Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
1/48 Tamiya Lancaster Project - Motorized with Lighting and Sound Options
S4Simon
#1 Posted : 07 May 2019 13:44:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well my Deagostini R2 build has been on hold now for 12 months due to the Australian dispatch company going bankrupt, so thought it time to bring forward an epic build which I've dreamt about for decades. That is to build a large scale Lancaster and install lighting and motors and synchronize this up to a Lancaster startup and shutdown sequence. Lots of googling and I found a guy in Eastern Europe that designs the computers to make this all happen. So many nights thinking about how to put this all together. I'm 3 months into the build with another month or so to go till completion.

Hopefully this weekend I can finally bring the aircraft together for the first time and finally seal her up. Then I can start to do some final editing of the soundtrack, apply different weights to the props and balance them so that they better sync with the engine soundtrack, so as to get a better startup/shutdown experience.

This build has produced a lot of firsts for me. I'm new to airbrushing so this is the first plane that I've used the airbrush on. The 40 year old decals looked pretty naff after all this time so I've gone with a masking kit for 90% of the markings. Plus trying to integrate all the electronics with a chunky cool starter button, and then trying to run the whole thing off lithium batteries for model displays (worked fine with the plug in transformer but a few overheating issues using Lithium).

Anyway enjoy the pics of the build thus far. Sorry for the pic intensive post. As a bonus there's a video at the end which shows the startup/shutdown sequence - still in early days.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8R89j5W52g[/youtube]

Lancaster Startup Video
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:06:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

DaDokta
#3 Posted : 08 May 2019 09:56:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 May 2019 11:38:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, excellent build. Loved the videoLove

Mark
Gandale
#5 Posted : 08 May 2019 13:30:06

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very interesting build and great work being shown.... very well done....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 08 May 2019 13:42:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Drool Now this looks very interesting!
A lot of work but will be worth it in the end ThumpUp
Regards Gray
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 11 May 2019 07:45:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Major hurdle passed this weekend. The fuselage has been sealed up and everything still works. Major effort trying to get all the wiring in and not severing wires. Fuselage painted as well. That's it till next weekend.

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Kev the Modeller
#8 Posted : 11 May 2019 19:59:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nice work Simon, looks like an interesting project. Very well done! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 12 May 2019 09:24:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You have a lovely finish on your aircraft Simon.

It looks a really good model to work with.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#10 Posted : 12 May 2019 09:37:43

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very impressive work, looks fab.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
S4Simon
#11 Posted : 15 May 2019 11:38:18

Starting to look like a proper plane now. Build and Paintwork finished. Now to start on the weathering, plus finish off the diorama base. Added weights to props, balanced and test run okay. Lighting okay. Pics and a small vid at the end to show progress.

https://youtu.be/lP_gm1ELFNc

Markwarren
#12 Posted : 15 May 2019 14:33:02

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive build Simon.Love Drool

Mark
Gandale
#13 Posted : 17 May 2019 09:36:03

Love how this is turning out Simon, amazing work.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
S4Simon
#14 Posted : 17 May 2019 11:54:37

Laying the turf tonight. Props are on for the last time. I'll try and darken the turf tomorrow to try and dull it down a bit. Then onto the final wiring.

PS. I was right about the 40 year old decals. The little ones I put on - most just vapourised when I touched them.

tigerace
#15 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:30:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

S4Simon wrote:
Laying the turf tonight. Props are on for the last time. I'll try and darken the turf tomorrow to try and dull it down a bit. Then onto the final wiring.

PS. I was right about the 40 year old decals. The little ones I put on - most just vapourised when I touched them.

Looks great SimonBigGrin i had the same problem with my decalsCrying regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

S4Simon
#16 Posted : 18 May 2019 03:58:14

Well after 3 months of frustration and building it's pretty much done. Lots of learning along the way. The diorama has scrubbed up okay. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, I just like to try something different every now and then. A couple of pics of the finished item. Vids to follow. :-)

Thanks all for your kind comments along the way. :-) :-)

S4Simon
#17 Posted : 18 May 2019 06:48:28

Lancaster Bomber Diorama - Completed Video

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 18 May 2019 07:25:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very impressive indeed. Really like your engine startup sequence.

Would you still have any details of your electronics supplier please?

Well done indeed.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
S4Simon
#19 Posted : 18 May 2019 07:37:55

Dynamic scale modeling.

Dynamicscalemodeling

Let google translate the page. Great little kits. A bit of tweaking required, but end result is good.

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 18 May 2019 09:49:21

Excellent work Simon, a work of art.Love Drool

Mark