Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
Tony's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S Build Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 27 July 2019 22:42:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely progress Tony, she's coming along beautifully....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#42 Posted : 27 July 2019 23:01:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Alan

Many thanks.

It certainly is a lovely model. The detail is incredible even down to be able to read the switch labels on the console.

Like many models i was so up for this one first time it came out but funds were not available at that time so really pleased when they relaunched it.

So far its all going together so well i would highly recommend this kit to anyone thinking of building a large scale car kit.

I will have to start thinking about how i will end up dispjaying all of these as i have 3 more editions before the porsche is complete, a fair way to go on the jaguar and same with the harley fat boy. As to the EAGLEMOSS Aston i won't even mention that (whoops i just did).

I saw some cases on ebay but they are ok for a single kit at around £120 but not ideal for a range of models (ie will cost a fortune).

Never been to an ikea store but they do a glass display cabinet for around the same price as one ebay car case but not sure about the shelf weights.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#43 Posted : 27 July 2019 23:58:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I'm sure you have the necessary skills to make your own display cases, should be able to find a number of vids on the tube to help you along. Local carpenter would also be able to knock something up and probably at a good rate too....

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#44 Posted : 28 July 2019 00:11:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A great build so far. I bet you're having fun.
I'm now on my 3rd build of this one as custom builds.
There's just SOOOO much you can do with it.

A really great kit.
Keep it coming.
Kev the Modeller
#45 Posted : 28 July 2019 13:05:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work so far Tony and coming together beautifully, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
mogwai
#46 Posted : 28 July 2019 13:14:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony coming along well,I agree it's a great looking car .cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Spal
#47 Posted : 28 July 2019 20:33:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its coming along nicely TonyCool For me this car kit has to be the best I have built to date.

Al
birdaj2
#48 Posted : 08 September 2019 18:29:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

PACK 8 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 08th SEPTEMBER 2019

My Pack 8 arrived yesterday. This time it’s a 3-section set of parts.

CATCH UP FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS

Still outstanding is the “varnishing” of the car seats.

Need to get these sorted as it is soon, we fit the seat belts to these. I am still in 2 minds as looking at both seats they look fine to me and not sure spraying a load of satin varnish over them will make very much difference.

Need to decide fairly soon as we het the first set of seat belts in this pack although they are not used at this stage.

STAGE 25 – THE FRONT COMPARTMENT 2

PICTURE 1

The parts included this time are

Upper Cage
Brake Servo
Brake Master Cylinder
Spare Wheel Belts x 2
A/C Dehumidifier hose
A/C Condenser Hose
Brake Fluid Reservoir
Screws

PICTURES 2 & 3

We take the front compartment assemble from an earlier stage and lift out the spare wheel.

Also needed are the 2 x Belt Stopper Brackets that came in the last section.

PICTURES 4, 5, 6 & 7

We feed the metal tab from the spare wheel straps through the slots in the front compartment base.

You need to angle these in the get them through.

The hole in each metal tab is placed over the pin as can be seen in
Picture 4.

These metal tabs are then retained in place using the Belt stopper brackets (Picture 5 & 6)

Picture 7 shows how the straps look once in place.

PICTURES 8 & 9

We now take the supplied A/C Condenser hose and the A/C Dehumidifier hose and using tweezers press fit these into place in the front compartment.

PICTURE 10

And this is how things look once the 2 hoses are in place.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#49 Posted : 08 September 2019 18:36:12

STAGE 26 – THE FRONT COMPARTMENT 3

PICTURE 11

The parts included this time are:

Windscreen Washer Tank
Battery
Clutch Fluid Reservoir
Battery Cable +
Battery Cable –
Heater Blower
Heater Hose
Horn
Screws

PICTURES 12 & 13

We take the brake servo from the previous stage and ensuring it’s the correct way around (a large and a small pin ensure this cannot be confused) and then press fit this into the bulkhead in the from compartment.

We can see this part in place in Picture 13 indicated by the arrow.

PICTURES 14 & 15

The next part to fit in place is the Brake Master Cylinder. This again press fits into place in the rear bulk head and the lead is fed through a hole in the bulk head.

PICTURES 16 & 17

We “say goodbye” to the lovely detail on the spare wheel as this will now be screwed into the front compartment

PICTURE 18

We now take the Brake Fluid Reservoir onto the top of the Brake Master Cylinder. This again is just a press fit and does not require glue.

PICTURE 19

The last part to fit is the Cage over the spare wheel. This is screwed in place and then the 2 straps fitted earlier are clipped in place.
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#50 Posted : 08 September 2019 18:42:17

STAGE 27 – THE FRONT COMPARTMENT 4

PICTURE 20

In this stage we get the following parts:

Battery Box and Cover
Seat Belt
Seat Belt Decals (2 are spare)
Ashtray
Gearstick
Gearstick Base

As none of these parts are required at this stage, I have not opened them to ensure nothing gets lost while in storage.

PICTURE 21 & 22

From the previous stage we take the battery and fit this to the rear bulkhead securing it from behind using 2 x M2.3 x 5mm washer screws.

PICTURE 23 & 24

We now take the Windscreen Washer Tank and while the instructions ask you to shape the hose on mine it never retained the shape it is supposed to take on so need to do that again and apply some gentle hairdryer heat to set in to the required shape.

You could also remove the hose an insert a small diameter piece of wire into the hose as this would allow the shape to be retained.

Picture 24 shows this part in place with its hose running out through a hold in the rear bulk head.

PICTURES 25 & 26

We now press fit together the Heater Blower and Heater Hose.
This is put into place and secured in position with a M2.3 x 5mm washer screw.

Picture 26 shows the Front Compartment with the battery leads, Horn (Red part) and hear parts in place.

Its all looking very busy and very nicely detailed.

All that remains to do is put the front compartment back in its bag and store it away until its called for in some future stage.

So, until the next shipment that completes Pack 8.
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#51 Posted : 08 September 2019 19:06:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking really great so far.
There are a good few options and ways to upgrade this model.

I built it for a contact last year and really enjoyed it.
I'd love to build one for myself at some point.

Keep it coming. lovely work.

Roy.
Gandale
#52 Posted : 08 September 2019 23:19:18

Making lovely progress Tony, all looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#53 Posted : 10 November 2019 19:11:35

Normal service will resume shortly.LOL

The last 2 packs are similar in the build tasks required.

As those tasks involve gloss coating suspension parks and working on 2 sets of seat belts I decided to hold off until both packs arrived so that I could work on these as a one off.

Hopefully may get some more of this completed in the next week.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#54 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:11:04

PACK 9, 10 & 11 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 31st December 2019

Must admit that it’s been a good few months since I last updated on this build.

Number of factors to be honest, family illness, work worries (been tupied over to a different company, local office shut and had a “bit of a fight” getting home working status or it would have meant a daily commute to the outskirts of Bristol and not being a driver and having caring responsibilities been a worry), and overall having some more “complex” parts of the build to cover off so it’s been on hold for some time.

Anyhow a week away from work thanks to Christmas meant I have been able to get myself back on track with this build and a couple of others.

I do sometimes wonder if these standard out of the box builds have much interest to others as I am not really showing anything new or anything that has not already been done but for this and my Harley I will post to completion.

Hopefully in the New Year I can post a build diary on something new which may have some more interest.

CATCH UP FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS

Still outstanding is the “varnishing” of the car seats. But that will remain outstanding as having looked at them I am more than happy with the finish and last thing I want to do is make a poor job of coating these and making more problems for myself.

So, for this instalment we continue were we last left off at the end of Pack 8.

STAGE 28 – TESTING THE PEDALS, AND FITTING THE GEARSTICK

PICTURE 1

The parts included this time are

Passenger Foot Rest
LED Test Board
Pedal Switch Plate
M2.3mm x 5mm Washers screws x 3

PICTURES 2 & 3

We need to make a small modification to the test board – namely removing a small section from each of the white sockets so we can remove the plugs without issue when the tests are complete.

We also need to use 3 AAA type batteries in the battery box that was supplied in Stage 27 (Not to self – get yourself some decent batteries Tony 😊)

PICTURES 4 & 5

At this stage we are told to plug Red/Black lead into the socket marked “SWITCH”. Press the corresponding foot pedal and we should see the Red lead on the test board light – success.

We then carry out the same exercise with the Brake cable (lead with 2 green leads)

The foot pedal unit is no longer required until later in the build so for now we remove the batteries from the battery box and store these parts away until called for again.

PICTURES 6, 7 & 8

Final part of this build stage is all press fit. First the gear shift quadrant is press fitted into place followed by the gear lever (this is keyed with a “D” shape profile so you can only fit this one way – the correct way)

The ashtray is then press fitted into the centre console and we finish off this section by fitting the passenger foot rest.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3..JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#55 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:42:39

STAGE 29 – FITTING THE SEAT BELTS AND FLOOR MATS

PICTURE 9

The Parts included this time are:

Seat Belt
Seat Belt decals (2 are spare)
Drivers Floor Mat
Passengers Floor Mat

We will also need the following parts:

Seat Belt and Seat Belt decals from (Stage 27)
Cockpit Floor Assembly (Stage 28)
Driver’s Seat (Stage 3)
Passenger Seat (Stage 16)
M2.3mm x 6mm self tapping screws x 4 (Stage 20)

PICTURE 10

The first thing we are asked to do is move the seat belt adjusters to the ends of each strap.

In order to try and remove some of the creases in the belts we are asked to soak them in some warm water for “several minutes”.

PICTURE 14

Having soaked the belts in water we are then asked to stretch them across a piece of cardboard and allow to dry out.

PICTURE 12 & 23

The instructions go into some detail on how we can make the seatbelt decals look more “Natural”. As supplied the self-adhesive decals are a high gloss finish.

They recommend spraying the decals with Mr Color Metal Primer. When that is dry, they then suggest spraying with Mr Color Matt Varnish.

While I had the primer, I did not have the Matt Spray (and for a one-off task like this I think the cost excessive) so I used Mr Colour Flat Clear from a Jar.

PICTURES 46 & 47

Once the decals have been varnished and are nice and dry, we are then asked to fix these onto some double-sided tape.

Now I thought about this and standard double-sided tape can discolour, or become “gooey” over time. So, I opted to use a tape designed for securing tapestry and cross stich canvases.

Picture 47 shows the 4 decals in place on the double-sided tape. We then need to use a very sharp craft knife to cut around the edges.

PICTURES 48 & 49

Having dried out the previously soaked seatbelts we are ready to add the decals. I never managed to get all of the creasing out of my belts but I am happy enough with how they look.

PICTURES 50 & 51

The lower ends of each seat belt fit into a matching slot under each of the seats. The seats are then lined up with the holes in the cockpit floor and are secured in place with 2 x M2.3mm x 6mm ST screws.

The upper seat belt parts are secured over the pins in the cockpit tub.

PICTURES 52, 53 & 54

The last part of this stage is to add the 2 foot mats. Unfortunately, mine appear to have some wrinkles in them but I am not going to worry too much about this and have put both into their respective places as can be seen in pictures 53 and 54.
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
14.JPG
12.JPG
23.JPG
46.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
49.JPG
50.JPG
51.JPG
52.JPG
53.JPG
54.JPG
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#56 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:42:44

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice update Love Love Tony, nice to have a Christmas break and catch up on things.BigGrin Cool

Mark
birdaj2
#57 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:52:12

STAGE 30 – ATTACHING THE REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS

PICTURE 15

The Parts included this time are:
Rear Shock Absorber Bracket
Rear Shock Absorbers
M2.6 x 8.5mm screws x 5

PICTURE 17

In this and some of the following stages we are asked to gloss coat certain areas of the shock absorbers.

PICTURE 16

We mask off the areas indicated in the instructions to just leave the top sections of the shock absorbers ready for a gloss coat.

PICTURE 19

When dry we fix these 2 shock absorbers in place in the support frame using 2 of the M2.3 x 8.5mm screws.

You just need to ensure you leave the shock absorbers able to move once in position.
15.JPG
17.JPG
16.JPG
19.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#58 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:56:10

PACK 10

STAGE 31 – FITTING THE SECOND SET OF REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS

PICTURE 18

Rear Shock Absorber Bracket (Lower)
Rear Shock Absorbers

We follow exactly the same sequence as before and mask up both shock absorbers ready for a selective gloss coat.

PICTURE 20

When dry these 2 remaining absorbers are fixed in place on the shock absorber bracket.
18.JPG
20.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#59 Posted : 31 December 2019 22:59:03

STAGE 32 – THE LEFT FRONT SUSPENSION ARM

PICTURE 21

Left Lower Front Suspension Arm
Anti-Roll Bar Link Rod
Front Shock Absorber
Front Shock Spring
Left Upper Front arm Pivot
Washer A
M2.6mm x 12mm Self Tapping Screw x 3

PICTURES 24 & 25

Having again gloss coated the top section of the shock absorber we are asked to screw this into place along with the anti-roll bar using one of the M2.6mm x 12mm screws.
21.JPG
24.JPG
25.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#60 Posted : 31 December 2019 23:01:23

STAGE 33 – THE RIGHT LOWER FRONT SUSPENSION ARM

PICTURE 22

The Parts Supplied this time are:

Washer A
Front Shock Spring
Right Upper Front Arm Pivot
Anti-Roll Bar Link Rod
Front Shock Absorber
Right Lower Front Suspension Arm

PICTURES 26 & 27

Again, very much of a repeat part of the build with the upper part of the shock absorber being gloss coated.

We then screw all 3 parts together as shown in picture 27.
22.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
Happy Modelling