Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Kev's Aerotech 1:32 Supermarine S.6b (1931) 'Schneider Trophy' Racer Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 05 May 2019 15:37:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I have been after one of these kits for a few years, and finally, I am over the moon at taking ownership of one! Released in 2011 by Marsh Models - which is based about 10 miles from where I live - this kit was produced in very limited numbers of just 50. Mine is one of the early ones being kit number 5/50 and they are not cheap, even now on the second-hand market!

The kit consists of some beautifully cast and very finely detailed resin parts (the two floats are solid resin and very weighty) along with a good number of white metal parts, again beautifully cast plus some PE steel and PE brass sheets for the finer details. A beaching trolley is included. A nice sheet of decals is included, though on the real aircraft markings are minimal and most of them I will likely mask and spray anyway rather than use the kit decals. A basic but very nicely printed instruction sheet along with a colour and decal placement sheet is included, along with a 'Certificate of Authenticity' which gives a brief history of the Schneider Trophy events and a number for the Limited Edition (5/50)

I am itching to make a start on this so watch this space in the next week or two for my first update. I will of course be continuing with my other forum builds as well.

Photos below show the kit contents.

Kev Smile
Kev the Modeller attached the following image(s):
DSCF1798.JPG
DSCF1799.JPG
DSCF1800.JPG
DSCF1801.JPG
DSCF1802.JPG
DSCF1803.JPG
DSCF1804.JPG
DSCF1805.JPG
DSCF1806.JPG
DSCF1807.JPG
DSCF1808.JPG
DSCF1810.JPG
DSCF1811.JPG
DSCF1812.JPG
DSCF1813.JPG
DSCF1814.JPG
DSCF1815.JPG
DSCF1816.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 05 May 2019 17:37:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I do like resin kits and this looks a a cracker. I bet your going to enjoy building this kit I know I wouldCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Kev the Modeller
#3 Posted : 05 May 2019 22:48:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for looking in and your comments Andy, much appreciated. I will enjoy building this kit immensely as the Schneider Trophy races are one of my all-time favourite aviation subjects and in particular the Supermarine racers! Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 06 May 2019 00:10:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Wil you be using Alclads or other paints to get the silver bullet finish KevCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#5 Posted : 06 May 2019 09:54:36

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Sounds like you're a real happy bunny getting your hands on this one Kev....BigGrin BigGrin .. Am sure it'll turn out to be a cracker by the time you're done with it... Good luck with the build, will be following all the way.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 06 May 2019 10:03:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looks like a great kit.
I'd be inclined to use chrome BMF to get the finish you want.

Here's my little Airfix Mustang - finished with BMF...

roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1010064.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 06 May 2019 12:24:25

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Will you be using Alclads or other paints to get the silver bullet finish KevCool

Hi Andy and thanks for looking in.ThumpUp

Undecided as yet Andy, will be doing some tests to try and find the correct shade for the silver areas before I commit. Looking at my Alclad paints, so far these are the possible candidates:

ALC-101 Aluminium ... looks a pretty good match.

ALC-102 Duraluminium ... a lot of duraluminium was used in the construction of the S6B apparently, but the aircraft was then painted in a lighter shade of silver. The Alclad Duraluminium looks a bit too dark compared to colour photos of the originals in the Science and Solent Sky museums, but will see when tested?

ALC-105 Polished Aluminium ... looks quite good but possibly a little too chromey?

ALC-119 Airframe Aluminium ... again looks quite close but maybe a teeny bit too dark?

I could custom mix from the various shades but would need to make a good volume of it to avoid mismatches on touch-ups, etc.

Another possibilty is Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf, which is a good representation of 'High Speed Silver' when finished with a coat of Johnsons Klear?

I used this on my build of the Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.22 (the full size aircraft were finished in HSS), which can be found here:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=21626

What do you think?

The Supermarine blue I am still thinking about.

Thanks for your interest and comments Andy, much appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#8 Posted : 06 May 2019 12:29:14

Gandale wrote:
Sounds like you're a real happy bunny getting your hands on this one Kev....BigGrin BigGrin .. Am sure it'll turn out to be a cracker by the time you're done with it... Good luck with the build, will be following all the way.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments Alan, always greatly appreciated. I am indeed a very happy bunny!Drool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#9 Posted : 06 May 2019 12:38:57

roymattblack wrote:
Looks like a great kit.
I'd be inclined to use chrome BMF to get the finish you want.

Hi Roy, thanks for looking in and your input, greatly appreciated. I see where you're coming from, but the foil is too chrome I think? The real aircraft sported a silver paint and was not bare metal finish, so I don't think foil would look correct. I have included a photo of the S.6B in the Solent Sky Museum where you can see it is more silver than chrome or baremetal? :

https://c8.alamy.com/com...e-solent-sky-C4EFF7.jpg

Nice model of the mustang by the way and you did a good job of the bare metal foil. I didn't think you made aircraft models, just cars - you should build more aircraft, they look good! Cool ThumpUp

I have previously built the same model as yours and posted it in the Finished Build Gallery back in 2015 when I was posting as 'Modelmania' - a great little kit! I used ordinary 'el cheapo' (very thin!) aluminium kitchen foil and 'Microscale Foil Adhesive'. You can find it here:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=17481

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#10 Posted : 05 June 2019 10:28:44

Hello all,

Time to make a start on this build, a bit later than I intended, and apologies to anyone who was waiting to see a start but work and life (mainly work!) just got in the way since I put up the opening post. This is turning out to be a lovely kit to build even though working in mostly resin and white metal has it's own challenges, but very much enjoyable - I intend to build more of these, they are great fun!

Photos will explain what has been done so far. Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
DSCF1817.JPG
DSCF1818.JPG
DSCF1820.JPG
DSCF1819.JPG
DSCF1827.JPG
DSCF1829.JPG
DSCF1831.JPG
DSCF1841.JPG
DSCF1835.JPG
DSCF1836.JPG
DSCF1858.JPG
DSCF1861.JPG
DSCF1832.JPG
DSCF1833.JPG
DSCF1853.JPG
DSCF1845.JPG
DSCF1847.JPG
DSCF1850.JPG
DSCF1851.JPG
DSCF1852.JPG
DSCF1856.JPG
DSCF1857.JPG
DSCF1854.JPG
DSCF1855.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 05 June 2019 17:21:35

BigGrin Nice start and looking good. I do like resin kits and have several in the stash to bring out in the futureCool

darbyvet
#12 Posted : 06 June 2019 17:27:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks goods so far kev. I cant believe how thick those body parts are.I am amazed you dont have any warpage with those parts.probably going to be a heavy model once finished.

Carl

tf64
#13 Posted : 06 June 2019 17:38:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev,

Good start to,what a wonderful model and going by the parts I am sure you will build a super model,Kev am I correct in thinking that it was placed on the pier at Southampton for many years until it was put into Southampton museum.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 06 June 2019 20:39:18

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Nice start and looking good. I do like resin kits and have several in the stash to bring out in the futureCool

Thanks for looking in and your comments Andy, very much appreciated as always. Since buying this kit I have purchased another Aerotech 1:32 'Schneider Trophy' plane, the Supermarine S4, which is widely viewed as one of the most beautiful aircraft to be built and very radical for it's time, being built as far back as 1924 and a mid wing monoplane with NO bracing wires - way ahead of it's time!

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#15 Posted : 06 June 2019 20:43:23

darbyvet wrote:
Looks goods so far kev. I cant believe how thick those body parts are.I am amazed you dont have any warpage with those parts.probably going to be a heavy model once finished.

Carl

Thanks for looking in and your comments Carl, greatly appreciated as always. Cool ThumpUp

Actually, don't be too amazed as the fuselage halves DO have some warpage, I just haven't got to the stage of the build where I'd show it, but here's a preview just for you - time to get that hot water and clamps ready! Blink

It does have a nice weight to it too! ThumpUp

Kev Smile

DSCF1843.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#16 Posted : 06 June 2019 21:05:52

tf64 wrote:
Hi Kev,

Good start to,what a wonderful model and going by the parts I am sure you will build a super model,Kev am I correct in thinking that it was placed on the pier at Southampton for many years until it was put into Southampton museum.

Regards

Trev.

Hi Trev, lovely to hear from you again and thanks for your kind comments always appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

In answer to your question mate, there was indeed a Schneider Trophy race plane at the end of the Royal Pier in Southampton. It was placed there in 1958, the year before I was born and I do remember seeing it when I was a 9-10 year old, as I was born and bred in Hythe a small town just across the water from Southampton. It was indeed moved to the RJ Mitchell Museum (in 1970) where it still resides to this day though the museum is now renamed as 'The Solent Sky' museum.

However, the aircraft that I describe above is not the exact same aircraft as my kit which is a Supermarine S.6b and will be modelled as the aircraft that was piloted by Flt Lt John Boothman to win the Schneider Trohy outright for Great Britain in the 1931 race, and which was registered as S.1595. That aircraft is now in the Science Museum in London. The aircraft that was on Southampton Royal Pier was thought to be that aircraft (S.1595) for many years but it became apparent in 1970 (when it was moved to the RJ Mitchell museum) that it was in fact not an S.6b but in fact an S.6a and had been flown as aircraft N.248 by the RAF 'High Speed Flight' team in preparation for the Schneider Trophy races. The S.6a was a modification of the earlier S.6 and which had been fitted with a more powerful engine. It was used both as a training aircraft and support plane during the Schneider races, as a standby in case of any reliability issues with the latest S.6b's.

Hope that helps Trev? ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 06 June 2019 21:38:33

Kev the Modeller wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

Thanks for looking in and your comments Andy, very much appreciated as always. Since buying this kit I have purchased another Aerotech 1:32 'Schneider Trophy' plane, the Supermarine S4, which is widely viewed as one of the most beautiful aircraft to be built and very radical for it's time, being built as far back as 1924 and a mid wing monoplane with NO bracing wires - way ahead of it's time!

Kev Smile

Hi Kev

Those warps should come out quite nicely with the hot water method,all part of the fun and challenges of resin kits.

I agree the S4 is a very nice aircraft but there are earlyer aircraft that were single wing without bracing wires like the newly released Junkers D.1 from WNW and the Brandenburg W29 although the Brandenburg had some minimal bracing wires to the floats but non to the wings.

Link to junkers D.1

http://www.wingnutwings..../product?productid=3180

Links to Brandenburg W29-

http://www.wingnutwings..../product?productid=3000

I have both the W12 and the W29 kits its one of my all time favorite floatplane aircraft, ugly but strangly atractive with a lethal look not captured until WW2 and the introduction of FW'S butcher bird.

AndyCool

darbyvet
#18 Posted : 06 June 2019 22:00:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yeah that warp isnt bad at all.Really nice looking castings.Will be following this build

Carl

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 07 June 2019 07:36:25

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start Kev.Love nice kit, will be following with interest.

Mark
Gandale
#20 Posted : 07 June 2019 08:32:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking good Kev, am sure you'll be able to resolve any problems the kit will present.... Look forward to seeing your next update.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan