Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<4567>
Tony's "Fat Boy" Build Options
birdaj2
#101 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:05:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

FRIDAY 17TH JULY 2020 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 20

PCTURES 1 Through 6

From what I have no learnt it appears build guides are now being left out of the monthly packs with the intention the builder downloads the instructions from the model site itself.

However, in the latest pack received yesterday it seems the parts sent to me are from the release that was done by Altya in France.

Each set of parts is accompanied by a Very good illustrated booklet (certainly of a higher standard that the booklet we were initially getting with the UK version.

It seems the French version also had the instructions for that stage as an individual printed page.

I can appreciate the reasoning in terms of coats of leaving out these guides and replacing the building instructions with downloadable versions but for me I really like the guides.

The initial HMS victory and Sovereign of the Seas booklets were a wealth of information and I found them very interesting.

Maybe in the minority on this but would have liked to had the option of all the Harley printed guides.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#102 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:09:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

STAGE 63 – THE REAR WHEEL

PICTURE 7

In this stage we get:

Support for the Oil Filter
Exhaust Cover
Oil Filter
Starter Cover
Type K Screw

PICTURES 8 & 9

We also need the following parts:

From Stage 26 – Drive Wheel
From Stage 56 – The Rear Wheel
From Stage 54 – 73.5mm axle for the rear wheel, and nut
From Stage 27 – Rear Brake Disc

PICTURES 10 & 11

Up until this point I had not fitted the rear tyre to the rear wheel or fitted the connectors so that was the first thing to do in this stage.

PICTURE 12

We then press fit the Drive Wheel onto the left side of the rear wheel.

PICTURE 13

The Brake Disc is next and this is press fitted on its support on the right side of the rear wheel.

PICTURES 14 & 15

Taking the very heavy engine block and frame we need to loop the drive belt over the Drive Wheel on the rear wheel as we line up the wheel between the rear swingarm.

This is then all secured using the 73.5mm axle (not quite sure how they have measured this axle as end to end its longer than the advertised 73.5mm and needs to be in order to pass through this assembly).
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#103 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:13:06

STAGE 64 – FITTING THE TAIL LIGHT

PICTURE 16

In this stage we get: (and use none of these parts this time)

Type N Screw x 1
Gear Cover
The Transmission Case
Timer Cover

PICTURES 17 & 18

From Stage 62 – Pieces of the Tail Light
From Stage 50 – The Rear Fender
1 x Type C Screw

PICTURE 19

Its at this stage I noticed something looking a bit odd in terms of the rear indicator lights.

The wires are routed through a slot in the indicator arm and I thought it looked odd having this visible.

Only after checking did I realise I had fitted the brackets the wrong way around so as these are just press fit it was easy to rectify.

PICTURES 20 & 21

We start by threading the cable on the rear light through the large hole on the rear fender.

The rear light assembly then press fits into the remaining holes on the rear fender

PICTURE 22

Its secured in place with 1 x Type C screw.

PICTURE 23

We complete this stage by clipping the rear light cover in place.

16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#104 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:16:41

STAGE 65 – THE REAR FENDER

PICTURE 24

In this stage we get: (but again do not use at this stage)
1 x Type E Screw
Mud Flap
Set of Seven Cables

PICTURES 25 & 26

I thought it worth mentioning the quality of the mud flap.

Its really nicely made and is a piece of real leather.

PICTURE 27

From Stage 61 – Two Side Reflectors for the Rear Fender.
Four Type U Screws

PICTURE 28

The reflectors are just a press fit into a couple of Hex shaped holes in either side of the fender.

In my case excess paint required cleaning out from these holes so that the reflectors could be pressed into place without having to resort to excess force which could see them break.

PICTURE 29

The rear fender is then placed in the slot between the 2 frame halves, watching out for the routing of the 3 cables coming from the fender itself.

Its secured in place using the 4 x Type U screws.

PICTURES 30 & 31

And for this pack that was all we were required to do.

The bike is really looking good and while I have had some issues during the build, I think it fair to say this has been (so far) my favourite build of all the kits I have tackled.

Just hoping that the remaining 4 packs needed to complete this come through with no issues as and when they are due.

Until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.

24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#105 Posted : 18 July 2020 09:28:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on very nicely Tony.Love

Mark
Gandale
#106 Posted : 18 July 2020 10:02:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent work once again Tony, looks amazing when done.. Just hope you have somewhere nice to display this beast.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#107 Posted : 18 July 2020 10:38:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Amazing work Tony. You must be very chuffed with it.BigGrin
tigerace
#108 Posted : 18 July 2020 20:40:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build TonyBigGrin looks an amazing kit to put togetherBigGrin

regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#109 Posted : 13 August 2020 20:10:55

Happy days.

Email to say my next £27.00 has just been charged.

Loved this bike build to bits - its something after trying cars, ships and the like that i can honestly say i have loved to bits.

Complete “idiot” but to me they seem to be able to scale down bikes and retain amazing detail better than they can other “craft” and i should add that is NOT a dig at deagostini but applies across the piece.

There is just so much detail in this build and it looks so complete a “Mini me” Could ride it.

This one has not been without its challenges and once those set of parts arrive i have 3 more to complete the build.

Was just looking at it tonight and not sure what it is (Maybe a youth never realised) but it looks absolutely fantastic.

Virus caused issues but not as many issues as we will see And my next Hachette Bismarck is in transit (Not sure were that has gone) and the expected ship on the next spitfire is month end.

Its “odd” but bismarck goes in a crate (not even been tempted to start that one) and although the spitfire build so far is fairly detailed i would be honest and say none of these give me the same excitement as my Harley build has been doing.

I am so tempted by the Honda CB50 but confidence is lacking on how would do this late in getting parts. I am not a patient person.

Happy days

Tony
Happy Modelling

tnequette
#110 Posted : 13 August 2020 23:08:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work. The choppers are fun, aren't they?BigGrin

Tom
delboy271155
#111 Posted : 15 August 2020 19:31:41

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is definitely coming on well.

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

I`ve built the Busa kit and was very impressed with that.

If I was to build another, then I think the Easy rider would be my choice. I love a bit of nostalgia.Cool

Keep it going.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#112 Posted : 22 August 2020 21:08:30

Thanks everyone that has been kind enough to leave a comment.

Derek agree with you on the Easy Rider - I like the look of that one.

At the moment my possible next build (still early days in deciding) is edging between the Honda and the Easy Rider.

Will have to see once I finish this one.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#113 Posted : 22 August 2020 21:12:19

SATURDAY 22nd AUGUST 2020 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 21

Similar to last month the parts and build guides from the release that was done by Altya in France.

Each set of parts is accompanied by a Very good illustrated booklet (certainly of a higher standard that the booklet we were initially getting with the UK version.

It seems the French version also had the instructions for that stage as an individual printed page.

While the pictures need few words to understand the assembly it does appear the French offering had the parts in different pack numbers so I have had to resort to the UK downloadable version of the instructions just to ensure I get things in the correct order.

STAGE 66 – THE TRANSMISSION

PICTURE 1

In this stage we get:

Four Hoses

Alternative Lens Ring

Two Battery Caps

None of these parts are used and are stored away until required in some future issue.

PICTURE 2

From Stage 63 – Starter Cover

From Stage 61 – Transmission Housing

From Stage 64 – The Transmission Case

From Stage 65 – The Main Assembly of the Bike

PICTURES 3 & 4

The Transmission Case is fitted over this centre section of the bike and is secured in place using 1 x F screw.

PICTURE 5

The Transmission Housing is then press fixed into place on the Transmission Case.

PICTURE 6

We then take the Starter Cover and this is also press fitted into place.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#114 Posted : 22 August 2020 21:15:31

STAGE 67 – THE REAR SUSPENSION

PICTURE 7

In this stage we get: (and use none of these parts this time)

Right Saddlebag Mount

Allen Key

PICTURE 8

From Stage 44 – The Rear Suspension System

From Stage 21 – The Battery Box

3 x Type H Screws

PICTURE 9

In an earlier part of my build I mentioned this suspension unit as being “odd” in as much it sounded as if there was something in the cylinders, but in terms of its function there was no movement.

Well in fact this is a functioning unit with some very powerful springs built in.

The rear part fits into a clip on the rear swingarm, and the front is secured in place over 2 pegs and screwed down using one of the Type H screws.

Pressing down on the rear of the bike reveals a very functional suspension once in place.

PICTURE 10

Next up is the battery box and this is secured in place using the remaining 2 Type H screws.

7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#115 Posted : 22 August 2020 21:18:07

STAGE 68 – THE DISTRIBUTION

PICTURES 11 & 12

The Left Saddlebag

PICTURE 13

From Stage 12 – The Distribution Block

From Stage 15 – The Oil Pump

From Stage 18 – The four pushrods and the two supports

From Stage 67 – The Main Assembly

PICTURE 14

We start by press fitting the Oil Pump into place on the Distribution Block.

Very tight fit this was and took some “force” to get it to sit correctly.

PICTURE 15

Holding the bike assembly at an angle we then insert the 4 pushrods into the holes in the underside of the cylinder heads.

These are a loose fit so we need to keep the bike angled to stop them falling out while we do the next part.

PICTURE 16

Having slide the 2 supports into the distribution block we install this in place as we also insert the 4 pushrods into the holes on the supports.

Quite tricky especially as the bike is now heavy and the last thing, we want is any mishap dropping it.

We then use a Type F screw to secure the Distribution Block in place.

11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#116 Posted : 22 August 2020 21:21:04

STAGE 69 – THE TIMER AND GEAR COVERS

PICTURE 17

The Two Backrest Side Plates

Tail Light Cover

Two Type T and Four Type G Screws

PICTURE 18

From Stage 64 – The Gear Cover

From Stage 64 – The Timer Cover

From Stage 68 – The Main Assembly

PICTURE 19

The Timer Cover is inserted into the space on the Gear Cover. It’s a keyed piece so you can only put it in one way.

Its secured from inside the Gear Cover using 1 x Type N screw.

PICTURE 20

This assembly is then press fitted into place on the Distribution Block (arrowed in this picture).

PICTURES 21 & 22

And having completed the assembly stages from this latest pack this is how everything is now looking.

Just 3 packs away from completing this build.

Until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.

17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#117 Posted : 23 August 2020 09:22:59

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Tony, it looks heavy.Love Love

Love the sidesaddle.

Mark
roymattblack
#118 Posted : 23 August 2020 10:05:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

It's starting to look very substantial. I bet this is going to be BIG.
Lovely work.BigGrin
birdaj2
#119 Posted : 23 August 2020 20:44:11

Mark/Roy

Thanks.

Yes it is heavy and i am extra extra careful were i put it between build sessions so the cat does not knock it over.

It is my favourite build so far.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#120 Posted : 18 September 2020 17:41:37

FRIDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2020 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 22 (and just 2 more to go before its finished)

PCTURES 1 & 2

Similar to last month the parts and build guides from the release that was done by Altya in France.

While the pictures need few words to understand the assembly it does appear the French offering had the parts in different pack numbers so I have had to resort to the UK downloadable version of the instructions just to ensure I get things in the correct order.

Should just add that of the 3 build books provided this month only 2 of them came with assembly instructions with 1 missing. No real issue as I am using the online build guides for this one.

STAGE 70 – THE LEFT SADDLEBAG SUPPORT

PICTURE 3

In this stage we get:

The Left Saddlebag Support

This part is not used and is stored away until required in some future issue.

PICTURES 4 & 5

From Stage 19 - Air Filter Box

From Stage 19 - Air Filter Caps

From Stage 3 – Air Filter Cover

Main Assembly

PICTURE 6

The Air Filter Box will be secured to the engine through the 2 holes you can see arrowed in this picture.

PICTURE 7

When in place we insert the air filter lining.

An interesting part being a foam over a wire mesh piece that once in place will never ever be seen again 😊

PICTURE 8

We then press fit the 2 screw cover plates into place. I was unsure these would stay put but they actually clip into a couple of ridges that are moulded into the air filter unit.

PICTURES 9 & 10

Last up is to secure the Air Filter Cover. Its important to identify the tab (seen arrowed in pic 9) as this locates into a lot on the air filter unit.

The cover is secured in place using one of the allen key headed Type “M” screws. The Allen key having been supplied in a previous section.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
Happy Modelling