Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
Tony's "Fat Boy" Build Options
Gandale
#61 Posted : 19 January 2020 00:32:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great Tony, lovely progress being made....Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#62 Posted : 19 January 2020 10:12:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks Alan

Its good of you to leave me a comment.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#63 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:27:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MONDAY 10th February 2020 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 15

A very quick assemble this time but that tends to be the way of things. There are build sections that take up a lot more time but occasionally the breakdown of parts gives us less to be doing.

STAGE 47 – MOUNTING THE INDICATOR

PICTURE 1

In this stage we get:

The Brake Pedal
The Support
The Foot Rest
The Spring
1 x Type F Screw
The Front Fender Harley Davidson Plaque

PICTURES 2 & 3

While this section is described as “mounting the indicator” and the instructions show just that, we do not actually get the indicator until Stage 48.

So, for now all we do is store the supplied parts away until some future time calls for their use.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#64 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:32:27

STAGE 48 – THE REAR LEFT INDICATOR

PICTURE 4

In this stage we get:

The Rear Left Indicator and its Bracket

Again, the build instructions are “confusing” here as we receive the left-hand indicator but the build instructions call out stage 50 (not yet received) and cover the fitting of the Right Indicator.

Just be aware that for the build instructions for Stage 48 refer back to the details provided in Stage 47 😊

PICTURES 5, 6 & 7

The cables from the indicator lamp need to feed down the channel arrowed in pics 5 & 6.

All we then need to do is pull the wires through and press the indicator into the hole in the bracket.

PICTURE 8

We then need to go and find the rear fender.

PICTURE 9

We then feed the cable from the indicator through the hole in the rear fender.

PICTURE 10

The indicator bracket is press fitted using the pins in the bracket into the 3 holes in the fender.

This is a nice tight fit so care should be exercised when press fitting in place so that the plastic pegs are not broken off.

PICTURE 11

And when in place this is what the rear fender looks like.

We now need to store this safely away making sure the indicator light is protected so that it is not snapped off in storage.
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#65 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:37:37

STAGE 49 – THE REAR BRAKE

PICTURE 12

In this Stage we get:

Rear Brake Caliper
The Radiator
Brake Cable Cover

PICTURES 13 & 14

The instructions tell you to slip the brake cable cover over the brake cable but in the parts I received this was already in place.

PICTURE 15

We need to extract the Right half of the Swing Arm and 1 x type C screw from an earlier pack.

PICTURES 16, 17 & 18

The rear brake caliper fits over the green arrowed point on the swing arm and will be secured with the 1 x Type C screw through Blue arrowed hold in Picture 16.

Picture 17 is the hole in the caliper that the screw fits through.

Once fitted (Picture 18) we can store all of the parts safely away until the next pack arrives.

12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#66 Posted : 11 February 2020 00:49:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another superb update from you Tony with great results being produced....Drool Drool .. Keep the pics coming, loving the presentation....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#67 Posted : 11 February 2020 02:14:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

looks great

Carl

Markwarren
#68 Posted : 11 February 2020 08:42:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great work Tony, coming together very nicely.Love Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#69 Posted : 11 February 2020 09:12:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another great update. It really is becoming an impressive monster!
birdaj2
#70 Posted : 11 February 2020 09:29:24

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement.

It certainly is taking on some shape and weight now.

Next few packs get interesting as we start to put some of the bigger assemblies together so looking forward to that.

Tony
Happy Modelling

tf64
#71 Posted : 11 February 2020 16:11:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is turning into a great build Tony,I do build plastic bikes myself so I can see and appreciate the work you are putting to "Fat Boy"

Well done

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

birdaj2
#72 Posted : 14 March 2020 17:57:16

tf64 wrote:

This is turning into a great build Tony,I do build plastic bikes myself so I can see and appreciate the work you are putting to "Fat Boy"

Well done

Trev

Many thanks Trev.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#73 Posted : 14 March 2020 18:01:11

SATURDAY 14TH MARCH - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 16

Well sadly this has turned out to be my second disappointment this weekend.

I have been having issues with the paint finish on some of the silver/grey parts which has seen these being replaced.

However, I thought at this stage of the build (were the bodywork is more or less complete) there would be now more issues but, in this pack, you get two exhaust pipe pieces that are chromed and the finish is awful – more on that later.

Its also an issue with very little to do, with stages 51 and 52 telling you that you will be unable to complete that particular stage until additional parts arrive in pack 60.

There are “lean” months with these sorts of build but it does seem odd to be at stages 51 and 52 to be told you have to wait till stage 60 to complete.

At 3 stages per month that is another 3 packs (3 months) I have to wait just to complete these 2 stages – ah well onwards and upwards as they say.

STAGE 50 – MOUNTING THE NUMBER PLATE

PICTURE 3

In this stage we get:

The Rear Right Indicator Bracket and Indicator

We also need to recover from earlier stages:

The Rear Fender Assemble

From Stage 2 – The Number Plate with the Harley Davidson Logo and Red Reflector

PICTURE 4

We start by carefully pulling the pre-wired indicator wires through the bracket and press fitting the indicator into place.

PICTURES 5 & 6

Taking the Rear Fender Assemble we identify the small square hole as arrowed in pic 6

PICTURE 7

We pass the indicators lead plug through this hole and then line up the 3 pegs on the bracket with the 3 holes in the fender and press fit into place.

PICTURE 8

We then need to find the number plate that was supplied way back in stage 2

PICTURE 9

We need to separate the number plate from its bracket carefully. There are 2 pegs on the red reflector that hold the number plate and bracket together.

PICTURE 10

We then take the bracket and 2 x Type E screws. Need to be very careful as the E screws are only a fraction smaller (1mm) than some of the other black screws.

PICTURES 11 & 12

Identify the 2 holes in the rear fender and then screw the bracket into place. On mine I found tightening one of the screws down pull the bracket out of true.

I have corrected that but looking at it I think it needs some further adjustment just to get it perfectly square.

PICTURE 13

Once the bracket is in place, we can replace the number plate. I have added the protective film back to the number plate to protect it from damage while the rest of the build continues.
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#74 Posted : 14 March 2020 18:04:48

STAGE 51 – BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND RIGHT FOOTREST

PICTURES 14 & 15

In this stage we get:

Exhaust Pipe (issues with this part that I will discuss later)

From Stage 38 – Right Frame Half and a Type K Screw

From Stage 35 – Right Footrest and a Type F Screw

COMING IN STAGE 60 – Brake Light Switch

To be honest there seemed very little point in adding the footrest to the frame and I will wait to complete that until the switch arrives in stage 60.

Looking at the instructions it seems the switch connects to the frame behind the footrest.
14..JPG
15..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#75 Posted : 14 March 2020 18:07:16

STAGE 52 – PASSENGER FOOTREST AND BASE OF THE TANK

PICTURE 16

In this stage we get:

The second exhaust pipe (issues with this part that I will discuss later)

STAGE 17 – The Reservoir Base

STAGE 34 – The Left Half of the Frame and a Type F screw

COMING IN STAGE 60 – The Passenger Footrest

Again, I can see little point in just fitting the tank base to one half of the frame as I do not want to end up damaging the part in storage so again this stage will be left until some future time.

PROBLEMS WITH THIS PACK

So, onto my reasons for feeling disappointed with this pack.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Both exhaust pipes have issues with the chrome finish. Its really difficult to pick up on camera but the whole surfaces of both exhaust pipes are very rough with either dust in the chrome finish or possible rust coming through the chrome.

Its not surface dust that has stuck but is actual inclusions in the chrome plating itself.

I have been onto customer services and they have asked what stages this issue relates to so have supplied that detail (again) and hoping Monday I get a reply.

So, all in all a very short and un-inspiring build stage this time.

Just hoping my next packs may bring some cheer but looking forward to getting this one finished now because of the issues I have been having.
File Attachment(s):
17..jpeg (46kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
18..jpeg (57kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
16..JPG
19..JPG
Happy Modelling

tf64
#76 Posted : 14 March 2020 22:48:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tony, sorry to see the problems you are having with your build, the only thing I see is that the parts are not checked at all, apart from that, love the build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gandale
#77 Posted : 15 March 2020 00:32:17

You're doing a great job Tony, she's looking fab....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#78 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:07:23

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I’m sure they’ll sort it for you, coming on nicely though Tony.Love Love

Mark
birdaj2
#79 Posted : 18 April 2020 20:41:09

SATURDAY 18TH APRIL - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 17

Despite all of the problems this “disease” is causing at least my part works are coming through on time at the moment and for that I think A BIG THANKYOU is right for all the warehouse staff that have the job of packing and despatching these boxes.

The build still feels a “little disjointed” in as much as the assemble guide again this month shows parts in place that will not actually arrive until Stage 60.

While I held off last month installing some of the parts because of this I have since looked at the frame parts and I am fairly happy that when I get to stage 60 the Passenger footrests and the switch should be easy enough to screw into place without having to take everything apart.

And on a positive note this pack finally sees a number of the sub=assemblies being joined together (a stage I have really been looking forward to.

STAGE 53 – FIXING THE ENGINE TO THE FRAME

PICTURE 1

In this stage we get:

Support Bar for Passenger Footrest

Support for the Rear Shock Absorbers

Stickers for Frame (left and right)

1 x Type I Screw

From Stage 36 – The Engine

Stage 52 = Left Hand Frame Half

PICTURE 2

I am back tracking to last month and will install this footrest to the frame.

PICTURE 3

It fits in with a peg into a hole and is then secured with 1 screw.
It’s a nice firm fit once on place and I think the detail looks really nice.

PICTURE 4

Again, from previous stages I had left this Tank Base until later but looking at the instructions now is the best time to put this in place.

PICTURE 5

Its fitted using 2 of the 4 screws provided, and again fits in place with no problems at all.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#80 Posted : 18 April 2020 20:45:20

STAGE 5 – THE FRAME ASSEMBLY

PICTURE 6

In this stage we get:

Rear Brake Disc (Right Side)

Rear Wheel Sprocket (Left Side)

Rear Axle 7.35cm, threaded, with 3.5mm diameter nut

From Stage 51 – Right Frame

From Stage 53 – Left Frame

PICTURE 7

Joining the engine and the 2 frame halves requires a number of screws as can be seen in this picture.

PICTURE 8

We also need to pull out from storage that lovely looking engine that was put together in previous stages.

PICTURE 9

The frame halves go together fairly well but the paint on 2 of the pegs meant a tight fit into the holes on the corresponding frame half. To get around this I used a couple of clamps to pull everything in nice and tight.

We start screwing it all together beginning with the 2 arrowed holes you can see in this picture.

PICTURES 10 & 11

And this is what the frame looks like with the engine in place.
Its heavy but “boy” does it look good.

6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
Happy Modelling