Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
Tony's "Fat Boy" Build Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 08 July 2019 22:20:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work indeed Tony, looking fab....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#22 Posted : 09 July 2019 08:23:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That certainly is a lot of chrome to polish!

It's looking really impressive. Well done.
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 09 July 2019 11:00:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Many thanks everyone.

Its not a quick build but i guess that is really down to how i subscribed over a longer period.

Been looking ahead on the official build and in around another 2 packs time much of the collected and stored parts start to get assembled so looking forward to that.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#24 Posted : 04 August 2019 14:08:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MONDAY 04th AUGUST 2019 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 9

If there is one recommendation, I would offer to anyone contemplating building this one its sort the screws as they arrive in each pack.

You get screws in some issues that are not used for some time so 1 – you need to make sure you do not loose them.

You also need to be aware that unlike some of the other builds the screws are not on the whole individually bagged by type.

You do get a screw identification pack but what I found this time around was pulling the correct screws from several different sets that we have been building up over the months.

STAGE 28 – FITTING THE BRAKE CABLE BRACKET

PICTURE 1

In this stage we get the Rocker Covers, Bracket for the Horn, and a type “K” screw.

All of these parts are stored away for use in some future stage.

PICTURES 2-5

In this stage we are asked to “Find these Parts” – Front Fender, a Type “B” screws from stage 2 and the Brake Cable Bracket from Stage 27.

Nothing complicated here just a case of screwing the bracket onto the fender ensuring the screw goes through the shorter tab on the bracket.

As before tighten just enough for the screw to hold and don’t overdo it.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#25 Posted : 04 August 2019 14:12:45

STAGE 29 – FITTING THE FRONT LEFT FORK

PICTURE 6 & 7

In this stage we get half of the Transmission Case and 3 type “F” screws.
Intriguing as there are 2 switch buttons already mounted inside this part but there are no wires coming from them so looking forward to seeing what these are there for.

As before this part s stored away until a future stage call s for it to be used.

PICTURE 8

The left front fork needed to have its calliper fitted. I had left this from a previous stage as the fork was all nicely sealed up against damage and I wanted it to remain that way.

So, the first thing was to revert back to an earlier stage and fit the calliper with a type “A” screw.

PICTURES 9 & 10

We now need to “find” 2 type “A” screws and left fork to the fender using these. The type “A” screws have an allen key head (no 2 size) so you will need access to one of these in order to fit them.
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#26 Posted : 04 August 2019 14:15:52

STAGE 30 – FITTING THE RIGHT FRONT FORK

PICTURES 11 – 13

In this stage we get a storage box with divisions to store screws and small parts. We also get the Drive belt.

Again, the drive belt is stored away (in the supplied box (until required at a later stage.

PICTURES 14, 15 & 16

We need another 2 type “A” screws and this is where I got myself “confused”. Stage 2 had 4 of these but we have used 1 for the brake calliper, 2 for the left-hand fork leaving 1.

I search through all of the other stored packs and came across another set of screws with 1 type “A” so have used that one. There does not appear to be any other section so far supplied that has this particular screw.

All we then need to do is align the pin on the fork with the hole in the fender (this sets the correct angle) and then screw the piece into place.

On my right fork (picture 15) it does have some light scratching.

Not sure if I should try and polish this out. I do have a set of Micromesh but do not want to alter the finish by wither over polishing or rubbing through the paint so will have to think on that one.

And that is all they have use do in PACK 9 of the build.

11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#27 Posted : 04 August 2019 23:01:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along beautifully John, excellent work and first class diary too....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#28 Posted : 05 August 2019 08:44:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I can only continue to be amazed at the size of this thing.
It's looking really great. Keep it coming.

Roy.
birdaj2
#29 Posted : 05 August 2019 09:13:16

Alan/Roy

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I agree on the size Roy. When the parts arrive its difficult to gauge the size but no its getting into the proper build sections it is going to be very big.

Looking forward to the next pack as i think we start putting the engine together.

It really is a very nice model and if time is limited its a really easy one to keep pace with.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#30 Posted : 05 August 2019 10:20:04

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Tony. Love The screws were similar to the Easy Rider I built, and was much bigger than I anticipated it would be when I finished. Both look to be impressive kits.Love

Mark
birdaj2
#31 Posted : 08 September 2019 17:07:44

SUNDAY 08th SEPTEMBER 2019 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 10

We are at the stage now that some of the previous collected parts start to come together and its now that you really start to appreciate just how big this model is going to be and also just how much it’s going to weigh.

PICTURE 1

In the pack 10 instructions we get a “Correction Sheet” advising we should expect a change to the circuit board that will be supplied in a future issue.

Might seem off to include this now but I thought it a good idea as being “for warned is being for armed” so no chance of being so keen to press on and use the circuit board without being aware of the changes.

STAGE 31 – FITTING THE DRIVE BELT COVER

PICTURE 2

In this stage we get the Drive-Belt Cover.

PICTURES 3 & 4

We also need to recover the left side Swingarm and 2 Type C screws. Its worth retaining the pack header boards as we see here in Picture 3 as it makes sorting through and finding parts so much easier.

PICTURES 5 & 6

The swingarm and drive belt cover are screwed together using the 2 Type C screws.

This part is then stored away until needed again at some future date.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#32 Posted : 08 September 2019 17:12:55

STAGE 32 – THE FRONT WHEEL

PICTURE 7

IN this stage we get the front wheel and what you do notice is just how heavy this part is – not something you would want to drop on your toe.

PICTURES 8 & 9

Its really important to read the instructions so you understand the left and right side of the wheel. Picture 8 is the left side were the arrowed projection is recessed into the wheel.

The right side of the wheel (Picture 9) is were the projection is flush with the wheel side.

PICTURES 10 & 11

For this stage we also need the tyre from Stage 1 and the wheel parts supplied in Stage 23 along with the 2 Type F screws from Stage 23.

PICTURE 12

When fitting the Front Brake Disc Mount its important to ensure the screw holes in this parts line up correctly with the tabs in the wheel as can be seen here by the arrows. This is quite a tight fit.

PICTURE 13

Once its all screwed together the wheel assemble can be put away safely until its call for again in a future stage.
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 08 September 2019 17:16:51

STAGE 33 – CONNECTING THE CYLINDERS

PICTURE 14

Getting myself “confused” with the screws in this kit. Here we are told to expect 1 Type F Screw but the bag included in this stage has 5 mixed screws in the bag.

PICTURES 15 & 16

In this stage we get the Left Foot Rest and The Cylinder Mounting Bracket

PICTURES 17 & 18

We are also told we need 2 x Type E Screws but the picture in the instructions shows these as being Silver screws while in fact the Type F is supplied as a Black screw. It’s worth keeping to hand the screw identification pack that was supplied early on with this build.

PICTURES 19 & 20

We now need all 4-cylinder halves supplied in earlier stages.
While they all look very similar what is nice is the fact each part is identified with 2 letters: “FR” front right, “RR” Rear Right and so on.

PICTURES 21 & 22

We line up the right and left section and having inserted the Cylinder Bracket the top halves of the cylinders are put in place and secures by the 2 Type E screws.

And that is all they have use do in PACK 10 of the build.
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#34 Posted : 08 September 2019 22:30:11

Another great update Tony, now the assembly can really get going.... Look forward to seeing your next update....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#35 Posted : 09 September 2019 07:16:08

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on very nicely Tony, great build diary.Love Drool

Mark
birdaj2
#36 Posted : 27 October 2019 14:12:44

SUNDAY 27th OCTOBER 2019 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 11

Little later this month with my build update and that is down to some issues with the parts supplied this month. That in itself would not be too much of an issue as they should in theory be replaceable but my big concern was some information customer services told me.
I was told that they have no spares for this item and it was even suggested they might not have enough parts reserved to allow this build to complete.

I was told to email CS asking if this is indeed the case and also what they intend to do about replacements parts and UK CS would pass this query to the office in Italy.

That was over 2 weeks ago and so far, I have not had any reply to my query.

I will follow this up on Monday and hope for a positive outcome I can report on my next update.

Anyhow for this month here we go:

STAGE 34 – ENGINE MOUNTING

PICTURE 1 & 2

In this stage we get the Left half of the frame and a selection of screws.

And its with this part that I have one of the issues.

While the frame is padded with foam in certain places the piece, I received has a number of very deep chips in the pain finish.

Not an issue if that area is going to be covered with another part but in my case, there are a number of these that will be visible on the finished model.

PICTURES 3, 4 & 5

At this point this part is not used and we are asked to recover the Two Cylinders, 2 crankcase halves and the tubular frame structure from previous issues.

PICTURE 6

We are told to fit the 2 holes in the Tubular Frame Structure over the 2 posts arrowed in this picture.

PICTURES 7 & 8
I found that it was necessary to open up the holes slightly using a small file as the paint was preventing a proper fit of this part.
What we need to ensure is the part sits right down on the post tops as shown in Picture 8.

PICTURES 9 & 10

We then fit the cylinders into one half of the crankcase ensuring we are following the instructions closely to get these the correct way around.

Again, when joining the 2 halves of the crankcase together I notice that the cylinders had not bedded down far enough in the crankcase halves so again (Picture 10) it was necessary to just rub down some of the paint to get an ideal fit.

PICTURES 11, 12 & 13

We then take 2 x “F” type screws and join together the 2 halves of the crankcase through the holes (picture 12) arrowed.

Final result is a very substantial piece of the model both in terms of its size and weight.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#37 Posted : 27 October 2019 14:19:59

STAGE 35 – FITTING THE ROCKER COVERS

PICTURES 14, 14A, 15 & 16

In tis stage we get the Right Footrest, Type F Screw and Horn Cover.

Again, with this stage some issues. The “Rubber” footrest has become dislodged from its foot support. Seem the glue used to hold this in place (from the white residue) is super glue.

Not a major issue to put this one back together but slightly disappointing to receive a “broken” part.

Slightly more of a concern is the Horn Cover as this has a damaged chrome finish as can be seen in Picture 14A As to just how visible this will be on the finished model I am not sure but in terms of getting a replacement part as already mentioned at this stage that does not seem to be an option.

One other minor point is that this stage refers to just 1 x F screw (Picture 15) being supplied by the actual bag (Picture 16) contains a mix of screws. We do appear to have a Type “F” amongst these so not a major issue.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

We are asked to recover the Rocker Covers and Horn Bracket from stage 28.

The Rocker Covers are just a press fit into the Cylinder Head but we need to be careful here as there is a large and small diameter pin on the cover that need to be matched to a large and small hold in the cylinder head.

On mine one fitted fine (just needs some firm pressure) but the second was an extremely tight fit and as the pins are plastic, I did not want to use undue force and break the pin.

So, with this one I just eased back some of the paint from the hole using a small round file and found this resolved the fit issue.
Pictures 18 and 19 show the result once these 2 parts are in place.

PICTURES 20 & 21

We now fit the Horn Cover onto the Horn Bracket and again in this case its just a press fit to get this part into place.
14..JPG
14A..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#38 Posted : 27 October 2019 14:25:54

STAGE 36 – FITTING THE CARBURETTOR AND HORN

PICTURE 22

In this stage we get a selection of screws and a plastic cover as well as the circuit board and the Headlight Mount.

None of these parts are required in this section and are stored away in a safe place until a future stage of the build.

PICTURE 23

We are asked to recover the Carburettor from and earlier stage and to also the horn assemble we worked on in the previous stage.

PICTURES 24, 25 & 26

We press the horn assemble onto the mounting on the cylinder assemble. This is then screwed into place (picture 25) using a type “F” screw.

Still a bit concerned about the damage to the chrome finish (picture 26). Hopefully I can get this replaced at some point.

I know there is a very good Chrome Pen you can buy but rather not have to start spending extra to correct a faulty kit part.

PICTURES 27 & 28

The last part of this months assemble sees the Carburettor onto the cylinder assemble. This is fitted in place using a Type “F” screw through the hole you can see in Picture 27.

The hose on this part does not stand out in the instructions so in terms of how to route it the most logical point at this stage was to run it between the cylinders as seen in Picture 28.

PICTURE 29

And at the end of this months assemble this is how it all looks. Its getting larger and heavier but sadly this months set of parts have not been without issue and I finish this month concerned with the information CS gave me.
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#39 Posted : 27 October 2019 23:44:37

All looking good Tony, very nice work...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#40 Posted : 28 October 2019 09:23:25

Nice work Tony, coming together nicely.Love

Mark