the risks that had to take.

I guess you would not want to be on the receiving end though.

Hope it continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 04 May 2019 19:18:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well done there Ken.
You frequently inspire me to do something different.

I too, am not by nature a 'wingy-thing' person but seeing this brings back vague distant memories of when I was about 10 years old and built my first Airfix kit.
In those days, I built nearly anything.
I very much remember the Airfix Phantom, and a few of the twin-boom planes.

I think I just might go looking for something.

Roy.
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 04 May 2019 19:34:41

Thanks Tony,Roy. Yes Tony they carried a tiny amount compared to the RAF (apparently the Lancaster routinely carried double the payload of the B17s biggest payload)
Give it a go Roy, not being a plane man myself I can't really recommend any kit but this one (so far anyway) seems to be pretty good.
Gandale
#10 Posted : 05 May 2019 13:00:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great Ken, turning in to be a beautiful build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 05 May 2019 18:38:04

Thanks Alan
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 05 May 2019 19:44:08

Not long to go before you seal it all up.

Are you planning to put this on any sort of base ?

Tony
Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#13 Posted : 06 May 2019 19:09:32

Is there any way of getting rid of the white stuff you get with superglue, I ask because I'm trying to do the belly turret on the plane which is moulded in clear I'm using Revell clear glue and it just keeps coming apart when I'm handling it whilst trying to paint it (incidentally how do you manage that it's almost impossible I've had to take it off a load of times as the paint seeps under the masking tape and my hands arnt steady enough to do it free hand) anyway i was thinking of gluing it with superglue if I could get rid of the white vapour stuff you get with it.
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 06 May 2019 20:18:22

superglue vapour does sometimes form a powder that will just rub off but when it comes to clear parts you have to be careful as it more or less "etches" itself into those parts.

Your working 1:72 which is small but wondered if you might want to try cutting black decal film or possible black painted thin masking tape and using strips wide enough as the glazing bars put that on the ball turret.

You could then varnish over to seal the tape/decal film in place.

I know Hannants used to sell solid decal sheet colours in the various ranges they stock.

not sure the width of the first one here but might help

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOASS02C

or this one as it has various line widths so you would not even have to cut strips from a solid sheet

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XPS1

For Gluing those parts together I would ditch the superglue and maybe try something like this which is purpose designed:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HUC5708

Tony

Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#15 Posted : 06 May 2019 21:15:02

Thanks mate.
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 08 May 2019 20:42:25

Hi all well I've finished the interior and closed it up, trying foil on the silver part of it I figure doing the panels individually may look more realistic (that remains to be seen)

kpnuts
#17 Posted : 10 May 2019 20:16:06

Let me tell you foiling something like this is no easy task, it's only that I think it looks ok that I'm continuing (put me off planes again) the bit where the wings connect was a real pita (Still not that happy with it) can't see how to make it better, I'm hoping the wings will be easier.

There's a lot of detail on the inside of the clear parts which I can't see the point of since when painted you can't see it (I suppose it's another part of building planes) I was really looking forward to the 1/24 Airfix mosquito (was going to ask for it as a birthday prezzie) 
Gandale
#18 Posted : 10 May 2019 22:24:39

Think this is coming along very nicely indeed Ken, you're doing a great job with the foil.... Very well done for sticking with it.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#19 Posted : 18 May 2019 19:41:08

Well I'm definitely not going to be any good at planes (will stick to genres I'm more in tune with) (what I don't understand is why planes are so difficult)give me an engine on a bike or car an I can do a half decent job of it, I've worked with them most of my life so know how they should look(maybe that's why the plane engines looks so bad, never even seen one let alone worked on one.

birdaj2
#20 Posted : 19 May 2019 11:14:56

Ken

Don't let it stop you having a go.

What you have to think is all the bits you have learnt along the way and some of the techniques you have tried.

Aircraft kits can be a bit dis-heartening sometimes - especially when you put heart and soul into all the internal details then you button it all up and think "why did I bother doing all of that"

I can see your point with cars planes and bikes because most of the detail you add into those is still visiable when all is done.

Been interesting watching you on this one Ken so I would say fair play to you for sharing this one and your thoughts.

Tony
Happy Modelling